Question on ASM suit - !_! zipper....is front placement possible?

superinframan2

Hello Everyone
I stumbled upon RPF and have been lurking for the past month and just joined. I've really enjoyed reading about all the different ASM prints and helpful and knowledgeable posts from Nickthefox, DamnGoodPaul, MCL34N, joelai009, Sonjou, and Redtogusa amongst many others.

I know that the zipper is in a !_! shaped pattern along the sides and in the back. Has anyone thought about modifying the print patterns so that the !_! zipper is along the sides and in the FRONT to facilitate bathroom breaks and putting on the costume without anyone's help? I'm sure that the various ASM prints are busy enough that you could hide the invisible zipper along the front.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this "front" zipper concept for other prints/characters. It may not work on all superheroes, but I think it could work on the characters that have a belt that could further conceal the zipper. Plus I figure if the real Peter Parker wanted to conceal his identity and wear the costume under his clothes, he'd have to be able to put it on by himself.

Just a NOOB question.........I was interested in the pros and cons of this methodology before I jumped in and started attempting an ASM costume.

Thanks in advance for considering this question.

i've seen this done with rami suits before, but i don't think it's the best option - aesthetics wise. side zippers that meet in the back (imagine 2 L's facing each other) seems the best way. As for bathroom trips, there isn't an easy way in this type of costume. I tend to refrain from eating / drinking while in the suit, unless prepared to remove the whole thing when nature calls.

Hi jrenemtz321.......thanks for the post.....

The 2 L's in the back would definitely be better than the zentai suits with the zipper straight up the back.

But what happens aesthetics wise that makes the 2 front L's look bad vs. the back? I figured that with the Raimi suits, using invisible zippers could be hidden since there's more of a belt in the front than the ASM costume.

Is it because the structure of the human body when you move and bend causes the suit to shift around weirdly or because the zipper is in the belly area as opposed to the back area? Would you happen to have pics of Raimi suits with the 2 L's zipper in the front?

If this doesn't work for Spider-Man, I was wondering if it would work with a character like the Barry Allen Flash, but on dye sublimated fabric like the ASM suits. The zipper could be hidden by the lightning bolt belt made out of foam or something similar.

I've seen the pics on other superhero forums, but a quick google search proved fruitless. Though the zippers are invisible a "line" will still be visible when they come together horizontally. Again, this probably could be done, but it won't look as smooth as other replicas.

I've seen the pics on other superhero forums, but a quick google search proved fruitless. Though the zippers are invisible a "line" will still be visible when they come together horizontally. Again, this probably could be done, but it won't look as smooth as other replicas.

how do the three zippers interlock to make an L i thought it was one zip that curved all the way around?

how do the three zippers interlock to make an L i thought it was one zip that curved all the way around?

There are usually two L shaped zippers that face each other and meet in the center of the costume's back. This is the commonly referred to as the U-shaped zipper, but it's actually two zippers (not just one).

There are usually two L shaped zippers that face each other and meet in the center of the costume's back. This is the commonly referred to as the U-shaped zipper, but it's actually two zippers (not just one).

are there any intructions with pictures at all my seamstress is really stuck on the zip and after all the instructions she can't picture the zipper :behave

What I did was put a hidden zipper about 4 inches long in the seam on your inner thigh close to the crotch area. Since the fabric is stretchy I had no problem going to the bathroom.

Ahhhhhh.........I see.......what you're saying is that it can be done, but a slightly visible line in the back is better than a slightly visible line in the front.......which my guess is probably MORE visible than in the back. Okay, i think I got it..........Thanks

I just finished "zipping" my suit in different way. Actually it was two I from waist to shoulder to neck opening. The problem with that I can't zip it up my self. I want to tie a string to it so I can pull, just like a wetsuit.

Can we zip by ourselves with 2 L shape zipper?

I am puzzled, with the picture, the back had seam in the middle, but put L shaped zipper. Why not joint the back into one piece print, or put one zipper in the middle, since it already separated anyway.

Other question: what's wrong with one U shape zipper? I was thinking about it for Raimi suit. If I'm not mistaken that L shape is not an invisible zipper?Because it had to be separated (like jacket front zipper)?

The inner thigh zipper is genius, might be a bit discomfort, as it scratches the inner thigh (I had one motorcycle jeans like this, with two zippers left and right). But it sure is more comfortable when the nature calls. (y)thumbsup

Thanks for sharing the info guys.

Sorry for the confusion. I call the U-shaped zipper L-shaped because they're actually two zippers running from armpit to hip and halfway across the back. They meet in the middle forming a U. I just thought it was easier to think of them as two L's instead of one U.

And yes, using these zippers, you would be able to get into the suit on your own.

Sorry for the confusion. I call the U-shaped zipper L-shaped because they're actually two zippers running from armpit to hip and halfway across the back. They meet in the middle forming a U. I just thought it was easier to think of them as two L's instead of one U.

And yes, using these zippers, you would be able to get into the suit on your own.

jrenemtz321, thank you the reply.
Actually, apologize to have all of my questions in one paragraph, so I need to break it down:
1. If 2 L shape zipper, does it mean we need to use "removable head' (I don't know what it called, thisis just like in the fron jacket zipper)
2. Can 2 L-shape zipper use invisible zippers?
3. Why not making it U-shape (using one long invincible zipper, to me it seem more cleaner that way).

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "removable head." Most spidey suits do not have zippers in the front of the costume for entry.

2. Yes, the L-zippers are usually invisible zippers.

3. I suppose one giant U-shaped zipper might be possible. I've never seen it before, but it may have been done. It would be difficult to zip that up solo, though.

Another problem with zippers, invisible or otherwise, is the nylon tape the teeth are attached to. The tape is firmly woven. It tends to create ripples under knit fabrics like spandex. That ripple will be less noticable in the back and sides of the garment.

Lynn, who has over 40 years experience in sewing

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "removable head." Most spidey suits do not have zippers in the front of the costume for entry.

2. Yes, the L-zippers are usually invisible zippers.

3. I suppose one giant U-shaped zipper might be possible. I've never seen it before, but it may have been done. It would be difficult to zip that up solo, though.

Thank you for the reply.I got lost of track with the thread :behave.

removable head = separating zippers, like this:
Z-047lg.jpg

My bad, now I don't see the reason why using this kind of zipper. :facepalm.

As for giant U, seems to me easier to do it solo? pull down the zipper from armpit, across the waist, then going up.
I don't like two zipper head dangling on the middle waist. Under armpit would be nice.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back