Quatermass and the Pit - Martian Ship CG model

skiffy

Sr Member
I saw an old resurrected thread on here about this ship and remembered that I'd started a CG model of it way back. Rather than hijack that - I thought I'd make a fresh start here.

So, this is where I got to when I put this aside:

QuatermassHobShip.jpg

..and after another little while noodling at it..

QuaterProgress.jpg

This is a cool-down hobby project for now but If I get this to a decent enough state I'll publish the STL file.

Starman1

I saw an old resurrected thread on here about this ship and remembered that I'd started a CG model of it way back. Rather than hijack that - I thought I'd make a fresh start here.

View attachment 1589633

View attachment 1589634

This is a cool-down hobby project for now but If I get this to a decent enough state I'll publish the STL file.
Fingers crossed. STL file would be Awesome

View attachment 1589633

View attachment 1589634

A stl file would be awesome

skiffy

Sr Member
Ah, yes I see now. There's reference in the book and in the BBC TV series of the unearthed vessel being basically the 'skeletal remains' of a ship that originally had organic components that had rotted away - suggesting that it had been grown.

skiffy

Sr Member
Okay, progress! More of the upper hull is built. I 'just' have to connect and ratify the remaining polygons / edge flow.

Hob_22062401.jpg

The lower hull has 2 depressions in it which (I think) belie the fact that the prop was built from 2 fibre-glass yacht hulls (the two depressions are for twin-screws).

Rear3.jpg

Last edited:

skiffy

Sr Member
I’ve had time to look again at the screenshots I took and I’ve found some areas that need revisiting. I did a pretty thorough search for any ‘behind the scenes’ images or written accounts by the production crew but sadly this was made long before ‘making of featurettes’ were a thing. :)

So I’m on my own for recreating this form as accurately as I can. I’ve learned a lot by studying and annnotating these screenshots and will be amending the mesh later.

995E4441-5D41-4070-9D40-A2B772172C05.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.