Unlimited Run Quasimodo - ANH / ESB / ROTJ Darth Vader helmet

Re: Quasimodo - ANH / ESB Darth Vader helmet

OMG stop it.....please.......must wait for bonus......

:)

Darth Ugly is okay if you're budget minded, but if you're spoiled by Quasimodo ESB, you'll be disappointed with Darth Ugly ROTJ.

But then, we do have Quasimodo ROTJ coming out, hopefully in a few months!

Mac, what I meant was that I have an ESB ugly and I would like to add ANH and ROTJ uglies and have them in a case together. When/if I get around to do a 1:1 Vader it will be a quasimodo helmet and armor.

Darth Ugly is okay if you're budget minded, but if you're spoiled by Quasimodo ESB, you'll be disappointed with Darth Ugly ROTJ.

But then, we do have Quasimodo ROTJ coming out, hopefully in a few months!

If someone were going to buy the quasimodo, would you recommend the esb version or wait for the rotj quasi.

If someone were going to buy the quasimodo, would you recommend the esb version or wait for the rotj quasi.

I think that's a matter of preference. I studied a lot of reference material to create each the ESB and ROTJ domes to where I feel they capture the look and spirit of the originals and will do fans of each film proud. Both will look great. I'm particularly proud of the way my ROTJ dome looks even though I prefer ESB as a film over ROTJ any day.

Each film - ANH, ESB, ROTJ - was a different point in Vader's an emotional and character arc. With ROTJ, the dome is worn in a way to where the eyebrows are shown more, and the menace of the frown you saw in ANH is not there. It's almost as if the emotion looks sad. He is formidable, but not as fearsome as he was in Empire. Somehow the overall appearance of ROTJ is like a man who suffers loss of identity, legacy and purpose, and you see him as a victim of choices and a dark power that he learned to respect because it ultimately overcame him and dominated his belief system and inner reality.

And then there were those blasted stupid little Ewok teddy bear things instead of Wookies, and that ruined ROTJ for me. So in terms of which to recommend - it depends on which movie and which look resonates with you the most. :thumbsup

I think that's a matter of preference. I studied a lot of reference material to create each the ESB and ROTJ domes to where I feel they capture the look and spirit of the originals and will do fans of each film proud. Both will look great. I'm particularly proud of the way my ROTJ dome looks even though I prefer ESB as a film over ROTJ any day.

Each film - ANH, ESB, ROTJ - was a different point in Vader's an emotional and character arc. With ROTJ, the dome is worn in a way to where the eyebrows are shown more, and the menace of the frown you saw in ANH is not there. It's almost as if the emotion looks sad. He is formidable, but not as fearsome as he was in Empire. Somehow the overall appearance of ROTJ is like a man who suffers loss of identity, legacy and purpose, and you see him as a victim of choices and a dark power that he learned to respect because it ultimately overcame him and dominated his belief system and inner reality.

And then there were those blasted stupid little Ewok teddy bear things instead of Wookies, and that ruined ROTJ for me. So in terms of which to recommend - it depends on which movie and which look resonates with you the most. :thumbsup

Call me a Teddy Bear,...one,...more,...time,......

3fc8955a0a08832b9c43732239393bd9.jpg

ROTJ Rocks. So do Ewoks. I know it does not have the really cool train for 15 minutes and become a Jedi scene but please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't make me destroy you. At least not until I have my three Vaders Helmets and Armor from you.

As far as your description of the differences between ANH, ESB, and ROTJ I love it. I have never seen it put so well.

Can't wait to see your Jedi.

I will forgive your comments about my beloved ROTJ and Ewoks.

Sure ROTJ was not a complete and total crappy copy/ripoff of ANH like a certain other Star Wars movie but hey,..what can you do.

Ewoks rock.

Tom

BTW,....before anyone complains,.... he started it:lol

Is all the info at the beginning of this thread accurate? I need to know where to send my $$$!!!

Is all the info at the beginning of this thread accurate? I need to know where to send my $$$!!!

Some of the is dated because it was the description of the V1. We are now in the V2 which was far more accurate and handsome than the V1 ANH. At the time of the V1, there were no ESB or ROTJs. The pictures you see in Post #1 are all V2, so just go by the pictures. :thumbsup

The V2 mask was really fun to do because a lot got sculpted over yet again, and it's a touch wider than the eFX. The V2 mask is the basis for my ESB and ROTJ, and anything based on this sculpt is considered a V2.

