Question about Iron man Arc reactor

Laspector

Master Member
If the Iron man suit is capable of being powered by a non-implanted arc reactor such as Rhodey's suit, why does Tony Stark still keep one in his chest? He's got like a bazillion dollars. Surely between him and SHIELD someone could remove the shrapnel from his chest. And the reactor was even killing him before he discovered that new element. Why even still use it? Just get the operation and fix his heart and just use the reactor for the suit?:facepalm

It's a movie. Iron Man suits of armor can't exist. Arc Reactors can't exist. Considering the size of the Arc Reactor, there's no heart there anymore ( Pepper put her whole hand inside Tony's torso ). Just unplug your brain, don't think about plot holes and enjoy the moving pictures. :)

I always wondered about her sticking her hand in there. At first he just had an electromagnet pulling on the bits of metal to keep them from going into his heart.. He was still in the cave when he put in the first reactor. Did he remove his own heart or something?

Well, the heart isn't completely centered in the chest, so the reactor could still be in the center of the chest next to the heart...

And when she pulled it out she unplugged the wire. From What? It's self contained.

And shouldn't it surround his heart to keep shrapnel away, not be off to one side?

"I can accept the impossible, but not the implausible."

No, remember when he was shot, he was croutching down, turning away from the gun fire, facing South-East. That means that the schrapnel would have been coming from a North-West trajectory, added to the fact that it was coming from ground forces firing from chest high in a spray pattern uphill, the schrapnel would have entered Tony's body at a 35 degree upward angle, so it would in effect be angled just to the left of the sternum, heading at a 52 degree agle towards the heart. So therefore the reactor would not need to pull at a 90 degree upward angle away from the heart, but rather sit exactly where it is, pulling to the side.

I'm making this up of course, but it sounds plausible! :lol

And when she pulled it out she unplugged the wire. From What? It's self contained.

And shouldn't it surround his heart to keep shrapnel away, not be off to one side?

"I can accept the impossible, but not the implausible."

Same reason that in the comics as soon as he gets healthy something else goes horribly wrong everyone likes a traumatic hero more than one who has no issues.

Yeah, he finally get the schrapnel removed in the comics... and then he fuses with his armor due to the Extremis virus. Or something like that. :p

@ Terryr : Yeah, she takes the magnet away, and still reconnect the wires of the new arc reactor to something. To what ? I don't know.

@ Kevin Gosset : Sure, but due to the size of the hole, and the fact that there are lungs there, it barely leaves room for the heart, less alone for it to beat... :D

... and we're not talking about the pain, the muscles and all... Best thing is, DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT - or you'll scratch your head for the rest of your lives. :p

Because, if he removed the shrapnel then MARVEL couldn't milk the franchise for a billion more dollars!

Shrapnel...that's afun word to type. SHRAPNEL!

Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel
Shrapnel

And there doesn't seem any way to plug it into the suit.

And that much power would give off a lot of heat.

How does he sleep at night with that glowing onto the ceiling?

And what happen to all that "pus" that he has inside his body.
Virginia 'Pepper' Potts: [fumbling inside Stark's chest] Oh... ah... EWW, there's pus!
Tony Stark: It's not pus. It's an inorganic plasmic discharge. It's from the device, not my body.
Virginia 'Pepper' Potts: It smells!
Tony Stark: Yeah, it does.

If it's "inorganic" it will not be absorbed by his body i would imagine. And if its the arc that makes it, he would need to clean it at least every week.

And how do he cover the smell? maybe he has a wunderbaum stuck behind the arc.

And what happen to all that "pus" that he has inside his body.

If it's "inorganic" it will not be absorbed by his body i would imagine. And if its the arc that makes it, he would need to clean it at least every week.

And how do he cover the smell? maybe he has a wunderbaum stuck behind the arc.

Maybe it only smells from being in there and he probably has one of the robots shopvac the goop out. In the comics about the time he gets the shrapnel taken out he's shot by an ex lover, then he gets some virus in his nervous system and "dies" (which is where Warmachine is introduced), he comes back paralyzed using a remote Ironman, then his alcoholism pops up again and finally the Extremis virus hits him. Marvel treats Tony the worst of all the characters.

If the Iron man suit is capable of being powered by a non-implanted arc reactor such as Rhodey's suit, why does Tony Stark still keep one in his chest? He's got like a bazillion dollars. Surely between him and SHIELD someone could remove the shrapnel from his chest. And the reactor was even killing him before he discovered that new element. Why even still use it? Just get the operation and fix his heart and just use the reactor for the suit?:facepalm

Chicks dig scars and Paladium reactors in your chest.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back