Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Post-release)

What did you think of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

• Total voters
Way too long, way too self indulgent. I just don't get it... the plot moved at a snail's pace, the story was paper thin. The only somewhat compelling character was played by Brad Pitt. The last 30 minutes or so takes a hard right turn into Tarantino territory...

But, with all that it took to get this movie made... I just don't get why.

I enjoyed it. I think people who are 45+ and grew up in Los Angeles around the film industry will feel a great sense of nostalgia with this film. There was A LOT of care taken to capture the zeitgeist of that era. Quentin is one of the few people who could get a film like this made; it's definitely for him and his hardcore fans.

Saw it twice this weekend and absolutely loved it even more after the 2nd time. Seeing and hearing L.A. just as it was in that era was so cool. Every detail was just right. Getting a slice of life of two jobbers in the tv\movie industry compared to the life of some of the "cool kids" was really fun. This really felt like a dreamy, fairy tale love letter to Quentin's L.A. Also using Pitt and Dicaprio to play aging guys struggling to stay relevant was genius.

I loved it myself .

But there is definitely a split in the audience.
I went to a Sunday morning show mostly older crowd . Everyone seemed to love it some clapping and cheers at the end .

Went with some friends to an evening showing. Younger crowd.

People walked out including some in my party.

Too boring.

My take as an old cumugen.
people nowadays cant chew gum without an app , a support group or at least some flashy lights to keep them focused on the task .
Oh well it was a nice break and most likely the last break we will get from
Community written , focus group tested , formulaic, mass appeal. T MOO V Z .

I mean the next movie I can think of I want to see Is Ruse of Skywalker and that's because I have seen every other movie in the theater and might as well rubber neck . That's what you do when you see a trainwreck isn't it .

I loved it myself .

But there is definitely a split in the audience.
I went to a Sunday morning show mostly older crowd . Everyone seemed to love it some clapping and cheers at the end .

Went with some friends to an evening showing. Younger crowd.

People walked out including some in my party.

Too boring.

My take as an old cumugen.
people nowadays cant chew gum without an app , a support group or at least some flashy lights to keep them focused on the task .
Oh well it was a nice break and most likely the last break we will get from
Community written , focus group tested , formulaic, mass appeal. T MOO V Z .

I mean the next movie I can think of I want to see Is Ruse of Skywalker and that's because I have seen every other movie in the theater and might as well rubber neck . That's what you do when you see a trainwreck isn't it .
I agree, this movie is more of a character study then most audiences now might be used to. I definitely thought it was a bit slow at times, I agree with that consensus, but slow doesnt mean 'bad' or 'boring' to me neccessarily so I watched and waited, and realized what Tarantino was doing in these 'slow' moments, building up characters, watching them through moments in their lives... I felt I could see myself rewatching this when it comes out on BR.

I really loved the little details brad pitt's all leather moccasins watch and and bracelet.
The cherry was the watch a casio bullhead chronograph. The poor mans equivalent to what the leading men of the time wore i.e. Paul Newmans Rolex Daytona and Steve McQueen's Heuer caliber 11 ( although he mainly wore a Rolex GMT , and the first incarnation of the Rolex Explorer 2 is named after him in the watch community even though he probably never wore it at all). But that's Hollywood and advertising for you . I love that Quentin would give think of that . As a watch guy I really appreciate it .

the last time I saw a watch that added to the story without mentioning the watch specifically but IF you know watches and see it adds depth .
L.A. confidential the main character had a Rolex Cellini on a cheap stretch bracelet. After you learn about his father being corrupted and him being strait up and honest . It makes sense he got what was at the time pretty much the most expensive Rolex you could buy handed down from his dad and when the band broke he could only afford the cheapest option to fix it . It adds to the story if you catch it . To me that's film making/storytelling creating a universe that is true to itself.

I got such a kick out of checking off all the locations I’ve visited, filmed at or ate or drank in. I saw it today and I’m still digesting the film but the most outstanding thing for me was the LA feel and capture. I will have to let this one sit with me a bit.

Saw it today. What am I gonna do? Go to work? (If you've seen my thread in the Off Topic forum, you'll get it).

Much like Inglorious Bastards, I didn't like the revisionist history of the ending. I wasn't thrilled about the portrayal of Bruce Lee as a loud mouth and a braggard. I mean, he was, but he also had the skills to back it up. I find it hard to believe he would have been so easily bested buy a stunt man without any martial arts training. Or even one with training. Let's just say I found it hard to suspend my disbelief.

That and the sequence at the ranch. I'd think Clint would have better sense than to start a fight on unfamiliar ground where he has no idea how outnumbered he could possibly be.

The rest of the film? Long, slow, and Tarantino at his most self indulgent. You could easily lose 20-30 minutes of run time without cutting into the narrative.

Ultimately, I didn't love it or hate it. I don't feel cheated having seen it, but it's not something I'm eager to see again. Maybe if it's on basic cable at some point in the future and there's nothing better to watch or do.

I think a lot of the enjoyment of this movie depends on when you were born, what you grew up knowing about the Manson murders, etc. I grew up here in Nor Cal, but we went to So Cal a few times a year. I'm 45, so I remember that world similar to how it was shown. The old logos, old cars, all that, were amazing to see. I loved the ending, because if the title didn't give it away this is a fairy tale, and we saw the way that night should have gone down. When the conversation started with Rick and Jay at the gate, my heart just broke.

It took place the same year my folks were married, so I'm taking them to see it next. I can't wait. I think my Mom is going be laughing and stomping her feet at the end (she loves brutal violence when it's justified. I know.... I know....) Anyway, it's a world and a place they remember well.

I knew/know nothing of the Charles Manson sitch... so the whole movie I had no idea what was being built to.

When it was over I said to my equally clueless friend “the only way I think this movie makes sense if Sharon Tate was murdered that night in reality... maybe it’s like the OJ murders... like these two lived next to Nicole Simpson, killed OJ and then got invited to coffee with her and Ron Goldman....”

When I got home I watched red letters review and right into the spoilers “read up on Charles Manson before seeing this!”

So I was right in my guess anyway. Would probably be way more interesting if I had any idea what happened to Sharon Tate.

'68 and '69 were kind of a modern robbing of the innocence for the country. People started locking their doors, stopped picking up hitchhikers, etc. This is a 'what if' story that carries a lot of real-world resonance.

worst film I have seen all year, and probably top 10 worst films I have ever seen. 2 hours and 45 minutes. Its like they didnt cut anything. Movie could have been condensed to a hour and half or less so many pointless overly drawn out scenes. Im surprised he didnt film the actors taking huge turds and making a 20 minute sequence of it. Heck I could cut down all the good scenes into a 10 minute segment.

Brad Pitt was amazing. His character was enjoyable, and thought he was the main great thing about the film. Leo did well as well. His trailer scene was great. Margaret Qualley was fantastic.

movie was so terribly bad. such a huge disappointment.

True, but 69 was also the summer of love, YEAH BABY YEAH!

A few days from now was Woodstock

'68 and '69 were kind of a modern robbing of the innocence for the country. People started locking their doors, stopped picking up hitchhikers, etc. This is a 'what if' story that carries a lot of real-world resonance.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back