Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

this movie should be awesome!!!!
    i'm always game for a tarantino flick!

3. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Didn't know there was a new QT movie coming down the pike. Very excited!

4. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't care what film it is. Give me real 70 mm projection!

No, I do care. I enjoy QTs films.

5. Vivek

eruditechick: Omg the #Hateful8 panel is off to an amazing start w/an Ultra Panavision featurette.

empiremagazine: The #HatefulEight panel begins with a panavision history lesson from QT and SLJ. Fun and informative! #sdcc

[​IMG]

empiremagazine: The #HatefulEight will be shown on Christmas Day via a Roadshow format in sweet, sweet 70mm across America in around 100 cinemas. #sdcc

Sam_Strange: "It's not like they used these types of lenses on Ben-Hur. These are the lenses they USED on Ben-Hur." #SDCC

empiremagazine: Quentin Tarantino has brought seven whole minutes of specially cut footage for the #sdcc Hall H crowd. There will be blood. #HatefulEight

6. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

Decent poster.

[​IMG]

Axlotl likes this.
  7. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Opening any film at christmas this year is a risky move, I know its not exactly the same audience as star wars, but there is bound to be some crossover of fans, and they might not be able to get babysitters to see two films.

8. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

I think I'm getting more excited for this one than Star Wars. I'm approaching Star Wars cautiously for the reason of over-hype. Don't wanna repeat what happened in 1999. They don't make many westerns in this day and age and I like a good western.

9. cayman shen

Frankly, QT has a much better track record with me than SW does...

madmikeee and JoeG like this.
  10. Coop

Coop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Axlotl and cayman shen like this.
  11. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4 out of 8 and 3 out of 6.

Fair's fair.

12. cayman shen

SW is 3/6 with me. The only Tarantino flick I really dislike is Death Proof. I hated Inglourious Basterds on first viewing, thought it was dull and pretentious, but have since come to love it. Everything else he's done I have unequivocally adored.

13. PoopaPapaPalps

For me, it's very cut and dry when it comes to my favorite of QT's filmography. They follow as such:

1) Reservoir Dogs
    2) Jackie Brown
    3/4) Pulp Fiction/Inglorious Basterds*

Everything else is crap to me, after that. Both Kill Bill's, Death Proof, Django. Yeah. Crap.

*Basterds and Pulp Fiction are actually tied for me because a good third in both films are fairly poor to me.

VilleLeskinen likes this.
  14. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

I love every Tarantino film with Inglourious basterds being my favorite. Bring it on!

15. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

1*. True Romance (I know he didn't direct this, so maybe it shouldn't be included)
    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Kill Bill 1 (almost ruined by David Carradine)
    3. Inglourious Basterds (almost ruined by letting Eli Roth play the "Bear Jew" character)
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Kill Bill 2 (ruined by David Carradine)
    7. Reservoir Dogs
    8. Death Proof (mostly because of how poorly acted/written the female DJ character was)

Keep in mind, to me, bad QT is better than most good material from others (I am referring to QT's writing and directing, and NOT referring to QT's acting).
    Am very eager to see The Hateful 8.

madmikeee likes this.
  16. JacksColon

JacksColon New Member

I'm so biased when it comes to Tarantino. I think I could watch a two hour video of someone taking a dump as long as it's directed and written by him. Have yet to even be slightly disappointed by any of his films. Can't wait for The Hateful 8, way more excited for this than episode 7 even though I'm very excited for episode 7.

17. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Axlotl likes this.
  18. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Let's do it!

19. Bedon292

Bedon292 Active Member

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it. Going to have to figure out where the 70mm theaters are around me.

20. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im there strictly for the 70 mm!

21. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack. That's one area where Tarantino excels, picking great music. :cool

22. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Than you'll likely be in for a disappointment because this is Tarantino's first film to have it's music done by a composer. In this case, the one and only Ennio Morricone.

