bradtdkrises

I have a Jason Voorhees cosplay/costume..I want to add blood to the machete, but I have a question. I'm using perma-blood on a real machete. I did duct tape it for safty reasons and then added paint to look like rust and grime..so, I'm thinking the blood should be smeared from "Jason" shoving it in and then pulling it out. I don't think blood would only be on the sharp end as if it were used for cutting and not stabbing. Most all props look that way. Am I right in my thinking that it would be more realistic to have the blood smeared down the blade from the handle to the pointed end? Just asking advice before I add permanent blood. Thanks!

This is my machete now...
machete.jpg

This is how most props look like..more of a splatter pattern on the sharp end of the blade. I don't really wanna do this.
machete.png

This is how most props look like..more of a splatter pattern on the sharp end of the blade. I don't really wanna do this.
View attachment 631835

That is spatter patterning on that blade. Not consistent with a blade that was used as a stabbing weapon. There is some contact smear on the sharp edge, but on the whole it looks more like a blade that was probably on the floor at the time someone was attacked with a different knife or blunt object nearby.

When someone is slashed with a blade, often you will barely see the blood on the sharp edge, if it is a sustained slashing attack it will be more heavily stained but you won't get that spray and drip marks on it. By drip, I mean spots that have dripped onto it from height as opposed to dripping off the blade.

For an in and out stab it will be all contact smear and if it's been carried around after the attack it will be running off.

This is about as close as I can find to a realistic one on the net
knife.jpg
In terms of recreating it, you could try saturating a thick sponge in the blood and pushing the blade through it or through a fold in it and then set it at the carrying angle to create the runs and drips that gravity will give it.

I assume you want the blood to stay on the blade and not be able to be wiped off?

If you get your self a small batch of clear epoxy resin and some blood red pigment (might need a hint of brown), you can mix it dark enough to look like blood, then wipe the blade with the mix, but only a really thin skin. Hand the blade by the handle letting the excess drip off the end. The epoxy wants to have a certain height meniscus (the shape of the bubble or resin) due to its surface tension. If the spread is too thin, it tends to clump together in small amounts (think the way T-1000 reforms after being melted in T2), giving a look similar to mattycsi's photo above. So you end up with patches of exposed metal in among the bubbles. Once cured, it won't come off easy either. It will probably adhere to and coat the blade edge and tip.

I did try to bloody up my machete...the oatmeal didnt work out for me..but i tried!
GEDV0313.JPG
As long as it doesn't look tooo fake, i'm ok with it I guess

I did try to bloody up my machete...the oatmeal didnt work out for me..but i tried!
View attachment 636119
As long as it doesn't look tooo fake, i'm ok with it I guess

The trick with the oatmeal is to soak it in the face blood she then dab it along the edge in areas. Once there and the blood dries, you seal it with the triple thick clear coat. That gives the shine but more than anything it holds the oatmeal like a glue.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back