Question about Nostromo shoes

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to start a Nostromo crew costume from The ground up and am starting with a pair of PF Flyers. My question is, must they be canvas, or is leather acceptable. I ask because the pair i can find with the most pronounced "toe ridges" in my size is white leather. Second, do you find they run small at all or are they true to size?

Many thanks for any help, I have really been enjoying the forum, I only recently found it when i decided to work on costumes on account of the pandemic confinement.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

joberg

Master Member
PF Flyers are true to size...and they should be canvas. That being said, I don't see why a leather pair couldn't cut it ;) If you make the necessary transformations, I'm sure they'll look good. (y)

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
These guys... i figured under a coat of paint the looks of leather and canvas really start to converge. I can get canvas but the ridging on front seems "less" to me and I feel like it's really critical to the space boot look.

Attachments

• Pf flyers leather.jpg
    Pf flyers leather.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 47

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It occurs to me that if I dirty up the crevices it will accentuate the texture. Probably authentic looking, too. I don't think anybody had swabbed the lower decks those last couple of years. I'll get some canvas ones.
Maybe I'll do both.... leather would be good for cold and damp weather.

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not yet... waiting on the big uniform shirt project and return of conventions to renew my enthusiasm. Still definitely going to do it, just working on SHIELD stuff right now.

ID10T

Sr Member
I’m planning a pair as well, and I was wondering if anyone had good luck with colors other than white.

I’m having trouble finding my size in while (11.5 US Men’s) but red ones I do find, and those have the same color bands on the sole edges (red and blue) as the white ones.

I was thinking a bleach bath and then using B-I-N primer under white paint would do it but maybe not… I also have access to nitric acid which I could use instead of bleach.

Looking to benefit front the experience of others.

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You might manage if you treat it like painting a wall and do gray first then white...worth a shot if you have cheap enough shoes to try it...

ID10T

Sr Member
That’s what I was thinking. That primer is pretty tenacious and would probably penetrate the fibers well. I guess I have to try it, unless white ones pop up.

ID10T

Sr Member
Maybe not (always have to test) but the stuff sticks to glass and it is designed to cover stains (and bold colors) when redecorating.

It's about $50 a gallon but I need some for a bathroom anyway...

septic

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m planning a pair as well, and I was wondering if anyone had good luck with colors other than white.

I’m having trouble finding my size in while (11.5 US Men’s) but red ones I do find, and those have the same color bands on the sole edges (red and blue) as the white ones.
I'm also US11.5 - 12, so sizing is always a hassle for shoes [finding Bug Stompers in my size sucked too].

I ended up going with PF Flyers Center Hi in a Natural colour, and then using TRG Eazydye Shoe Color in white (it's for colour changing leather shoes, but that's what was recommended for my canvas Flyers by a local craft store here). They've turned out pretty well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.