23. Father

Father Sr Member

Looks dumb.

I've been wrong and eaten my words before so who knows.

Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are arguably his best. Jackie Brown was fun. I enjoyed the Kill Bill movies... I think they got better the more I watched them. But after his first two movies I started to really hate the dialogue in almost all of his movies. It feels contrived and forced, much like his camera action.

24. cayman shen

New trailer rocks. Given QT's track record I'm just gonna assume I'll love this now and not fret.

25. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait to see this in 70mm

26. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Agreed. There's way too much of it as well.

Eye of the beholder, you like it or you don't.

27. Vivek

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/photos/a.216126946156.142629.48103536156/10153033174041157/?type=3

James Gunn:

"I saw The Hateful Eight a couple months ago and was asked not to post about it on social media, but now that a lot of people are starting to see and be vocal about it, I guess it's fair to say something. Although the film wasn't finished when I saw it, it was probably my favorite of the year - perhaps QT's best (that said, my other favorite is the underappreciated Jackie Brown - my taste is either refined or unusual, depending on how you look at it).

I don't want to say much about the film, because I think it's best to go in fresh like I did, but I'm posting this to strongly suggest seeing the film in 70mm, which is a longer version as well as an overture and intermission. This is a film that was created to be seen in that format if you can; it's well worth a longer drive or a couple extra bucks.

Have a great day."

[​IMG]

28. cayman shen

Respect James Gunn, LOVE Jackie Brown. This is a good report!

29. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

If I'm not too burnt out on the theater from seeing SW 10212356019275129385 times by Christmas, I'd really like to catch this one in the theater. I love some good QT dialogue.

Solos blaster and cayman shen like this.
  30. PoopaPapaPalps

Dunno where else to put this so I guess here's a quick summary on what I thought: More entertaining then Django but the performances aren't all there. Didn't need to be in 70mm, wasn't done much with it, Morricone's music is very scarce, and Sally Menke is sorely missed; another case of how much Tarantino's work rode on her skill. Still, fairly entertaining all in all. Of Tarantino's modern work, this is leagues above Deathproof and the Kill Bill movies, above Django, and kinda sits under Inglorious Basterds just because of performances. But of his modern flicks, I think this is the best narratively.

I say if you already enjoy QT's work, you'll like this but I wouldn't recommend tracking this movie down to see it in 70mm with the Overture and Intermission. It really isn't worth it. "Regular" works just fine.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    cayman shen likes this.
  31. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Did anyone notice he reused Ennio's music from John Carpenter's The Thing?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  32. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

I haven't seen it yet but I am disappointed to hear Morricone's music is not used much. I seem to recall hearing that Tarantino didn't get quite what he expected from Morricone. I had heard it doesn't have the "spaghetti western" vibe that one would expect and if true, I had hoped that wouldn't be the case...

33. Kyuzo

Kyuzo Active Member

Awesome movie! Easily the next best I've seen(After Fury Road (being the best movie in like two decades.)) in a while. I love all Tarantino though in the latest he has started to make them way too long (Especielly Dajngo which should have ended without the last act and Inglorious Basterds with those never ending dialogues.) This had some of these tendencies but kept it together in the end. In my mind this is one of his best.

34. Augh

Augh Active Member

Pro:

Walton Goggins getting some mainstream screentime.
    Someone finally put Tarantino on a leash in terms of dialogue. Yeah there is a LOT of it, but he seems to at last have got around to exercising some degree of restraint.
    Like the above point, there is less ghoulish nudging and winking at the audience than the last few outings, less self referential stuff in general.

Con:

Without Sally Menke, Tarantino is going to suffer bigtime. Framing and pacing both seemed a little strange and off kilter.
    Despite some colourful characters, I couldn't honestly say I really care about anyone in the slightest.

Was a good watch, but I don't really feel compelled towards repeated viewings personally.

