Question for those who own MR's POTC compass

DARTH SABER

Master Member
I just ordered one and was wondering you guys (who already own one) thought of it?
Quality, etc. ?

(BTW, does it have the floaty effect seen in the films . For example when you're handling a compass the sphere rests in water and stays level )

DS

I received mine a few days ago and I think it's very nice overall, but the weathering could be better.

The dial rotates when you move the compass around, but it is not as free/loose as a regular compass.

Here's a picture of the hero prop from the new movie...

img03788gk.jpg

img03735lr.jpg

Use this as a comparison. ;)

Darrin

<div class='quotetop'>(Funky Jedi @ Jun 27 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]1269513[/snapback]</div>
Cool. Post some pics.
[/b]
I will be picking up my MR Sparrow Flintlock tomorrow, so I will wait and do pics of both.

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jun 27 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1269475[/snapback]</div>
I received mine a few days ago and I think it's very nice overall, but the weathering could be better.

The dial rotates when you move the compass around, but it is not as free/loose as a regular compass.
[/b]

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get it..BTW when you said the weathering could be better, did you mean it has some weathering or NO weathering at all?

If it has no weathering I might have to dirty it up a bit.

Also, for you other guys out there (probably been posted already) but MR is also offering a replica of the key to Davey Jones locker...It's only about 15 bucks. Not bad for little cheap prop.

DS

<div class='quotetop'>(Indiana_Tom @ Jun 28 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]1269833[/snapback]</div>
@Roboprop: Do you have more pics of original POTC props? Where did you take them?

Regards,

Tom
[/b]

I work for the Disney Art Department and got to see all the hero props up close and personal.

Speaking of Davey Jones's key, here's the hero prop...

img03790ft.jpg

I'll post more pics later Tom. I can't reveal all the new props until the movie comes out ;)

Darrin

Roboprop: Excellent pictures here and in the other thread (certain jobs do have their perks :thumbsup very cool)

Thanks for posting those pics Roboprop.

I got my MR Davy Jones key today, here's a pic -

potcprops3.jpg

I looked on the back of the Davy Jones key blister package and there was a pic of POTC prop I haven't seen MR mention yet....Davy Jones pipe.

BTW Roboprop, how did you weather your aztec coin?

DS

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 29 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1271069[/snapback]</div>
What are the dimensions of the original compass? I picked up a toy and was curious how close it really is...
[/b]

Well, I got the replica today and that measures 3" X 3" X 1.25"

Unfortunately I didn't take measurements of any of the props but I would say that the MR measurements are probably the most accurate.

Dark Saber...Your props look great. The MR coin I photographed in my other post is from the 2 coin set and both came with an antique wash but the necklace may just have the gold finish, I'm not certain though.

If you want to antique your coin, brush in a little dark brown liquid airbrush paint and hit it with a blow dryer for a bout 30 seconds. When the paint is almost dry, wipe off the top surfaces of the coin with a lint free cloth and that should give you a nicely aged coin. ;)

Darrin

<div class='quotetop'>(DARTH SABER @ Jun 30 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]1271093[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 29 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1271069[/snapback]
What are the dimensions of the original compass? I picked up a toy and was curious how close it really is...
[/b]

Well, I got the replica today and that measures 3" X 3" X 1.25"
[/b][/quote]

Thanks DS...

Hmpf.. Figures...

As is ALWAYS the case, close but no cigar. The toy is 4x4x1.5, but IMPRESSIVELY weathered for a toy...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back