The V2 ANH dome isn't terribly different than the V1 ANH dome, but the proportions are far more handsome. However, rather than simply convert the V2 ANH into ESB, I actually resculpted my V1 ANH. I felt I had to do this, both from an artist's standpoint and from a structural standpoint. ANH and ESB give off different silhouettes and it was important for me to recreate the overall shape and proportions as I saw them in screenshots. My Quasimodo ROTJ dome sculpt is based on the ESB dome sculpt, but it has quite a variety of modifications. I didn't want to do a generic modification and then just slap the acronym "ROTJ" on it. It had to radiate both the prop look as well as the on-screen character. And if I did a half-assed approach, then people who like my work would be let down - and I can't let that happen.

ANH and ESB... (ROTJ is coming soon):

Quasimodo-V2-ANH-and-ESB-Brothers_zpsxp5bwonp.jpg

Now, on top of all this, Bookface has purchased a spray gun, and we'll see improvements with his already-excellent paint finish with rattle cans and hand polishing. I imagine we'll have a new set of photos, so I'm looking forward to those.

He may not have returned everyone's emails because he's quite fond of finally finishing his move into new shop space and installing a paint booth and fiberglassing/sanding booth, so please pardon his feeling like a kid in a candy store with his new shop space (I'm so jealous... I just have a kitchen counter and sink).

Also, we didn't really didn't emphasize that the helmets are made to function harmoniously with my Structurally Matching Armor.

bookface-armor-for-quasimodo-v2-anh_zpsd89af38b.jpg

For years we've been entreated with helmets where the mask, dome and armor may be entirely different sources, and even though they are painted with very fine automotive finishes, they don't function well together - either the chest armor, though feature-accurate, is warped, and the helmet either sinks into the neckline, or the bust as a whole looks like it's shrugging not knowing how to answer the Emperor. Some costumers look great from the front - but from the side, they look like they're slouching or the Hunchback from Notre Dame.

My approach to creating this symbiosis between helmet and armor to recreate the look of Prowse within wearing the armor, so that the side profile and posture look realistic enough to bring out the presence and character of Vader. Ideally someone aspiring to costume as Vader would have the right height and build, as someone short, stocky or portly... well, my skill has my limits. :)

Quasimodo-V2-ESB-Darth-Vader-Shop-Shot_zpsz0qjxsnh.jpg

Some of the is dated because it was the description of the V1. We are now in the V2 which was far more accurate and handsome than the V1 ANH. At the time of the V1, there were no ESB or ROTJs. The pictures you see in Post #1 are all V2, so just go by the pictures. :thumbsup

The V2 mask was really fun to do because a lot got sculpted over yet again, and it's a touch wider than the eFX. The V2 mask is the basis for my ESB and ROTJ, and anything based on this sculpt is considered a V2.

The V2 ANH dome isn't terribly different than the V1 ANH dome, but the proportions are far more handsome. However, rather than simply convert the V2 ANH into ESB, I actually resculpted my V1 ANH. I felt I had to do this, both from an artist's standpoint and from a structural standpoint. ANH and ESB give off different silhouettes and it was important for me to recreate the overall shape and proportions as I saw them in screenshots. My Quasimodo ROTJ dome sculpt is based on the ESB dome sculpt, but it has quite a variety of modifications. I didn't want to do a generic modification and then just slap the acronym "ROTJ" on it. It had to radiate both the prop look as well as the on-screen character. And if I did a half-assed approach, then people who like my work would be let down - and I can't let that happen.

ANH and ESB... (ROTJ is coming soon):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...imodo-V2-ANH-and-ESB-Brothers_zpsxp5bwonp.jpg

Now, on top of all this, Bookface has purchased a spray gun, and we'll see improvements with his already-excellent paint finish with rattle cans and hand polishing. I imagine we'll have a new set of photos, so I'm looking forward to those.

He may not have returned everyone's emails because he's quite fond of finally finishing his move into new shop space and installing a paint booth and fiberglassing/sanding booth, so please pardon his feeling like a kid in a candy store with his new shop space (I'm so jealous... I just have a kitchen counter and sink).

