quatermass and the pit /aka 5 million years to earth

martinacm

hi all , this is something i have been messing around with for a while now and i thought you guys and gals might like to see my efforts at a reproduction of a very seldom seen spacecraft. rpf1.JPGrpf2.JPGrpf3.JPGrpf4.JPGrpf5.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 852
Nice. That's a truly alien design and was utilized so well in the film. really dig that film but the original BBC series that its based on from the 1950s is one of the best pieces of science fiction television ever (plus it was recorded live, just like so much television from back then, like Doctor Who). If you've never seen the original, seek it out. Its on youtube or was. Interesting that Nigel Kneale who created Qatermass was not fond of Doctor Who at all since he believed the BBC stole the idea for Who from Quatermass. I really wish the BBC would give us a new Quatermass tv series. The remake of the original Quatermass series,The Quatermass Experiment, that the BBC did about 10 years ago was pretty sweet and if I remember right they did that entirely live.

Excellent subject choice as that one is the best of the Quatermass franchise. Every now and then, but always too infrequent, there's a truly fresh and surprising model subject posted, and yours fits that category admirably.

What was the reason for your colour choice? In the film the craft is non-metallic grey.
The only thing more criminal than the underrating of the film is that you didn't post pictures of the making of your model and how you determined its shape.

I think this color is close to the way it looks in a number of shots in the film; it may look dull grey when it's under strong, direct light (the spotlights they place on it when they're trying to cut through the hull?). Works for me.

Hello all, many thanks for the kind words
To answer your questions rks, the colour I used was a bit of a compromise and unfortunately it looked ok at the time, earlier on today I have recoated the ship with a colour I think is a better match.
As for in progress pics unfortunately because of the way I had to compare the model to reference pics and modify it to suit I was very lax with the picture taking. The model is made from perspex
And filler (bondo in the states)
Will post some more pics with the new colour when it's dry

Cheers martin

beautiful modelmaking Martin, did you ever make a mould of it perchance. The Martian ship from 'Quatermass and the Pit' is one I have been after for many many years
cheers, Joe

I think you did a magnificent job in recreating this craft- I still love that film and now I need to seek it out and watch it once more.
I think what really made that ship work so well is that we had mostly partial views of it until the end- what we did see was complex curves that looked totally alien in shape.

blimey! havent thought about this model for some time , strangely enough I had been contacted by someone from the states about reference material which I gladly sent to him a few weeks ago.
unfortunately I didn't make a mould or castings of any kind because the model was a proof of concept and not designed to be the finished thing, I have altered the model again to include the fishtail piece at the rear of the ship (I managed to find a decent shot of the rear )
and would like to construct a more accurate larger model at some time.
I am glad that people are interested in the ship because it seems to be overlooked for some reason and is such an otherworldly shape in a very atmospheric film and it deserves to be on show or replicated to draw people into watching these classic films.
if I can help in any way with reference images please don't hesitate to ask.

hi robert
time permitting I will eventually make a more accurate version, perhaps a little larger, say 12 to 14 inches long would be a nice size,
but I am willing to send you my research files if you want to make your own, just screencaps , a few annotations and the images which I modified to work from including as well 3 view photos of my original model ,

hi robert
time permitting I will eventually make a more accurate version, perhaps a little larger, say 12 to 14 inches long would be a nice size,
but I am willing to send you my research files if you want to make your own, just screencaps , a few annotations and the images which I modified to work from including as well 3 view photos of my original model ,
Oh, wow! That would be fabulous, Martin! Thank you! I'm at sawyer@sfwriter.com -- thanks again!

Amazing, stunning concept and series,great film, lovely model, well done sir!
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Kneale a some years ago, and had a REALLY hard time phrasing just HOW important his work was.
It was a great weekend, where they showed many of his works on a cinema screen, and had discussions etc, the high point being the great man himself being interviewed about his work.
A Titan of Sci fi [though he would have hated that description], and a true genius.

I have a soft spot for this movie too and a connection with Mr. Kneale myself. He was a native of the Isle of Man, where I live - Kneale is a Manx name. I worked with his nephew for a few years and we remain friends. I was also asked to design the cover for a reprint of one of his books 'Tomato Cain and other Stories'. Sadly I never met the man himself.

Hello all, many thanks for the kind words
To answer your questions rks, the colour I used was a bit of a compromise and unfortunately it looked ok at the time, earlier on today I have recoated the ship with a colour I think is a better match.
As for in progress pics unfortunately because of the way I had to compare the model to reference pics and modify it to suit I was very lax with the picture taking. The model is made from perspex
And filler (bondo in the states)
Will post some more pics with the new colour when it's dry

Cheers martin
Hi Martin do you happen to have cad for it. I would love to have a 3d print of one. Love the movie

Hi Martin do you happen to have cad for it. I would love to have a 3d print of one. Love the movie
Hi I've also wanted a 3d printed one. Did you have any luck with the cad. I'm a little shocked that more people haven't made models of such cool spaceship from such a iconic movie

Had to look it p, and NOW I remember this film!! Always liked it, haven't seen this in years.
Looking forward to the new pics.:cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back