quatermass and the pit /aka 5 million years to earth

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by martinacm, Aug 1, 2015.

1. martinacm

martinacm New Member

hi all , this is something i have been messing around with for a while now and i thought you guys and gals might like to see my efforts at a reproduction of a very seldom seen spacecraft. rpf1.JPG rpf2.JPG rpf3.JPG rpf4.JPG rpf5.JPG

Attached Files:

Wes R and dcarty like this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Active Member

Nice. That's a truly alien design and was utilized so well in the film. really dig that film but the original BBC series that its based on from the 1950s is one of the best pieces of science fiction television ever (plus it was recorded live, just like so much television from back then, like Doctor Who). If you've never seen the original, seek it out. Its on youtube or was. Interesting that Nigel Kneale who created Qatermass was not fond of Doctor Who at all since he believed the BBC stole the idea for Who from Quatermass. I really wish the BBC would give us a new Quatermass tv series. The remake of the original Quatermass series,The Quatermass Experiment, that the BBC did about 10 years ago was pretty sweet and if I remember right they did that entirely live.

3. JeffBond

JeffBond Active Member

Beautiful! One subject that's never received any kind of model treatment I know of...

4. RKS

RKS Active Member

Excellent subject choice as that one is the best of the Quatermass franchise. Every now and then, but always too infrequent, there's a truly fresh and surprising model subject posted, and yours fits that category admirably.

What was the reason for your colour choice? In the film the craft is non-metallic grey.
    The only thing more criminal than the underrating of the film is that you didn't post pictures of the making of your model and how you determined its shape.

5. JeffBond

JeffBond Active Member

I think this color is close to the way it looks in a number of shots in the film; it may look dull grey when it's under strong, direct light (the spotlights they place on it when they're trying to cut through the hull?). Works for me.

6. martinacm

martinacm New Member

Hello all, many thanks for the kind words
    To answer your questions rks, the colour I used was a bit of a compromise and unfortunately it looked ok at the time, earlier on today I have recoated the ship with a colour I think is a better match.
    As for in progress pics unfortunately because of the way I had to compare the model to reference pics and modify it to suit I was very lax with the picture taking. The model is made from perspex
    And filler (bondo in the states)
    Will post some more pics with the new colour when it's dry

Cheers martin