Question for the ALIENS Pulse Rifle builders - New Question, post #10

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

After finally running out of model kits to build, I've decided to turn my attention back to some old prop builds, that needed some love.

So anyway, many moons ago, I was part of the RPF run of resin MiM Pulse Rifle kits. And back then, my model building skills were acceptable, not great, but acceptable. So I kind of slapped it together, as best as my skills would allow - mostly half-assed globs of 5 minute epoxy and mis-drilled holes.

Over time, the grenade launcher assembly began to sag, because there was nothing more than globs of glue to take up the slack between the shell of the housing and the SPAS cage (about 1/2" on either side). Eventually, it broke off all together, and it's been like that for the better part of a year, now.

So, I took the whole thing apart, started cleaning the glue off of pieces, making holes more round, fixing warpages and making parts fit better, in general. For instance, the original SPAS cage was just two halves, with nothing holding them together. So, I took a cue from styrene kits and made alignment pins and holes. Now she's solid as a rock.

Anyway, to the point of this whole thing - for those that have built a better engineered kit, either from real parts or even a Matsuo kit, what in the world is used to make a positive connection between the SPAS cage and the shell? Are there pins, or bolts, or straps, or something else? I made styrene spacer blocks to make it a really snug fit, but at the end of the day, it's still going to be glue that's holding it together (though not nearly as much, as last time).

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

Last edited:
Re: Question for the ALIENS Pulse Rifle builders

Hey guys,

After finally running out of model kits to build, I've decided to turn my attention back to some old prop builds, that needed some love.

So anyway, many moons ago, I was part of the RPF run of resin MiM Pulse Rifle kits. And back then, my model building skills were acceptable, not great, but acceptable. So I kind of slapped it together, as best as my skills would allow - mostly half-assed globs of 5 minute epoxy and mis-drilled holes.

Over time, the grenade launcher assembly began to sag, because there was nothing more than globs of glue to take up the slack between the shell of the housing and the SPAS cage (about 1/2" on either side). Eventually, it broke off all together, and it's been like that for the better part of a year, now.

So, I took the whole thing apart, started cleaning the glue off of pieces, making holes more round, fixing warpages and making parts fit better, in general. For instance, the original SPAS cage was just two halves, with nothing holding them together. So, I took a cue from styrene kits and made alignment pins and holes. Now she's solid as a rock.

Anyway, to the point of this whole thing - for those that have built a better engineered kit, either from real parts or even a Matsuo kit, what in the world is used to make a positive connection between the SPAS cage and the shell? Are there pins, or bolts, or straps, or something else? I made styrene spacer blocks to make it a really snug fit, but at the end of the day, it's still going to be glue that's holding it together (though not nearly as much, as last time).

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred
Its a mixture of things .leading from the front block locking onto the barrel , top part of the spas cage would bolt in with a thompson block that mounted the cage to the thompson ,and you could tap and drill bolts to mount on the back end of shotgun and cage where the Shroud covers would hide that as well ,very complexed but it can be done with simple tools and a drill and tap....

On my PR I used a Cybergun airsoft Thompson. I replaced the barrel on mine with one from SDStudios. When you remove the barrel it left a spot on the underside of the reciever that had two holes where the barrel was screwed on. I made an aluminum mount that bolted into these holes. It extended out under the new barrel above the SPAS cage, about half way toward the front. I then drilled two pairs of holes and coresponding holes in the top of the cage. I then bolted this plate to the cage. The shroud kept the back of the cage clamped in place as well.

This is similiar to the machined mounting block that was/is available. I just made mine from strips of aluminum bar stock.

In this picture you can see the two bolts that hold the cage just under the forward part of the shroud. In the second pic you can just see the front edge of the aluminum mount.

I just wish I had taken mor pics of here before I sold her.

On my PR I used a Cybergun airsoft Thompson. I replaced the barrel on mine with one from SDStudios. When you remove the barrel it left a spot on the underside of the reciever that had two holes where the barrel was screwed on. I made an aluminum mount that bolted into these holes. It extended out under the new barrel above the SPAS cage, about half way toward the front. I then drilled two pairs of holes and coresponding holes in the top of the cage. I then bolted this plate to the cage. The shroud kept the back of the cage clamped in place as well.

This is similiar to the machined mounting block that was/is available. I just made mine from strips of aluminum bar stock.

In this picture you can see the two bolts that hold the cage just under the forward part of the shroud. In the second pic you can just see the front edge of the aluminum mount.

I just wish I had taken mor pics of here before I sold her.
I hate you sold her Bro........

That's a great idea, Robiwon - unfortunately, the MiM kit cut so many corners, the internals are a jumble.

The resin barrel is barely attached to the thompson. The shotgun barrel only extends a short way into the SPAS cage. I was considering replacing the resin shotgun barrel, with a piece of PVC, but the block for the shell ejection port, sticks out more than half way, into the cage. At the time I built her, I didn't have the tools or forsight to cut the block down. And now that I have ways of cutting it down, removing the block would destroy the cage.

But on an upside ( :confused), I discovered the shroud has far more warpage than I originally thought. I mean, I Knew there was some, but after seeing Robiwon's photo, I realized there was much more. So I took the first step - I got the shroud halves to lay flat (they used to bow outward). Now, I need to get the lower half to bow inward, so that the bottoms meet. Need to pick up a bunch of zip ties to hold the multiple parts together while I heat it up.

Then it's my least favorite part of any buld - the prime, fill, sand, repeat dance :unsure.

-Fred

If I were you I would consider rebuilding the gun. Keep the shrouds if you can get the warp out. Contact Matsu he may have some HGC GL left over. It shouldn't be too hard to find all the metal bits you need either. I believe there is a sale in the JY for them.

Yeah I miss that hunk of resin and metal. It had the ReplicantFX soundboard which is now long out of production and was just awesome.:cry But it lives on in my avatar!

Hmm I need to think about this, there are a lot of ways you can go.

On my guns the metal barrel ties the thompson to the barrel vent and the barrel vent holds on to the Launcher and adds a lot of stability.

M

Hmm I need to think about this, there are a lot of ways you can go.

On my guns the metal barrel ties the thompson to the barrel vent and the barrel vent holds on to the Launcher and adds a lot of stability.

M
The man has spoken.....:cool:cool:cool

Hey Guys,

So, I'm slowly making progress on re-shaping the shrouds, fixing old faux pas and whatnot, and I started thinking of adding an upgrade.

I'm considering adding a 2-digit 7 segment display, for a static counter. I found this display on Amazon Amazon.com: microtivity 7-segment LED Display, 2 Digit Red Static Common Cathode (Pack of 2): Electronics. What else would I need to make this work? I'd probably wire in a slide switch, behind the trigger, but the biggest concern is power and access (i.e. replacing the battery).

In my PR, the magazine is solid resin, so I may be able to rout out a well and channel for a battery and wiring, but how do I wire up the display? Do I need a segment of breadboard or something else? Will a 9volt battery be enough to power the unit? How about resitors? Do they make contact connections, so I don't need 2 feet of wire, jumbled up in the PR?

Sorry for all the questions, but my handy-work is more in physical contruction, than electronics.

-Fred

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back