Quatermass Xperiment rocket crash build

RobertHack

I'm a huge fan of the 1950's Quatermass serials and films And one custom build I've always wanted to attempt was the rocket crash from the first Hammer film, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT. Getting a package with excess packing foam led me to finally bring this custom dream to life. Also, this is my first build post to the RPF, hope you dig it.

q.jpg
^The inspiration. A still from The 1955 Hammer film, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT.

q1.jpg
^Foam packing material for the base. I saved this from some eBay purchase a few months ago. Large piece for the base and I shredded and hot-glued what was left to give some interesting topographical features.

q2.jpg
^ The ship is a repurposed DESTINATION MOON: Luna rocketship. A reasonable stand-in for the Quatermass rocket.

q3.jpg
^ Green spray paint and flocking for grass. I also added a bit of Clump Foliage where needed to cover wires or add bushes.

q4.jpg
^ I took the lighting kit from another model and rigged it into a cheap Dollar Store box. I finished and weathered the plain balsa wood box and added some vintage knobs. The large knob is functional, and controls the lights. The small ones are just for show.

q5.jpg
^ Lights rigged up through the base, and wound around the edge of the hole that the rocket slots into.

q6.jpg

q13.jpg
^ The fence was just balsa wood, cut and super-glued.

q12.jpg

q11.jpg

q10.jpg

q9.jpg

q8.jpg

q7.jpg
^ Still needs the tree, but it's my reasonable approximation of the original film still.

Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back