Quatermass and the Pit - Martian Ship CG model

skiffy

Sr Member
I saw an old resurrected thread on here about this ship and remembered that I'd started a CG model of it way back. Rather than hijack that - I thought I'd make a fresh start here.

So, this is where I got to when I put this aside:

QuatermassHobShip.jpg

..and after another little while noodling at it..

QuaterProgress.jpg

This is a cool-down hobby project for now but If I get this to a decent enough state I'll publish the STL file.

I saw an old resurrected thread on here about this ship and remembered that I'd started a CG model of it way back. Rather than hijack that - I thought I'd make a fresh start here.

View attachment 1589633

View attachment 1589634

This is a cool-down hobby project for now but If I get this to a decent enough state I'll publish the STL file.
Fingers crossed. STL file would be Awesome

View attachment 1589633

View attachment 1589634

A stl file would be awesome

Ah, yes I see now. There's reference in the book and in the BBC TV series of the unearthed vessel being basically the 'skeletal remains' of a ship that originally had organic components that had rotted away - suggesting that it had been grown.

Okay, progress! More of the upper hull is built. I 'just' have to connect and ratify the remaining polygons / edge flow.

Hob_22062401.jpg

The lower hull has 2 depressions in it which (I think) belie the fact that the prop was built from 2 fibre-glass yacht hulls (the two depressions are for twin-screws).

Rear3.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had time to look again at the screenshots I took and I’ve found some areas that need revisiting. I did a pretty thorough search for any ‘behind the scenes’ images or written accounts by the production crew but sadly this was made long before ‘making of featurettes’ were a thing. :)

So I’m on my own for recreating this form as accurately as I can. I’ve learned a lot by studying and annnotating these screenshots and will be amending the mesh later.

995E4441-5D41-4070-9D40-A2B772172C05.jpeg

Last edited:
Apologies for the necro-post!

I was prompted in a DM about progress on this build and I've now got the shell 95% done.

I tried to update last night but couldn't get ANY RPF threads to open?

Anyway, all seems good now so as soon as I'm back in the workshop later I'll do a proper post with pics.

Here's a screenshot of where I'm at. The hull has been completed, a little of which is guesswork at lower front - but hopefully seems logical. I'll give that bit another pass soon, it looks a little dumpy.

Next job is to open up the 'doorway' and plan an interior, including the wall separating the Hobb pilots at the front.

QMass_23121901.jpg

I noticed in one of my reference screengrabs that there’s the suggestion of a ‘whale-tail’ at the back. The doorway is also not quite right. I’ll revisit hopefully today and do some tweaking.

It would be great to model some martians for the interior…

I made some tweaks to the model - sloping the underside more from the front, widening the outer band around the sides creating more of a platform (which makes the doorway look more accurate) and adding the three flutes of the whale tail at the rear. The doorway is a simple boolean presently but will be cut out of the geometry properly when I get to that point. I'll also create a thickness to the shell and think about an interior.

QMass_231227.jpg

I may try a print-out soon to see if I need to increase the polygon count.

Thanks Antsnest. I have the shape about right but it needs refining - especially for resin. For those that know, the base file is far too low poly for a proper large print, so now begins the ecstasy and agony of retopology.

QMass_23123001.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back