Question about Marty's 1955 binoculars in BTTF 2

Roland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
On eBay BTTF propmaster Dangerous Bob is selling Marty McFly's original screen used binoculars that were used by Michael J. Fox in BTTF 2. Too expensive for me, so I'm searching for identical binoculars for my replica collection. Does anyone have an idea what kind of binoculars these are (brand, type)?

Here's the picture from Dangerous Bob's eBay listing (back of the binoculars):

martys_screenused_binoculars1.jpg

And a screenshot from the movie (front of the binoculars):

martys_screenused_binoculars2.jpg

It looks similar to my Vega binoculars, which I received from my ex-father-in-law almost 20 years ago.

Attachments

• 20200323_112901.jpg
    20200323_112901.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 421
It looks similar to my Vega binoculars, which I received from my ex-father-in-law almost 20 years ago.

Yes, this type of binoculars looks very similar at most of the brands. That's what it makes so difficult to find the exact one from the movie.

They’re probably a random pair that is now rare. Lol

They are rare. The brand is 'Rugged Exposure', but that particular model is hard to find.

Bob had posted a photo of the prop binoculars. The brand name was blacked out for the movie but was still legible.
I can't find that photo now, (probably taken down) but I did remember the name. I have a pair that is similar but not exact.

They are rare. The brand is 'Rugged Exposure', but that particular model is hard to find.

Bob had posted a photo of the prop binoculars. The brand name was blacked out for the movie but was still legible.
I can't find that photo now, (probably taken down) but I did remember the name. I have a pair that is similar but not exact.

That's a great help and narrows my search a lot. Thank you, Daniel! :)

I'd caution that I think Bob is nuts. Even though he was the prop guy, the binoculars he has up for sale don't seem to match what's on screen to me - and I know he's digging through boxes in his garage finding stuff and trying to identify it. His picture is from the back so obviously a picture from the other end would be better - but there are more publicity photos that show a different angle of the screen used binoculars, that clearly show the ones Bob is selling are different. Note the eye grommets in this pic. They are smooth and really thin - not thick rubbery grooved covers like in Bobs pic.

original.jpg

They have white writing on top for starters.

I'd caution that I think Bob is nuts. Even though he was the prop guy, the binoculars he has up for sale don't seem to match what's on screen to me - and I know he's digging through boxes in his garage finding stuff and trying to identify it. His picture is from the back so obviously a picture from the other end would be better - but there are more publicity photos that show a different angle of the screen used binoculars, that clearly show the ones Bob is selling are different. Note the eye grommets in this pic. They are smooth and really thin - not thick rubbery grooved covers like in Bobs pic.

View attachment 1306781

They have white writing on top for starters.

Wow, thanks for the picture. Didn't know that. On Google I was able to find it in a higher resolution. You can read on Marty's binoculars, they are actually Bushnells as Brad has said from the beginning.

martys_screenused_binoculars3.jpg

Found the correct binoculars someone selling in Las Vegas. Is anyone here from the US willing to help me purchasing them? I will pay all your costs of course. And send you one of my Oh LàLà magazines for free.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back