Question on costume tags

DeathAngel

Hi guys, my question is if a costume comes with a costumers tag that lists scene numbers is that a good indicator that the costume was used?

It indicates what scenes they are for, but not necessarily that they were used in the final cut. However, having that tag definitely makes the piece more desirable. You can't honestly say something is screen used unless you can screen match it, which means you can identify marks or imperfections that definitively indicate that the piece you have is the one on screen. Or, if you received the costume from someone in the production with direct knowledge of wardrobe used in that scene and they claim it was; that's also good evidence for screen use.

It indicates what scenes they are for, but not necessarily that they were used in the final cut. However, having that tag definitely makes the piece more desirable. You can't honestly say something is screen used unless you can screen match it, which means you can identify marks or imperfections that definitively indicate that the piece you have is the one on screen. Or, if you received the costume from someone in the production with direct knowledge of wardrobe used in that scene and they claim it was; that's also good evidence for screen use.
Thank you for the response Tom! I appreciate it! I was always curious cause my chronicles of Riddick costume came with a tag that stated what scene numbers it was used for and I always wondered if all costumes on a production get tags, or if the ones meant to get used first do as opposed to the back-ups.

Tags and markings in costumes are fun and interesting. It adds something to the piece. A scene number, an actor or stunt persons name, character name, comments, version notes, all interesting. None of it guarantees it was used as marked or used in the final cut or used at all but cool little insights into production. I like finding them. I have some costumes from the movie Lawless. The ending scene where Forrest falls in the frozen pond and then crawls out. In the film it is only a long shot and dark. You don’t see any detail. The sweater I have has paint and detail on it to make it look sparkly like it is wet with ice crystals. The costumer’s tag is marked “ice ice baby”. I have another piece, a German WWII tunic from the film Fury. Still has some squib wiring in for the bullet hits. In the pocket with the costume tag marked with the stunt persons name (looked him up on IMDb). And with the tag was a European candy bar wrapper. Obviously he needed a snack while waiting to get shot, HaHa.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back