Question: Traveling with a lightsaber?

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We're off to Disney World on Wednesday, and we're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on Sunday night. I'm going to dress as Obi Wan, and I haven't decided if I should take my lightsaber or not. I have a Roman's Empire kit on its way to me, so it's an all metal replica. Has anyone traveled with something like this before? We are flying, so I would be packing it in my checked bag. Would it be best to have it disassembled or assembled? Or should I just leave it at home?

Lightsabers fall under the lethal weapon category.

You need to have your permit ready and your weapon inspected before taking flight.

Honestly, it should be fine, disassemble is always better.

Be warned that through the xray it could show up as a pipe bomb... so let them know since you are taking it as a checked in.

I would mail it 2-3 express to your hotel under your name and inform the hotel to expect it.

I've heard both good and bad stories about flying with a saber. Depending on the situation you run the risk of missing your flight because of pre-flight hold-ups or having it taken away at the airport. Being metal makes it more of a risk.

As much as it stinks I'd go with the $10 Hasbro plastic belt hanger, or mail it.

Is this the ANH Obi saber? The one that has a large section that is a replica of a grenade?

Mail it.

Return flight leaving Denver after Celebration 1 (week after the Columbine school shootings)
Coming straight from the Con still in costume, saber in carry on and in full X-Wing pilot costume.
Really bad idea.

Delayed at the security check point, they thought everything was a bomb including my helmet (all security people from Ghana, hardly spoke any English and had never even heard of Star Wars) and (because of me) over a half hour delay taking off.
Even had to talk to security at the front of the plane to explain the getup even with convention pass and hat.
Stewardess thought i was going to pull a DB Cooper and jump out.

That was pre 911 so having it declared or better yet sent ahead would be a good idea.
Our weapons arrived at the convention with a friend that took the train.

You really think a single person in the TSA is going to recognize a torn-apart WWII German grenade?

Just check it in your bags.

I think they wont know what to make of it and since its metal, cylindrical, and has value, rather than risk screwing up a vacation and getting your prop taken away, I'm suggesting the OP play it safe and mail it. Why tempt fate, you know?

Also, as James Kenobi said, its a WWI British grenade.

You really think a single person in the TSA is going to recognize a torn-apart WWII German grenade?

Just check it in your bags.

Buddy... the TSA were ready to strip me and anal probe me for a OPEN TOOTHPASTE TUBE.

I can't imagine what they would do for a metal cylinder with wires in it... *****...

Is it static or can it light up? If so, an all metal pipe with internal electronics and a battery could look like a pipe bomb to x-rays. Don't expect anyone to recognize it as a lightsaber. If it has a battery, take it out. Put it in checked luggage with a note describing what it is. Otherwise mailing it would be best.

Best of luck.

Kevin

just carry it on the plane with you, this is what the Jedi mind trick is for.

on a more serious note, I wright a note to the security people that I put in my luggage on the very top.
It could read some thing like
" To: the TSA the big metal object you are looking for is a frying pan because my aunt June has cheep old aluminum pans with scratched up Teflon coating, everything either sticks to them or burns. hence the frying pan."

Some times They wright funny things back.

It's a prop not a gun. Don't sweat it. Even traveling with guns is easy.

Traveling with guns is easy because everyone (even TSA employees) knows what they are and there are established protocol for dealing with them. Props don't have either of those going for them. Just the fact that its something they may or may not recognize, made of metal, and then has an unusual story to explain it could cause problems. Sure, it might not even be noticed, but why take that chance when there are less risky ways to transport a lightsaber?

Traveling with guns is easy because everyone (even TSA employees) knows what they are and there are established protocol for dealing with them. Props don't have either of those going for them. Just the fact that its something they may or may not recognize, made of metal, and then has an unusual story to explain it could cause problems. Sure, it might not even be noticed, but why take that chance when there are less risky ways to transport a lightsaber?

Bolded so the truth can remain on the internet for ever.

i got stopped because of a USB drive in the base of a pen. I say leave it at home. Besides, nobody will critique you if you have the hasbro.

We were at the party this weekend and had a blast, I went as Goofy. Be sure to hit up the food and wine festival too.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back