question on gas mask tinting

SerpentineSylph

I am working on a respirator in the style of post apocalyptic art as the videogame Fallout. I have an old MK4 navy gas mask ive rebuilt from the ground up so theres no risk of toxins or asbestos from the actual mask, and doing so involved removing the lenses from their crimped housings. This will be the best time to tint the inside of them, however I cant make the film im using work. I apply it per the directions, and squeegee out the application fluid however nothing helps fight the many wrinkles and creases developing near the edges. this is, to my knowledge, due to the curve of the lens being ever-so-slightly compound whereas it looked like a simple curve in site on the mask. ive read hitting the film with a heat gun can help with installing such film on compound curves in car windows however its not working for me and as these lenses are 70+ years old plastic if I warp them with a heat gun then im screwed royally. Im running out of tinting film to attempt with and i really am at a loss for what to do. I need this tint applied as without it it is completely visible inside the mask and ruins the persona of the character. Any suggestions or recommendations at this point would be greatly appreciated as im stymied in terms of proceeding on this build until this is settled.

Here's what I use - make sure to shake it well and light even coats.

bb43d9f3bbf7fc85f5ec060b44913298.jpg

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and bought it at Autozone for $15.00. Just the night shades - not the quick coat. Works just like rattle can paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does that stuff dry clear enough to see out through it well enough? im going to be wearing this mask for extended periods of several hours on end. Also any idea if it eats certain plastics or rubber?

My main goal was to use this special bronze mirror film i had because the effect looks really nice, so im still looking for any ways i could get that to work but the spray is a last resort now, thanks

I used it on eyes for ewok heads - here's a couple of pics. The eye forms were plastic Christmas ornament balls. I use a light coat and the pic below is looking thru it - works great. Just like a tinted window. As long as you don't have light inside the mask - it works great. I tried film tint and had similar problems to what you mentioned and now have $30 worth of it sitting on a shelf. For $15, this stuff has been great.

4c3c3a1d5d6478b5d1f95f25d7e2eba4.jpg

f8dd7afdae13b30d2ef5dbf6d8f02214.jpg

5f9215d08e0fbc2f2a92aa82b1429326.jpg

so looks like mirrored tint is out the window, and the spray is in. Does it matter if i spray it on the outside vs inside? im planning inside since im planning to bring this to events such as wasteland weekend and burning man and dont want it shredded by the sand. Also, any idea if this stuff eats rubber compounds even after its fully cured?

so looks like mirrored tint is out the window, and the spray is in. Does it matter if i spray it on the outside vs inside? im planning inside since im planning to bring this to events such as wasteland weekend and burning man and dont want it shredded by the sand. Also, any idea if this stuff eats rubber compounds even after its fully cured?

I sprayed on the outside but I'm sure you could do either. I was concerned that I'd get too much build up on the inside if I did it that way. I'm not sure about reaction with rubber. I have the eyes glued on with high temp hot glue and they seem okay. I also have barge cement applied right up to the eyes and haven't had issues. You may want to try the quick coat product to seal them from scratches. Hopefully this could work for you - if it does let me know. If you're trying to utilize a mirrored look - have you looked at mirrored security camera covers?

I just realized that you need flat lenses - this stuff should work really well.

the lenses are very very slightly domed, as in they curve primarily along one single plane from side to side but theres a couple degrees curvature on the vertical axis that is barely perceptable but throws off my attempts at getting smooth film onto it. Fully cured i cant imagine it would be that bad on rubber as theres a rubber gasket around every car window, but i have enough clearance I could probably put a bit of scotch tape around the rim of the lens so the part that goes into the rubber mask wont be in direct contact. Thanks for the reccomendations, i'll look for a can of that stuff. now just to fiberglass a backpack and im back on track for my deadline.

Update: i went to autozone and they didnt have the vht brand spray, but they did have rustoleum. I dont have a lot of time until i plan to debut this costume so i picked it up. does anyone have any experience with the rustoleum lens tint spray? im imagining it being relatively similar to the vht but just want to see if anyone knows something I dont before I spray it on these lenses and possibly have to make an entire new set

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back