Also, we didn't really didn't emphasize that the helmets are made to function harmoniously with my Structurally Matching Armor.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...ce-armor-for-quasimodo-v2-anh_zpsd89af38b.jpg

For years we've been entreated with helmets where the mask, dome and armor may be entirely different sources, and even though they are painted with very fine automotive finishes, they don't function well together - either the chest armor, though feature-accurate, is warped, and the helmet either sinks into the neckline, or the bust as a whole looks like it's shrugging not knowing how to answer the Emperor. Some costumers look great from the front - but from the side, they look like they're slouching or the Hunchback from Notre Dame.

My approach to creating this symbiosis between helmet and armor to recreate the look of Prowse within wearing the armor, so that the side profile and posture look realistic enough to bring out the presence and character of Vader. Ideally someone aspiring to costume as Vader would have the right height and build, as someone short, stocky or portly... well, my skill has my limits. :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...-V2-ESB-Darth-Vader-Shop-Shot_zpsz0qjxsnh.jpg
Do we know when Paul will have his Spray gun up and running? If this is gonna yield even better results than what we have now all I can say is "Wow". Should I hold off until this is setup? Damn you Quasimodo for being too good! :)

Do we know when Paul will have his Spray gun up and running? If this is gonna yield even better results than what we have now all I can say is "Wow". Should I hold off until this is setup? Damn you Quasimodo for being too good! :)

I've seen him use them on a Quasi mask and was very pleasantly surprised with the results. He's started spraying some domes as well. I'll know more in the very near future.

ok so after reading many pages regarding this helmet my question is how accurate are they?

I did see on page one that accuracy was aimed on the ANH version but is it the same for ESB? and same question on accuracy goes for the armor?

I would really love to pull the trigger on both helmet and armor but just want to know prior to moving forward.
If I could just chime in here. I have been lucky enough to see these bad boys in person and the best thing I can tell you is that if you think the pictures are good then wait until you see them in person! I am in no way affiliated with this setup, but as I live near Paul have been lucky enough to visit His workshop on a couple of occasions now. The last visit I took my EFX and we put them side by side with the quasi's and the difference in look and feel was astonishing to say the least. Now don't get me wrong, the EFX is a fabulous Helmet, but it does not have that just walked off screen look. The Quasi's have that look. It's hard to describe until you see them in person. I am like most people on this thread in that I have constantly been looking for the ultimate Vader Helmet over the years and really thought that search was over with the EFX, but as is the case with Vader something comes along again to shake that up and that is the Quasimodo! Hope I have helped in you making your decision. Best regards, Kris.

Will the ROTJ Quasimodo Dome be super shiny, or dull finish :confused
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

The one on the left is the ROTJ Stunt helmet, and it was, for whatever the reason, more dull and had a thick bottom lip, cheek and neck cutouts for perspex lenses. I'm not really basing Quasi ROTJ off the dull Stunt look.

Amen. I would have cried. The dome is pretty dull in the Luke/Vader Endor talk but I want mine nice and shiny Vader arrives at the death star scene style.

Tom

How long is the wait if I pay today?

Currently, at this specific point of time, 12 weeks, as these are made to order, and now will benefit from Paul's spray gun, which is making the paint look gorgeous as he's testing it out on some practice domes. We've recently put some strategies in place to reduce his turnaround time, as demand made the wait grow to 6 months, so I'm really excited we've reduced it by more than a half. Do note these are not mass production products but individual pieces we consider to be art so we have a lot of painstaking detail and pride that goes into a helmet.

Estimated hello, I'm a collector of helmets star wars, I love good props and long have sought one so great as this ANH and ESB quasimodo V2 that you made, I would love to have in my collection for the rest of my life, I would be very honored that I could sell one, I have not bought one before because ebay only sell copies and that bothers me, I think in this forum I can find people who really love star wars like me and do not seek to profit from this, here in my country nor I could get a helmet Vader as good as yours, so I used this forum to help me get one. I am from Chile and I hope I can buy ANH Vader helmet or quasimodo ESB V2, would be eternally grateful and happy to have him in my beloved collection, greetings and thank you very much for everything.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back