Question for the Smooth On Guy.

Ray22

Sr Member
I was molding a pattern of a 1/72 X-wing concept fighter I made it is made from Pvc pipe and styrene it has a coat of Rustoleum primer on it and I'm am wondering if the primer is causing it not to cure. I'm using Mold Star 15 which I used to mold my 1/20th scale APC but now that I think of it was in a self etching auto primer and not the Rustoleum I used on that pattern. Some input on this would be greatly appreciated this has me perplexed as it never has happened while using Smooth On products.
Ray

I think his name is Beaker.

Thanks Rob, I callled Smooth On yesterday the primer I used was the culprit their silicone Mold Star 15 is awesome tough, stuff which I used to make my APC mold which came out great but had a different type primer on it. I may have to use that primer on a test piece but I know I cant use the Rustoleum with the Mold Star for sure.
Ray

Mold Star is a platinum silicone, sulfur will inhibit the cure. I don't know if the Rustoleum primer contains sulfur, but it might.

So you like the Mold Star? I've read some good reviews on it. I got some Smooth Sil for my phaser.

Mold Star is a platinum silicone, sulfur will inhibit the cure. I don't know if the Rustoleum primer contains sulfur, but it might.

So you like the Mold Star? I've read some good reviews on it. I got some Smooth Sil for my phaser.

Its durable easy to work with, no scales, no degassing an sets up in 4 hours did my APC mold with it, weighs about 20 pounds Lol.

Just tested the silicone with a new Acrylic paint called "Montana Gold" from Germany it's mostly for people that do Graffiti but served my purpose it did not affect the silicone at all came out great.
Ray

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back