Question on Mando bucket finish

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

mvmagic

I am working on a Mando helmet (and will post a thread about it soonish) and got a question for those of you more experienced with shiny finishes.

I have not 100% decided on the final thing to use, likely Alclad or graphite as Alumaluster is not available locally (does it work well with an airbrush..?).

Yesterday when putting on gloss, I backed onto a leaf blower and turned it on by accident and it blew a ton of dust on the fresh paint so have spent most of today furiously wetsanding. It does looks really great, but its not as deep black.

So my question is about the gloss black base: What would be better, just gloss black paint or polished black which is perfectly smooth but not as black?

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Farrells Props

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I would get the finish as smooth and polished as you can and redo the gloss black to make sure you have full coverage. But if you can polish the gloss black to a high polish without going through, that would look great as well!! Dust is the bane of my existence when painting XD

-F

benhs1898

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Seems like a couple layers of black, sanded smooth and sprayed with a gloss clear coat is another great option.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.