Question about "liquid laxtex"

JoeSomebody369

Ok so im currently going to attempt a predator mask. Today i picked up a styrofoam head, sculpting clay, and clay tools. Now my question is what the hell is the liquid latex? I was at michael's and they told me they had no liquid latex and to go to home depot. So i ventured to home depot and the "latex" i found was a water based latex but the guy said it wouldn't do what i was trying to do. So he pointed me to the hardware section to look at this plastic dip liquid which he said would give you the rubber material you see on handles of wire cutters and tools like that.

So before i even bought anything I just got back home and wanted to ask you guys what am i exactly looking for and could anyone give me brand name(s) of this "liquid latex" that i'm looking for so when i go back out I know exactly what i'm looking to buy and what possible stores I could go to to buy it.

Ok so im currently going to attempt a predator mask. Today i picked up a styrofoam head, sculpting clay, and clay tools. Now my question is what the hell is the liquid latex? I was at michael's and they told me they had no liquid latex and to go to home depot. So i ventured to home depot and the "latex" i found was a water based latex but the guy said it wouldn't do what i was trying to do. So he pointed me to the hardware section to look at this plastic dip liquid which he said would give you the rubber material you see on handles of wire cutters and tools like that.

So before i even bought anything I just got back home and wanted to ask you guys what am i exactly looking for and could anyone give me brand name(s) of this "liquid latex" that i'm looking for so when i go back out I know exactly what i'm looking to buy and what possible stores I could go to to buy it.

Check out the following site.
Monster Makers

I also believe there is a member here who sells liquid latex. I want to say it's monstermaker but I'm not positive. Hope this helps.

Check out the following site.
Monster Makers

I also believe there is a member here who sells liquid latex. I want to say it's monstermaker but I'm not positive. Hope this helps.

would this be a product i could use too?
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=gc0514

its from michael's and i'm new to all of this so I still have alot to learn, is the liquid latex from the monstermaker its rd-407 or something right? is that the only brand you can use for mask making? or is that mold builder from michaels also worth using?

would this be a product i could use too?
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=gc0514

its from michael's and I'm new to all of this so I still have alto to learn, is the liquid latex from the monstermaker its rd-407 or something right? is that the only brand you can use for mask making? or is that mold builder from michaels also worth using?

That appears to be a latex designed for making molds that you would cast resin or liquid plastic in. I doubt it would have the properties you want for a mask. I would go with the latex offered by monster makers or another company/individual. Research is key so you don't spend money only to find that you bought the wrong stuff. I have only been on here for a few months but I have literally read hundreds of posts by people who have great amounts of knowledge that they give freely. Spend plenty of time in this section and most of your questions will be answered.

That appears to be a latex designed for making molds that you would cast resin or liquid plastic in. I doubt it would have the properties you want for a mask. I would go with the latex offered by monster makers or another company/individual. Research is key so you don't spend money only to find that you bought the wrong stuff. I have only been on here for a few months but I have literally read hundreds of posts by people who have great amounts of knowledge that they give freely. Spend plenty of time in this section and most of your questions will be answered.

Yeah looks like im going to buy the latex from monstermakers just have to wait for the damn debit card to come in the mail from the bank grrrr >=[

Monstermakers is as pro as you get. Many of the Hollywood movie productions buy their special effects products from them.

I have bought about 20 gallons of latex from monstermakers.com over time.... quality stuff! I think their Perma Wet is a bit over rated as much as everybody on this site promotes it though... Works good on some applications but not others and is WAY over priced and doesn't come in gallons....

Hey guys. I'm thinking of using Joesomebody's method. Actually I was inspired by a YouTube vid, but Joe's basically doing what I'm planning to do. Do you guys think MonsterMaker's 32 oz. latex jar is enough for 1 Predator head?

Once again, I'm sculpting with clay and coating with latex.
Planning to use a styrofoam base head (which'd run me about $6 or so) with non-hardening preferably oil-based clay.

Thx

You can use the mold builder from michaels, Its very thick and pretty stiff when it drys. I have used it for masks and stuff before(back in the day lol) But now I get mine from Monster Makers and highly recommend it. Great quality and PJ and Arnold are great to deal with.

Compared to the price what I have to pay in the Netherlands it's very very cheap. Normally the price here is around $200-$250 for 1 gallon latex. And the quality what I get here is or the same (but it will be even more expensive $400, or it's bad than it will cost around $180). Mask making with latex is not well known here

GrtZ
And thanks for the link dude!!

Old good info resurrected is still good info.

However, an ebay thread or forsale thread that is two years old is a zombie with a tri laser on his forehead. Zap!

just got in two 32 ounce bottles of mask latex from monstermakers , great stuff, its crying quick too, highly reconmend,
as for the making a pred mask with one bottle id say it could be done but it would be a THIN mask lol
id get 2 bottles

ernie

just got in two 32 ounce bottles of mask latex from monstermakers , great stuff, its crying quick too, highly reconmend,
as for the making a pred mask with one bottle id say it could be done but it would be a THIN mask lol
id get 2 bottles

ernie

So you use that latex to make the mask or to make the mold of the mask?
I normally use rebound for casting solid objects, but do I use this rubber to make the mold and cast the mask I want?

So you use that latex to make the mask or to make the mold of the mask?
I normally use rebound for casting solid objects, but do I use this rubber to make the mold and cast the mask I want?

normally you would want to pull latex from a stone mold, but I have run latex in both silicone and fiberglass molds.... Had to run heat guns to expedite the curing process though. There are many other alternatives to monster makers as a supplier. friends beauty and FX, Nigels and Burman industries are all suppliers in the Los Angeles area. check out V-gloss as an alternative to permawet ... Developed at Legacy Effects

Molds for Latex Masks are made from Ultracal (a type of plaster/cement). The latex is then poured inside and left to sit awhile and then poured out and the remaining skin is left to dry in the mold and then removed later. I found a great place that rents how to DVD's and there is a good video there that you can rent that will show you the whole process. Heres a link:

http://smartflix.com/store/video/2921/Mark...ds-And-Castings

normally you would want to pull latex from a stone mold, but I have run latex in both silicone and fiberglass molds.... Had to run heat guns to expedite the curing process though. There are many other alternatives to monster makers as a supplier. friends beauty and FX, Nigels and Burman industries are all suppliers in the Los Angeles area. check out V-gloss as an alternative to permawet ... Developed at Legacy Effects
Molds for Latex Masks are made from Ultracal (a type of plaster/cement). The latex is thehttp://www.monstermakers.com/product/basic-latex-prop-making-kit.htmln poured inside and left to sit awhile and then poured out and the remaining skin is left to dry in the mold and then removed later. I found a great place that rents how to DVD's and there is a good video there that you can rent that will show you the whole process. Heres a link:

http://smartflix.com/store/video/2921/Mark...ds-And-Castings

Oh thanks :lol:
I was getting a little confuse there, so the mold is supposed to be made out of a stone mold then like VaderDave said Ultra-Cal is the way to go.

Thanks guys ;) widsh there were more guys like you. The time I joined, I was scared to post a topic about a question because I saw other noobs getting flamed hardcore :p

So all I have to do is watch a couple of youtube vids, read some instructions and TA-DA!!!
I will be ready to create ultracal molds in no time :eek:

So guys get ready for a couple of runs of my super cool pred stuff

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back