Question for make up experts

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey folks!

I've started on a Joker costume this Halloween and I'm pretty good on the attire but I know very little for make up. I would really like to do something similar to "Harley's Joker"

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Im sure it will take patience and a lot of time. I'm looking for information as far as products/application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like the base white and eyes are airbrushed.

For the white, I'd use an alcohol activated pigment. They have many advantages over oil and water based makeup... Mostly that they don't need to be powdered, don't run off or break down, and will let your skin breath.

For the eyes, you don't want alcohol on that sensitive skin, and removal would be a real pain. I'd suggest airbrushing a water based makeup like Wolfe, and powdering it with a translucent setting powder. It won't hold up as long as the AA makeup but it's a sacrifice you have to make if you like your eyes.

The lipstick is probably just lipstick, but you could hand apply some AA makeup by hand if you really wanted it to stay put.

For the white, I'd use an alcohol activated pigment. They have many advantages over oil and water based makeup... Mostly that they don't need to be powdered, don't run off or break down, and will let your skin breath.

For the eyes, you don't want alcohol on that sensitive skin, and removal would be a real pain. I'd suggest airbrushing a water based makeup like Wolfe, and powdering it with a translucent setting powder. It won't hold up as long as the AA makeup but it's a sacrifice you have to make if you like your eyes.

The lipstick is probably just lipstick, but you could hand apply some AA makeup by hand if you really wanted it to stay put.

Thank you so much! It looks like he has done some shading or something to sharpen his features. I found this
image.jpg

Can I ask you what the advantages of AA paints over something like PAX? I'm looking into doing something similar but I've never used AA stuff myself.

Can I ask you what the advantages of AA paints over something like PAX? I'm looking into doing something similar but I've never used AA stuff myself.

AA makeup has an easier clean up, doesn't need to be powdered, breathes, and just feels like there isn't anything on your skin.

In PAX you feel that layer of paint... You feel the stickiness of it. There are also health concerns stemming from the acrylic paint people use. The cheaper stuff isn't always skin safe and people can have reactions to it. I have not to this day ever seen or heard of someone having an allergic reaction to AA makeup.
And clean up... Well, removal of PAX is the worst, most tedious process I've ever sat through.

I've applied both to people, and refuse to subject people's bare skin to PAX. Dick Smith designed it for use on foam latex appliances and I personally believe that should be its only purpose.

I've started doing some research now that I have a direction, thanks Mr Mold Maker! Does anyone know how he creates those lines in his face? I dont know what kind of product to use over the AA that would stick or stay

Sorry bud, didn't see your reply.

You can use anything for the shading he has. You can use more AA colors, you can use grease makeups, you can even get store bought eyeshadow and do it. Just make sure if it isn't AA that you powder it.

The photo you posted above almost looks like the white base was sponged on, as its a lot more splotchy and uneven then the one in your original post. I wonder if it is perhaps an older photo? His newer stuff definitely looks airbrushed.

Sorry bud, didn't see your reply.

You can use anything for the shading he has. You can use more AA colors, you can use grease makeups, you can even get store bought eyeshadow and do it. Just make sure if it isn't AA that you powder it.

The photo you posted above almost looks like the white base was sponged on, as its a lot more splotchy and uneven then the one in your original post. I wonder if it is perhaps an older photo? His newer stuff definitely looks airbrushed.

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate all the help!

Would the AA stay on hands or would it rub off? I'm trying to decide on wearing gloves with my costume or not

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back