35. JoeG

Just got back from one of the "roadshow" screenings. Had a really great time and enjoyed the movie thoroughly. If you are a fan of Tarantino and you have a chance to go to one of the roadshows, I highly recommend you do it. Its worth it.

36. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

Just had the privilege of seeing this in 70mm. Easily the movie of the year. Writing, acting, cinematography, score--all top notch. And I got a souvenir program!

37. JoeG

Yeah, the program was a nice touch! Not to mention the overture. Loved it all!

CXMML-bU0AAG9SS.jpg

38. Dhart503

Dhart503 New Member

Sally Menke passed away in 2010. She didn't edit Django.

39. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

I watched this yesterday and I'm curious as to why this movie was shot on 70mm, other than because of Tarantino's sense of nostalgia.

Darth Lars and VilleLeskinen like this.
  40. Dhart503

Dhart503 New Member

Everything that I've read suggests his sense of nostalgia. It does make the landscape shots look amazing. He also liked the ability to place actors all over in the cabin because he could fit more into the frame. The score is my favorite part. It's eerie and sets the mood for the movie. Tarantino still get to sprinkle in a few choice songs like the rest of his films.

41. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

I have to be the bitter old man, again, and with great demise, I have to say what an utterly boring film. Are we all seeing the same movie? Unless I passed out from boredom was the courtroom flashback scene cut? People keep saying, and I quote, "great writing" yet 9 times out of ten it seems everything someone says they do just the opposite in the following scene. This movie reminded me of the rash of Pulp Fiction wanna be movies that came out in the 90's after Pulp Fiction hit yet they tried so hard to be witty with the dialogue and slick with the story it all felt like a student film. This was THAT only with a large budget and for whatever reason, in 70mm.

Now I have to go and watch Captain Ron and Escape from New York back to back to wash this wasted three hours out of my memory.

42. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I went and saw this movie last Sunday. it was a good movie for most of the film. I guess I'm tired of the good guys always winning. I was hoping once major got his nuts blown off and fell to the floor another shot would blow his head apart. Sadly it didn't happen..why? Cause the bad guys can't finish anything in a QT film. I was waiting and waiting for a twist to happen. Maybe Oswald would creep out a bit while the other 2 were hanging daisy up. Blow the sheriff away, leaving daisy free to do some thing crazy in a way to kill the helpless major. Like let's hang him instead.

Kurt & Jennifer were outstanding. I hope this brings Jennifer back into more film rounds.

So sick of seeing Samuel L Jackson in everything these days. I think he could have gone with major being Djanjo in the film. Used Jamie fox again in that role.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  43. kuzushi

kuzushi Well-Known Member

I liked probably 2/3 of the movie. Not a fan of the excessively graphic violence.

44. theyrenotdolls

theyrenotdolls Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw this last night. I enjoyed the cinematography and the score...these made the movie beautiful. The exaggerated violence and language made the movie vulgar. In the end I realized I didn't have a reason to care about a single character in it, therefore I didn't care who killed whom. I also didn't like the sudden insertion of a narrator to explain
    that the coffee was poisoned.

45. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

I know Tarantino has carved out his niche in cinema (as I'm constantly reminded of by my movie buff friends) but I really missed the point of this movie. I really didn't mind the first 30 minutes in the stagecoach and I seriously believed the movie was heading in a direction I could appreciate. Well, I was wrong. I can appreciate the fine cast and the work they did given the dialogue they had. Each character had their fair share of screen time. However, like most Tarantino movies, I found the dialogue totally contrived, juvenile and almost desperate at times. There was so much repetitive dialogue that led absolutely no where. I found no advancement of plot. I saw it with a friend of mine and we were both huffing, puffing, sighing, and looking at each other in disbelief during the last 2/3rds of the movie. The 'flashback' scene seemed to go on forever and in a standard story structure it could have been introduced earlier, but clearly Tarantino didn't want it done that way. The violence is excessive and really ridiculous (in my opinion of course). I love violent movies and I agree with what Tarantino said in a popular interview with Krishnan Guru-Murthy when Django Unchained was released, that violence does 'make good cinema'. However, not quite the kind of violence shown in this movie. I was critical of Krishnan Guru-Murthy's style of questioning and felt that he was pressing Tarantino unfairly and came off pretentious, however now in retrospect I'm happy with how he was questioned. As it's been discussed many times before, I took offence to Tarantino's over use of the 'N-word'. I no longer believe it's just 'his style'. I believe there must be some inherent racism at play when a director seems to have a repetitive agenda they are pushing in movie. The justification that Samuel Jackson was the main character and some of the racist language is somehow forgivable simply because it's set in the 1800s when racist attitudes were more prevalent, doesn't sit well with me. I found the scene where Samuel Jackson tells Bruce Dern the story of how treated his son to be so deliberately contrived and the dialogue was quite simply painful to sit through. I also found it funny that Tarantino had to insert himself as narrator at certain points to explain what was happening, although nothing was really happening. I try to find more depth in the movies I watch and every time I watch a movie I am hopeful that it will make me think about it long after it's over. A good cast alone can't make me praise a movie for its performances. Again, to many actors it's just another paycheque and more exposure for their career. That being said, I liked all the actors in the movie. I am still of the belief that Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are my favourite Tarantino movies. I have read several reviews of Hateful Eight that seem to echo my exact opinions of the movie so at least I know I am not the only 'crazy' one who didn't like it. Again, good cinematography, good acting, and 70mm film don't automatically add to a movie's appeal, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    madmikeee likes this.
  46. Dhart503

Dhart503 New Member

I have no problem with the use of the n word in this film. Are we to gloss over how people spoke in these times because of the pc natural of today's world. While this film is fiction that doesn't mean people didn't use those words in this time period.

What I enjoy about his films is the fact that they fly by, 3 hours seemed like half that time. I'm less urged to check my phone and am refreshed that the dialogue and interactions make up the bulk of the entertainment.

Tarantino's films have a different feeling. They're like blockbuster indie films. All different but alike.

The man can write conversations and isn't limited by time period or setting. No matter the placement, the dialogue makes sense and is believable.

I can't wait to see what's next.

47. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

For the record QT's not a racist with a hidden agenda. He is a very loose cannon both professionally and personally but has never been a racist.

48. CelticWarrior

CelticWarrior Well-Known Member

Film of the year. Superb.

49. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I came back from a supposed 70mm showing not long ago. I think that neither the sound nor the picture quality at the show I went to was even up to modern standards though. Was the sound an analogue mono track on the film strip itself?
    We also didn't get any program but there was overture and intermission and a commemorative poster to take home afterwards.

I agree with earlier posts that the 70mm 2.76:1 format did not add anything. It is a drama set in mostly one room - not a picture that is big on visuals.
    It felt as if Tarantino had a few things on his bucket list that he wanted to accomplish in his film-making career and decided to check them off all at once.

I do think that playing on tensions left after the civil war worked great - adding tension and motivation to characters' actions. There are so many Westerns set around that time period that don't even have a passing mention of the civil war, acting as if slavery and war never happened.
    The cast and the characters were mostly great. I greatly enjoyed Jennifer Jason Leigh. However, while they used a real Mexican actor to play the "Mexican" guy, I expected for a long time to have the character be exposed as someone only pretending to be Mexican ...

I am also one that thinks that the violence was excessive and ridiculous, which took the edge off the violence a bit and made it feel more like an action-comedy and less of a hard-boiled drama.
    I couldn't see that this was supposed to be a homage to any slasher pic or anything, like some of Tarantino's earlier work, so I couldn't see the point.

50. JoeG

Went to the theater today to see The Revenant and on the way out asked if they had any left over Hateful Eight programs. Trying to complete my set, so they let me sort through the whole stack that they had. Unfortunately they only had the one with the Kurt Russel centerfold.