Question on 3D helmet plans on Etsy

SpaceCrawler

I've seen 3D printable downloads for sale of 1:1 scale Star Wars prototype helmets on Etsy- the few photos up look pretty good and the helmets aren't available elsewhere, hence why I'm considering it, for example, this. I don't own a 3D printer and am not very familiar with the process. Are there any companies who print plans you submit to them? I vaguely know about Shapeways but am uncertain of the quality or if their pricing would be prohibitive with something like this.

Any advice?

Sean

In addition to Shapeways, there are several others like 3Dhubs which can also outsource to various suppliers. Etsy is often a good resource as well - lots of smaller independent printers who do individual or small batch printing as a side source of income. You can also check if there are any makerspaces local to you. Makerspace owners/operators can often help steer you towards locals that may have large format print capabilities.

I've seen 3D printable downloads for sale of 1:1 scale Star Wars prototype helmets on Etsy- the few photos up look pretty good and the helmets aren't available elsewhere, hence why I'm considering it, for example, this. I don't own a 3D printer and am not very familiar with the process. Are there any companies who print plans you submit to them? I vaguely know about Shapeways but am uncertain of the quality or if their pricing would be prohibitive with something like this.

Any advice?

Sean

this may not be what you want to hear...

But I got into 3d printing because I ordered a few items from Shapeways and my friend got me a 3d printer. For the price of a purchaeed helmet or two, you can buy a 3d printer.

If you aint got time for that 3d printing nonsense, and dont mind spending the extra $$$ on finished product, ignore my recommendation.

Attachments

• 20210202_101504.jpg
    20210202_101504.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
Just some advice: Don't order 3D models where the person who designed it didn't also actually test print it. There is a lot that goes into a 3D print besides just the 3D model. The one you linked to at least looks like a customer was able to print it, but is isn't clear in the posting if the 3D model is pre-split up for printing, or if that customer did it themselves.

Shapeways I personally love, but they aren't the right place for FDM 3D printing. You will pay way too much for a large object like this.
As Supe mentioned, 3DHubs, and other FDM shops can print this for you, but be aware these shops often don't check the actual files, they just print and ship, if there are problems with the model they may not be able to fix them for you.

Just some advice: Don't order 3D models where the person who designed it didn't also actually test print it. There is a lot that goes into a 3D print besides just the 3D model. The one you linked to at least looks like a customer was able to print it, but is isn't clear in the posting if the 3D model is pre-split up for printing, or if that customer did it themselves.

Shapeways I personally love, but they aren't the right place for FDM 3D printing. You will pay way too much for a large object like this.
As Supe mentioned, 3DHubs, and other FDM shops can print this for you, but be aware these shops often don't check the actual files, they just print and ship, if there are problems with the model they may not be able to fix them for you.
EXACTLY!!

I ordered a "wearable" Magneto helmet that was not made for adults. Rather than spend your $$$ and get a wearable item that isnt, I prefer printing an item, and if it aint wearable, you can stop the print, make it bigger or stretch it in Blender and make something that works. You lost 1$ in filament.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back