Question about applying weathering textures

Ezra98

Hey all, I'm currently prepping a piece of armor and have an idea for adding in certain areas a muddy texture.

I was thinking of something similar to this.. man-with-crash-helmet-covered-with-mud-involved-in-motocross-racing-b443nc.jpg

I was thinking maybe hot glue or something of the like that could simulate the texture look. Have any of you ever done anything to achieve a clumped muddy Look? Or of something similar?

I've done a few weathering paint-jobs before but nothing like this before so I'm a little flustered with it.

I think you’re on the right track with hot glue. I would get the shape you want with hot glue, tape it off and spray it with some textured spray paint.

e224cdaee9ead164f83a70ecdc5edba3.jpg

For the movie "The Mask", production asked me if we could age the "Viking" chest to look like it had been underwater for centuries, but then clean it off to look new again, because the scene with the Vikings burring it shot at a later date. At first I thought no way, but then remembered an old make-up trick.
Oatmeal (or other filler) mixed with latex rubber, then stippled on with a brush or sponge. This may be a good solution here. If you don't like where it's going or how it looks, you can just peel it off.
Another way we heavily texture props is with Bondo body filler. Again, stipple it on with a sponge or rag. With a little experimentation, you can come up with a range of texture styles, by working the bondo at different stages of it's hardening process. Also, you can layer it and using a wet rag texture it differently than with a dry rag.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back