QMx Robatto Sonic now ready for ordering

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by LeAngeSolitaire, Jan 16, 2012.

1. LeAngeSolitaire

LeAngeSolitaire Well-Known Member

2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man I wish! I have better chances of the Tardis crashing through my living room than obtaining one of these!

3. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

I wish. Perhaps if Nick decides to sell his 'factory seconds' to the RPF as a steep discount I could afford his work, but not one of these. :lol

4. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had actually seriously considered getting a new credit card just for this purchase, but seeing as how I did the same thing for the Nike Mags, it would be an irresponsible move no matter how special and rare the item is.
    The difference between the Nike shoes and the sonic is that I had obsessed over the Nike shoes for many many years and was more deserving of a credit purchase.
    I am going to be patient and see what Qmx has in store for their limited edition release.

5. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't convince my wife to let me buy one of CTs sonics let alone this bad boy. Would LOVE to get one though, it's beautiful.

6. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

Can you imagine what the tax and duty will be on that to the UK! OUCH.

i've just had to pay £60.79 on a $390 order for herpetological equipment from the US, so God knows what that will be.

7. bsgcollecting

bsgcollecting New Member

Awesome item, little too steep for me. Sadly.

8. phez

phez Sr Member

I am scraping together the money hoping they don't sell out before got it all :lol.

9. QMx GGD

QMx GGD Member

I should mention, we have eLayaway ;-)

10. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Yikes. Pretty base and setup, but I'll have to pass.

11. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

So when can we expect the other replica from QMx?

12. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

That is the same question I was going to ask.

13. QMx GGD

QMx GGD Member

No info on the regular Artisan version. As soon as we have details, we'll post.

Since Nick was kind enough to give us his time, we wanted to get the ordering info up for the Master Series.

We're just taking the time we need to make sure we're able to produce the best replica possible ;-)

14. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Good to know, but when the item costs as much as a used CAR that's several years old, most of us can't justify the purchase. :(

The price that MFX Warehouse charged for THEIR replica of 10's Sonic Screwdriver is about the most that many of us could justify spending... and that was about 1/10th of what you're asking for the Master Series Sonic. :unsure

15. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To be fair though, this it made by the guy himself. Too rich for me (re: most of us) but a little more understandable in that regard.

layaway is a bad idea unless you're SURE you can do it. Guaranteed that someone will do that and in 5 months we'll see it in the JY because they can't make payments.

16. VortexRunner

VortexRunner Active Member

Given the nature of the replica actually being handmade and spot-on to the real prop by the actual prop maker, I can understand the price.

But when it costs the same as a used car like JTC said, It isn't worth it.

Why is it taking longer for the regular artisan sonic to come out?

It should be a priority to supply to the mass!!!:behave

17. QMx GGD

QMx GGD Member

This version's being made by the prop maker, who offered and we took him up on it. They're different items altogether and there's a different process that goes into them.

Ultimately, Nick offered his time to make this run, so we offered the Master Series Artisan first.

And, to be fair, we know it's expensive. But this isn't the only 11th Sonic we'll make. It's just the first one. ;-)

Heck, if I had to choose between a car and a sonic, I'd buy the car. But if I had the money, I'd buy one. One of 25 in the world is tempting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  18. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, QMx, I'll gladly work as your in-house court jester to get one of these. Deal? :lol

This really is gorgeous, and I'm glad to see Robatto making a run, albeit, a small one of EXACT replicas.

If I had the spare cash right now, I'd be all over this. Sadly, my rent ensures that I don't have the spare cash.

Whoever does end up buying these will be extremely lucky!

-Nick

19. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Chill dude. The cost may be worth it to some if you think about it. How much would folks fork over for a screen used piece? Probably a lot more. Well this is the next best thing! So the price may seem high but to others having the opportunity to own a authentic sonic built by the original builder, well that could be considered priceless. I can see why QMX would put this sonic out above others having the original builder offer his services!

