Question about crumbling latexmask

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Xterminatus

Hi everyone.

I recently got a mask sent to me that i was going to do a compleate repaint on.
The thing is that the mask were in such a bad condition that it was impossible to do anything with it at all.

the latex was cracked all over the place and the only thing holding it together was the faomfilling in the mask

Anyone know what can cause latex to deteriorate into such a bad shape ?
I have tons of latex masks and i would love to have them in a few years from now also hehe

Pics:

4948392184_2e285da288_b.jpg.png

4948392564_7b2427559b_b.jpg.png

4947802809_88cb032b46_b.jpg.png

4948393380_65d17eda6b_b.jpg.png

4947801709_b3e0fa934e_b.jpg.png

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

xdmray

that's a bummer. all latex breaks down eventually. it is an organic compound. but seeing that Wolf isn't that old it seems weird that it is breaking down already. could be the type of latex used. not all latex is created equally. or it could be what ever paint was used. might of had something in it to quicken the deterioration

latex exposed to sun will also deteriorate quicker.

ptgreek

That's why I always recommend resin busts. Latex just wont last...

Cant wear a resin bust.

hmmm? its hard to tell. Without offending anyone here that possibly made that mask, it does appear that some of the latex looks like it was pretty thin. A very possible contributing factor is heat. Where was this mask stored? was it near a window exposing it to sunlight? I have seen cracks like this appear in latex that was left in direct sunlight for periods of time. Many other factors can figure into this ..as stated before an unknowingly bad batch of latex could have been used, etc

Yarko

But a lot of people ask for latex heads just for display. Then, 4 years later, **** happens o_o

roninpredator

Sr Member
that's why I try to stay away from latex now.After seeing my casey love designs bust desintegrate (after 12 years) right before my eyes. the only latex pieces I would buy would be a usurper P2 and that's cuz IMHO it's the most accurate P2 ever .and maybe a BB berserker.
Since I dont want them to wear but to display, for me it's resin all the way from now on.

Cathat

I suspect not all latex quality is the same - but this is personal experience here. Cheap Haloween costume shop stuff can go bad in improper storage as fast as few years. Yet stronger stuff from professionals in the same conditions has lasted better.

Latex rubber is organic material - and as such, it will decompose - you can only slow it down with good care.

Directly sunlight / UV radiation while on display over they years - bad - exessive heat in storage - squished/distorted in storage - bad. How much/freqently something is handled/ bent effects archival quality as well.

Food for thought - A true expert in archival care (search the internet) could probably tell you about microbes and the small critters that latex materials and accelerate its decomposition. We all know what to put by cloth to prevent moths but what about latex materail? It would be interesting to know

Cathat

Lrplad

Moisture, cold, damp, sweat, mould & sunlight all do serious damage.

No matter how old, all latex breaks down, cracks etc if it's not looked after.

If wearing these things, they need to be cleaned & dried properly after use (I dust with plain talcum powder inside)

This sounds like it hasn't had much luv ;)

4505marcel

I had a P1 that went like that, only at the back though that was facing my window, so yeah UV is a real killer. I thought it would be ok as we had net curtains at the time which difused the light but nope was just good for the bin. Looked fine untill I moved it one day and my hand went straight through ;)