Question about selling repro props and such

PrimoOptimoso

Sr Member
You guys that make runs of props and helmets and all that:

Forgive me for asking, but how do you avoid, say, Lucasfilm chewing at your hides over a Trooper Bucket run for sale? etc.

I'd love to get good enough that people want to buy my stuff, but that kind of thing would make me leery of trying.

You cross your fingers, keep a low profile and don't snub your nose at the powers... And then pray that they turn the blind eye or tolerate your activity because they feel like being nice...

Interesting question.
I think if your volume is quite low and the stuff is not for the mainstream, because it is too special or too difficult for mass production - The companies would not bother.

History has shown otherwise, it's truly a flip of the coin with no rhyme or reason most of the time...

There have been people in this community that have received C&D letters for the mere suggestion of an offering before a single item was sold, while others have went into full scale production of 100s if not 1000s of unit with a total blind eye turned by the studio... You honestly just never know...

I'm going to start producing 1:1 replicas of Robby the robot, already got 50 people on my list. Robby is such a old movie props so no one would wanna take the hassle stop me... Well...off to the molding again.

Thanks for the insight.

Heh, my best friend is a maker of all sorts of things, and once got permission from the people who wrote the programs to release two new, previously unreleased games for the atari 2600 (in 2003 or so, no less) - he put the code on the chips, MADE the cartridges, boxes, the whole nine, and sold them for PS3-game prices to a quite willing collector community; the lines at the conventions were LONG, brother - one time our booth ran out of things to sell, and just for kicks we put a freaking *dime* in a vending-machine bubble, and sold that for a quarter. Jeez, good times.

Then one day a friend of ours, of the legal persuasion, rings him up... "Hey man; uh, i'm sitting in Atari's boardroom and your name came up. Might wanna just go ahead and shut that little endeavor down now, kthxbye." A C&D PHONE CALL.

So yeah, I understand the scope of the radar.

=0)

:lol Oh boy! :lol

I'm going to start producing 1:1 replicas of Robby the robot, already got 50 people on my list. Robby is such a old movie props so no one would wanna take the hassle stop me... Well...off to the molding again.

:lol Oh boy! :lol

WHAT?.....

Btw...I been starting to see a guy sneaking outside my windows....He looks a lot like this :
Comic_Book_Guy.png

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back