Question Regarding Painting a Resin Bust

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
This might seem dumb, but I wanted to ask anyway:

I have a resin bust I am painting, but I have a problem with the base coat I am using: Krylon Fusion which is supposed to bond to plastic. After I applied the Krylon coat and let it dry, I noticed that I can easily scratch it off with my fingernail. Should I apply more coats, is this normal or should I be using something else for a base coat primer on a resin bust?

Hmmm... well, I don't know what to tell you for sure. When I paint plastics, I usually go with a can of automotive bonding primer. Not the high-solids filler, just the bond.

You would think that Krylon Fusion would be ideal, but it takes it forever to cure, and you'd have to sand it once it dried. Paint doesn't like to stick to shiney surfaces. Another thought, is that there could be something on the plastic that has contaminated the paint and prevented it from curing correctly.

I also try to do my painting in a room that's warm, or atleast normal room temperature - 60* and up. Normal for our house anyway.

On a sidenote, I've never been too thrilled with Krylon. Their metallics rub off on your fingers, and the clear coats are too hot and turn the metallic finishes dull.

Awwww crud. I always make sure to spray in a warm area and let it dry. This Krylon Fusion doesn't need sanding and this stuff drys very quickly too. I cleaned the resin bust with soapy water before beginning, so I know its clean.

Now that I have a coat of this Krylon on, should I just paint over it with an automotive primer?

Bought some Krylon Rust Tough Primer in grey and applied a small amount to the bust to see if it would also easily scratch off, but this stuff is sticking like glue. I can't scratch it off, so it looks like it worked! Don't know why the other stuff didn't work...oh well at least I found a good primer. Now to find the time to paint!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back