Question about stunt weapons props

soumakis

I have a seller who has a stunt rubber weapon prop that I have interest in buying. He says it was used by the actor to practice getting use to holding the real weapon and for any aggressive scenes where the actor might get injured. My question is, how can one tell if this was actually used by the actor or instead used by the stunt person? Do these usually have some indication written or etched somewhere that one is made for the actor to use vs. the stunt double? Thanks!

I have a seller who has a stunt rubber weapon prop that I have interest in buying. He says it was used by the actor to practice getting use to holding the real weapon and for any aggressive scenes where the actor might get injured. My question is, how can one tell if this was actually used by the actor or instead used by the stunt person? Do these usually have some indication written or etched somewhere that one is made for the actor to use vs. the stunt double? Thanks!

Simply put, unless you can screen match it, you can't tell. You are, unfortunately going to have to take someone's word (who has a financial interest in you believing them) for it, which is how a ton of production made, out of the original mold copies or straight-up fakes get introduced into the market. Be very very careful when it comes to these types of things.

This is why I am very reluctant to buy a stunt prop weapon unless it is so unique that it HAD to at least be from the film and even then, I would NEVER believe, as an unequivocal fact that "actor x" used it. If there is no proof of who used it, the price should reflect that lack of proof.

Another factor to consider.

Prop rubber stunts often are made with urethane foam.

Which can start to rot away over the years.

So it life may be limited. Unlike solid props.

Rich

Hi bud

i was a stunt for 7 years and can tell you that rarely you train with rubber. Usually you train with wood, look up any pre production videos (troy or spartacus which i worked on or even 300) always wood. The rubber pieces are used for production, but you will have a hard time authenticating if not by screen matching, even then it is never a certainty. i worked on a few productions after gladiator which were supplied by simon atherton, they were identical pieces to Weapons used in Gladiator, which is why i wouldn't buy them. i have seen a few pieces on propstore which have left me with a hmmmm, seeing as the weapons are mean't to be 13 year old screen used rubber swords. i have a good few pieces myself and can tell you that the paint fades off the rubber very very quickly.

skyball, you don't happen to have any personal photos from your time on Troy do you? I am a big fanof the film and have a few originals pieces from the movie. You are definitely right about paint not liking to stay on rubber weapons. My swords from Troy and 300 show a lot of paint loss.

Last edited:
Hey art

somewhere i should have a few snaps, they weren't mine but were sent to me by some of the other boys from malta, i will look but is has been a few years, aside from a lack of places to put the phone on the costume, it was over ten years ago and i was equppied with one of those nokia bricks. Ahh the good ol days. I managed to keep my myrmidon helmet, but only because the crest broke off it. And yes, paint loss is a major one, i have a few gladiator swords that are now black rubber, paint is gone gone gone!

skyball, that is really cool. I have a Myrmidon helmet from the movie (as well as a full Eudorus costume) and absolutely love them!

Last edited:
image.jpgWas later re-used in another production, they covered it in leather and added a horse crest to replace the fin. I atill love it

Wow! That is a really cool bit of rework on the helmet! Certainly makes the details stand out more than when it was just a Myrmidon!

Thanks, gents, Troy is one of my favorites as well and Art, if those are your pics in the RPF reference section, they are appreciated. If anyone else has Achilles pics from the film, especially close ups of costume details...love to see them posted.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Very good information here. Is urethan foam the same as dense rubber? What would be the best way to store it and prevent it from deterioting, or will it just break down naturally? Also a few of you discussed paint coming off the prop rubber, does it just fade away or does it end up leaking off the rubber? All in all, the item I would like to purchase is around $4,000 but I'm not sure if the long term risks some of you have assessed will make this a worthwhile collectible to own? I don't know if I would be comfortable watching it disintergrate over the years.

I have handled (and owned) many hard used rubber props from 80's action films not to mention rubber props from as far back as the 60's and earlier. There are so many factors that come into play on these items that there is no general basic answer to an items longevity. For instance I have a cache of rubber items used in the Pacific. The ones that had seen excessive use in water are easily identified by their weight alone as water has an ill effect on the inner foam used with many rubber props. It will make them so heavy its not uncommon for them to double the weight even when the water has dried out and left. This also brings up the various brands and such of rubber/foam, which again there is no one stop answer to.

Paint will come off rubber for various reasons ranging from its intended use, improper paint prep/application, human handling as bare skin has oils that transfer to the item, excessive UV/sunlight exposure (people dont consider this when displaying an item or its location to indirect light)...

Its going to come back to the items unique condition and history. If your this concerned with it, maybe its not an item for your collection.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back