Question about lacquer paints.

Gus76

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry if it was answered before, but I am having a hard time finding a good lacquer paint that I can apply with airbrush. I searched the web and this forum, but could not find the answer to my question.

Gunze Sangyo was making really nice paints with easy-twist cap which were acrylic solvent based lacquers, but then they changed something inside as well as cap design. I know because before I could not dissolve those paints with alcohol but now I can, even though they sold as solvent based.

Does anyone know a good brand similar to "old school" mr. Color lacquers? Please don't advise Tamiya or any kind of rattle cans.

I only use acrylic lacquer for all my props available from auto paint stores. It's expensive because you have to buy in larger quantities, but it is the best most versatile paint I've ever used. Go to your local auto paint store and ask the smallest they'll supply. I buy in 500ml - 1L.

I only use acrylic lacquer for all my props available from auto paint stores. It's expensive because you have to buy in larger quantities, but it is the best most versatile paint I've ever used. Go to your local auto paint store and ask the smallest they'll supply. I buy in 500ml - 1L.

I am from Canada and here you can only find rattle cans in an auto store. Could you please tell me name of the brand that you use?

Car paint laquer is the best!! Bright, hard, UV-proof... There are solvent base and water base, flatt and gloss. Te best option: find small 100ml bottles and go to your local paint car store with them and a big big smile. Buy some basic colors and mix

There's no such thing as water based acrylic lacquer, people get confused because it has the 'acrylic' word in it. Same when people say 'water based enamel' there is no such thing...it's a play on words at best.

If you local auto store doesn't sell it, go to a auto paint store, they may not sell it in small quantities like 100ml, but they will have it.

Tamiya only sells lacquers in rattle spray cans. Their "regular" line of acrylics very fragile and much less durable than lacquers.

Yes that's true. However, I don't know if you are aware, but you can thin the acrylics with Tamiya's lacquer thinner and they will dry harder and more durable.

My go to is: Auto Air colors
For Canada, go HERE.

Most of car painters use water solve base paint for car repair.

It depends on where you're from. I wouldn't say most cars are painted with water based, but there is a water based lacquer. And N.A.S.A. doesn't sell paint... ;) In Europe, it might be different. They are way ahead of the US in eco-friendly products. :)

When you go to the paint shop, you will be faced by the fact that lacquer is no longer allowed in several states in the US. Instead of going immediately for lacquer, which you might have been used to in the past, you will be asked to choose between urethane and enamel paints. A water-based topcoat clear paint has yet to be developed though, so that urethane clears can be replaced. Some water-based systems, such as Auto Air colors, depend on using a urethane primer and clear along with its paint for a complete finish.
Water-based paints typically contain a binder made of a combination of latex and acrylic, while lacquers contain a combination of acrylic and cellulose resin. Water-based lacquer behaves in much the same way as nitrocellulose lacquer, the solvent-based product that has long been the standard in the finishing industry. It softens and binds with the undercoat as you build up the finish. You can brush or spray paint, but you must spray the lacquer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back