Quartz-like effect in resin?

RelicMaker

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,
I need resin experts to help me out with something.
How do you get a quartz-like effect in resin?

Such as this for example:

[attachmentid=7859]

I actually bought a quartz ball, just about correct size, and used the amber glass tint for mine, then painted all the dots on it, not as accurate as I wanted, but does the job :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allosaur176 @ May 1 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]1236368[/snapback]</div>
I actually bought a quartz ball, just about correct size, and used the amber glass tint for mine, then painted all the dots on it, not as accurate as I wanted, but does the job :)
[/b]

I thought about doing that, but I was wanting to do the Pandora's Box as well, which was made using the same resin effect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LeMarchand @ May 1 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1236459[/snapback]</div>
that quartz ball must have been expensive :) what diameter should be used?

Cheers,

marc
[/b]

I won it from a seller over in singapore I believe, I paid around $110 total with shipping

I would guess you could get a similar look by making a cast, smashing it with a hammer, puting most of the pieces back in the mold and adding more resin. If you wanted the multiple shades embedded in the piece, make a few different casts with various degrees of tinting and combine the pieces for the final cast.

man... a pandoras box is gonna be hellaspensive for the resin going into it.

best ideas i have (and i have made a quartzy effect, by accident :lol) is going to be several layers of clear resin, sand with 300 or 600 grit in a direction, then pour and let cure. add more clear and sand again in the same direction, and repeat.

itll be hell to do, but thats about all i can imagine.

sometimes... SOMETIMES you can cause resin or plexi to have a faulty reaction to superglue kicker. itll crack/crackle. might be worth giving that a shot then doing multiple layers.

best options i can think of for it... plexiglass. itll be thick, and a royal @#$%. pain to do, but varying sheets of 1/8" to 1/16" alternating the sanding, then glueing together.

theres a few ways to do it, but they are all PITAs. guess thats why prop guys make the big bucks :)

beautiful sphere though.
chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back