Question about TOS Tricorder materials.

CB2001

Master Member
Maybe a few of the Trek fans or those who have built replica TOS tricorders can help out in answering this question. I've toyed around with the idea of scratchbuilding a TOS Tricorder to give to my dad (who is a ST fan and has been collecting books and comics involving the original ST characters recently). Now, though I'm only considering it (and I already have some the research material, namely the ST Tech Manual reprint which gives me a starting point for constructing such an item), I've been trying to do some research on materials to use for the Tricorder. Yes, I know I could buy a Diamond Select Tricorder or even a Playmates Tricorder toy and convert it, but I really want to get into the act of building things (as most of my props have been found items). Though I've got a few other things on my list (such as the BSG FN-57's launcher as an example), I figured I'd ask this question, as I know that Orlando has more resources for materials (and since I'm moving in the final week of this month, I may pick up some material before I move).

What I'm wondering is that for the black "shell" of the Tricorder, what material was used? Was it just normal black spraypaint? Faux leather? According to the ST Tech Manual, the strap that is used for the Tricorder is made of naugahyde vinyl. But I don't know if that's what the production used on the original series for the shell when they made it. Anyone happen to know?

I believe the majority of the tricorders were constructed from a black material called kydex with a textured surface.

I know some of the straps were actual leather - I don't know if they all were.

Vacuformed Kydex shells over an aluminum and wood frame, with aluminum door handles, and a leather strap. The original Kydex grained pattern isn't made anymore, but you can get something reasonably close.

Thanks for the info, deck5. I may have to check Colonial Hobby and Photo (as I know they sell plastic sheets for hobbies), unless I'm not understanding where to find it correctly.

I'd be surprised if you found it at a hobby shop. Kydex is used to make knife sheaths, gun holsters, and aircraft interiors, among other things. You might better look for a plastics supplier instead. You may be obliged to buy a 4'x8' sheet, unless they have any cutoffs.

I'd be surprised if you found it at a hobby shop. Kydex is used to make knife sheaths, gun holsters, and aircraft interiors, among other things. You might better look for a plastics supplier instead. You may be obliged to buy a 4'x8' sheet, unless they have any cutoffs.

Thanks. Worse case scenario, if I can't find a plastic supplier that sells it, I'll just us normal styrene plastic (which I got a lot of) and cheat the texture somehow.

You can read some info on Kydex here Herocomm.com/PartsAndPlans/Shells The communicators and tricorders were both made by Wah Chang, and used the same materials.

A simpler method would be to use vacformed black styrene, and wrinkle paint to simulate the texture. You can even do it without the vacform. The back panel is just a piece of sheet cut to size, the rest can be made by cutting the shapes and gluing them together like a box, then sand to round over the edges. Then spray with wrinkle paint. Use black styrene, so if the paint wears on the edges it won't show.

Good luck, and post some pics of the build :thumbsup

Depending on how you want to go, you have a number of options. TK560 has a pretty nifty tricorder made from wood: www.TK560.com: BLASTERS and the templates are here: TOS Tricorder Templates
You could either paint it with that old-style wrinkle paint (not accurate, I know, but sort of appropriate for 1960's technology), or cover it in vinyl for the Leatherette finish.

Star Trek Prop Authority has some interesting pics and info:
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Star Trek At The Smithsonian - Original Series 1st Season Tricorder
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Design Features of Screen Used TOS Tricorders
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Special PhotoStudy: Star Trek The Original Series Leatherette Tricorder
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Rare Photos of the Greg Jein TOS Hero Tricorder
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: TOS Tricorder Measurements Study
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: 6 Myths About Star Trek Prop Designs Over The Years

And of course, there's the papercraft version:
TOS Tricorder - Zealot Hobby Forum :D

Being a glutton for punishment, I still wanna do the wood version and the papercraft version. PLUS doing it "properly" (vacuum formed). Right now I've got the Art Asylum version (a little large, but still really nice for the price), and, tragically, I also have the Playmates version. :unsure Way, way, way too small. I'd almost prefer to have the old Mego tricorder/recorder.

Thanks for the info guys. Wasn't expecting such a boom of info. :D

So far, I've been considering making the Tricorder out of styrene and wood. The information about Kydex and alternate materials may prove really useful. :)

Two Kydex Tricorders all of the rest were fiberglass castings of one of those two. One of them was covered in vinyl (I think fiberglass underneath) so you have a lot of options. :lol

Just to give an update about this project. I originally was going to do this project as a birthday or a Christmas gift. But I wanted to make sure that the Tricorder was something my dad wanted, or at least make sure that if it was something like the communicator, it'd be something I could get the parts for and start building (so I just asked the question during a lunch, not giving him any clue that I had been planning on doing something for him). Well, my dad knows about the Diamond Select items, and he explained to me, that if he wanted something, he'd want the original props that the actors had touched (which I understand). But he told me that if I had to make a replica of anything from Star Trek, especially since he knows of my interests in props, replicas and even the RPF, that I should make something that hasn't been done commercially (like the Diamond Select Tricorder and Communicator).

So, I've decided that its probably best to not proceed with this item at the current time, even with the research I've done on it. Thank you to all who participated with providing me information.

Screen-used props go up on ebay sometimes. You may want to buy on of them for him. But honestly, I think you're worrying about this too much. Your dad sounds like he will accept any gift that's given to him by his thoughtful son.

Screen-used props go up on ebay sometimes. You may want to buy on of them for him. But honestly, I think you're worrying about this too much. Your dad sounds like he will accept any gift that's given to him by his thoughtful son.

Thanks for encouragement, StarTrek101. :)

You could always build an OS communicator or OS Type I Phaser both with working mechanisms. There is a couple of builds around that show a lot of the work.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back