Question about the superman returns suit

MattMunson

Master Member
You know all the little blue diamonds all over the blue part of the fabric? Are those raised, textured shapes, or are they just flat silkscreen printing?

Now that the costumes are out there for the public to see, I'm hoping that a member here who has seen it firs hand can answer that. Not looking for wild speculation based on pictures, as they seem to tell a different story each time.

I'm going to check out the suit in Times Sqaure next week. Cptnchaos666 saw the suit in L.A. I have one of the swatches. The diamonds are slightly raised due to screenprinting. They are all over the costume, including the cuffs and collar.

I'd go along with that... I saw the suit in Times Square. The diamonds are apparently printed, and catch the light, but don't have much depth.

Note also the diamonds on the red parts of the costume. They are of varying sizes.

kt_shield03_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_belt01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

- k

I think the red parts either have the diamonds printed closer, or most likely, the fabric isn't stretched as much. I don't have a swatch of the briefs to be 100% sure, but their scale looks more like the swatch of unstretched blue.

Here are three samples from the straght-on closeup of the belt and abdomen... I believe these are at constant scale. I'd say the red diamonds are definitely smaller and closer together.

costumetextures.jpg

abdomen, briefs, belt buckle details

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 15 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]1262325[/snapback]</div>
Here are three samples from the straght-on closeup of the belt and abdomen... I believe these are at constant scale. I'd say the red diamonds are definitely smaller and closer together.

costumetextures.jpg

abdomen, briefs, belt buckle details
[/b]

those are stretched over the body, though. the swatch of blue on the cards is 1/4" squares with about 1/16" spacing. do the briefs in real life look to be the same process as the suit?

Well I'll let somebody else who has seen it in person weigh in... but no it does not seem to me that the diamonds on the blue suit could be the same size as the diamonds on the red briefs, only stretched out bigger.

My feeling is that there must be different sizes of diamonds on the different parts.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 15 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]1262467[/snapback]</div>
Well I'll let somebody else who has seen it in person weigh in... but no it does not seem to me that the diamonds on the blue suit could be the same size as the diamonds on the red briefs, only stretched out bigger.

My feeling is that there must be different sizes of diamonds on the different parts.

- k
[/b]

I would be inclined to agree, if I didn't have a Topps card in front of me giving conflicting info. Also note the size diference in the diamonds on the abdomen with those on the thigh around the bottom of the briefs.

Brin, read the prequel comics...Ma Kent only had to cut the blanket around the shield to make his costume. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(brin @ Jun 16 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]1262515[/snapback]</div>
Obviously Ma Kent is one HELL of a costume maker. :lol
-Brin
[/b]

Stop stealing my lines you HACK...

;)

D

<div class='quotetop'>(hansicle @ Jun 18 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]1263429[/snapback]</div>
The red looks like an inversion of the blue, like a negative image..... if that makes sense.
[/b]

yeah, lighter ink printed on darker fabric.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back