Question about weathering and fiber optics...

senormodeler

Hey all,
I've been a long time lurker on this site, but now I have a question for the experts here. I'm building a Fine Molds Millennium Falcon and I'm lighting it. I installed the fiber optics and left then long on the outside of the hull -- about an inch. My plan is to close up the model, finish the final bits of construction and then prime, paint and weather it.

My question is about when to trim the fiber optics... before or after I apply my weathering. I'll be using oil paints, turpenoid, and pigments. I thought I might be able to trim them before the weathering and apply a small bit of Humbrol Masking Liquid to the FO, but I think the turpenoid might dissolve it. If I trim afterward, then they are kind of in the way while I'm doing the weathering -- which isn't a huge problem, but I"m just wondering what other people have done in this situation.

Thanks.
J

Just my opinion, trimming the fiber optics would be the last thing that I would do, after all the painting and weathering is completed. Mind you, adding a dab of Tamiya clear red/yellow/blue/etc to the fiber optic trimmed ends would be the very last thing.

Thanks, Scratchy. So after trimming the FO, do you then bring some heat close to it to get the mushroom/lens effect?

No. Not while the fiber optic is threaded into the model, you will risk damaging the model. You will want to create the lens prior to threading it into the model. I didn't mention it earlier, but you can coat the lens with some liquid masking film, then peel it off after the painting is done.

So if I want a lens effect the process is:

-heat the end
-thread it through and pull the end of the FO flush with the hull
-glue in place
-apply humbro liquid mask
-prime, paint, weather (turpenoid won't take the mask off?)
-remove the liquid mask

does that sound right?

Yes, you may want to apply two coats of the mask.

I used the same technique for the fiber optic looking up the entry ramp, the light that is in the hallway corridor. In this case, after the hallway was painted, I applied some Tamiya Clear Green onto the lens.

lights2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back