I appreciate all the work QMX is putting into the sonic screwdriver builds and will happily wait till they feel they have made the best product to offer us.

20. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

That is the best looking Sonic I have ever seen!

21. GeneralFROSTY

How does that work?
    Do I need to donate blood again?

22. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

If I were single, I would have already ordered one! :unsure

23. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

Place the order, and you will be. :lol :rolleyes+

I wonder if you could get the sonic insured for damage. :confused

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  24. GeneralFROSTY

:lol
    It's pretty much a conclusion that you have to be a collector who has a job that pays enough to justify a 4k collectible purchase.
    To many, 4k is a used car or a partial down payment on a house.
    Sadly, this item is more tailored for the wealthy collector - or the obsessed.
    Im looking forward to seeing what Qmx can do with their limited edition replica.

25. Rassilon

I will be making an order, as soon as I pay the following bills :cry

Electricity, Car Rego, Plant & equipment running costs
    Gas, house Insurance, service on the work car
    Phone, counsel rates, Buiness Taxes
    Business loan, Food, personal Taxes
    House repayments, water rate, Car fuel
    Bank fees, wages, Beer

:confused

26. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Hmmm, a two for one deal! Tempting! :lol

Rassilon1
    Place the order, and you will be.

NakedMoleRat
    If I were single, I would have already ordered one! :unsure

27. GeneralFROSTY

Aint that the truth!
    Lets hope Qmx can come through with a $500 version...(or less!)

28. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  29. jedibugs

jedibugs Well-Known Member

I have to be honest; I think it's worth the scratch, if you have it to spare. Limited to 25, made by the actual prop-maker by hand? Yeah, people have paid $4k for much less.
    But I am certainly not one of those people with that kind of money to spare. I also like to play with my toys and one as fragile as the one used on-set will not do for me. But that still doesn't mean that it's "not worth it." Because it's just not an unreasonable price for the scarcity and pedigree.
    I do find the used car comparison hilarious because it's almost exactly what I paid for my 2003 Prius a little over a year ago.

30. GeneralFROSTY

No doubt.
    Anyone who has been in this hobby long enough to appreciate the value of props should know that having one hand-made by the actual prop maker is the finest you can get without having obtained on used on set. It's not a 'replica' by any means - it's just THE prop.

31. VortexRunner

VortexRunner Active Member

Hey, even I was considering buying this. Yes it is made by Nick Robatto himself and I would love to own that! A sobering and quite happy thought of mine is that I can still own something made by him through the watches he recently produced. How much will the standard range be? $600?
    I’m sticking with ‘you know who’ on this one. At least he actually posts pics of work in progress and keeps his customers regularly updated.
    If anyone wants to get this, so be it. Lucky Sods whoever you are :lol

32. backof

backof New Member

I ordered two. One to display and one to play with.

unfortunately I woke up before I could enjoy them! :unsure

33. GeneralFROSTY

Are there ANY members here that are confirmed buyers of this - or actually plan on getting one?

34. phez

phez Sr Member

I am working on it :lol:lol.

35. Ull Dar Borealis

Ull Dar Borealis Well-Known Member

well if i win our lottery on fri 30 mill will pick up a couple or more:lol

all kidding aside if I have the money I would but I don't

36. Rassilon

I am seriously thinking about it, it would be nice to have something in my Dr who collection that I did not make and was made by the original craftsman :confused.

40% sure 60% unsure to still have some way to go on this.

37. LeAngeSolitaire

LeAngeSolitaire Well-Known Member

4 days on and they still haven't sold out. I'm honestly surprised they didn't go within the first hour but then again, how many fans are there out there with that kind of a disposable income?

38. phez

phez Sr Member

I got an email, I missed it. They sold out on the second day :cry.

39. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good for them. I'm glad this was a successful venture for QMX and Nick

40. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Since this is, for all intents and purposes, THE REAL McCOY, made by Nick Robatto himself, it brings up an interesting dilemma for the 25 people that were actually able to afford it: How much will they actually be able to handle it, and play with it, enjoying it as a PROP REPLICA, before it BREAKS! :confused

From reading recent topics on a certain blog that many of us know about, it is known that the hero filming props are RIDICULOUSLY fragile, to the point that merely operating the prop AS INTENDED will cause it to break in a fairly short period of time! :confused

As such, those that have chosen to make replicas of the prop (such as Character Options and other licensees, and even the makers of "fan-made" replicas) have had to look at the design with an eye toward improving its durability without fundamentally changing the design of the prop in a way that would be immediately apparent and thus upsetting to fans.

Maybe our friendly QMX spokeswoman could give us some info on what they're doing in that regard for the larger release, when such info becomes available to her? ;)

41. phez

phez Sr Member

Agreead :). I wish Nick and QMX all success.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration :lol. I don't care what the rumors are. The theory that a pro prop maker makes a prop that is used during virtually every shot that falls compleatly apart on normal use (and has had two seasons to improve the design) is completely ridiculous. Can you drop and beat the living crap out of it, no. But who do you know that would keep there job if they had to stop during every two shots because the prop falls apart? Think about it for a few seconds, does that make sense?

It is a shaft with a sliding tube around it. I think it is a solvable problem. :lol

Makes a fun story, but not a realistic one. Might help to explain why a design that makes the prop cheaper to manufacture does not match the way the original was built though .

42. jedibugs

It's not a rumor, man. The second or third photo I ever saw of this prop was of it broken! I believe it was on the beach at the crash of the Byzantium. Matt Smith is laughing while a prop wrangler holds half the sonic and attempts to fix it. Not to mention, there's a reason they keep a case with 4 of them on-set.
    I also think we've discussed the fragile nature of the prop long before anyone said anything about it on any contentious blogs.
    And none of that takes away from the beauty and excellent craftsmanship of the original piece or of the QMx/Robatto run.

43. phez

phez Sr Member

That means we know it broke once. I am guessing that if that happened a bunch that the problem would have been worked on at some point between now and Season 1 (since it is a recurring prop). It looks in that broken Sonic photo like the front stop just came off. Would that be impossible to reenforce for some reason?

44. jedibugs

Edited my last post, as it sent prematurely.

45. phez

phez Sr Member

I was thinking that there was an initial design problem (because of the deadline of the first series) but that some fixes had been made to address that issue.

I think only two of those are hero's though. Aren't the other two static (sort of stunt) locked closed versions?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  46. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

While baby-sitting my TARDIS, I was with Nick in the QMX booth all during Comiccon when Smith's sonic was handled by countless numbers of people, sometimes very differently than it was designed to be and it never failed. Generally, people were encouraged to be careful, but many weren't and some were told to not be too careful or it might not fully deploy (the reason for handling it quickly). I think the main worry was that it would slip out of their hands and it's not designed for that particular stunt.

The sonic definitely didn't appear to be vulnerable to falling apart unless it was mishandled. Even on the show. Smith definitely puts it to the test nearly episode. It's not hard to image he slips from time to time, or just plain wears it out.

As I recall, the main change that would have been necessary is the way the battery connected, which wasn't user friendly.

Considering Nick's demonstrated skill I saw, the design probably doesn't have much, if any, room for improvement, while still working as needed for the show.

And, I wish I could have afforded one.

I'll need to be happy with my wrist thingy he made...

BTW, I have some detailed photos I took of the sonics he had there. I'm just now reminded I should post them.

47. phez

phez Sr Member

That is sort of what I was thinking. It could be changed to make it cheaper to make but I figured it would have been very well made.

Please do, I would love to see them. :)

48. Rassilon

You certainly would not do a seen, with only one prop on the set, and with no means of any repairs, should that prop get damaged during filming.

I was only the other day watching a youtube video with matt Smith, and he was demonstrating how to open the sonic, well, from what I was watching he gave the sonic one hell of a flick opening the Sonic.

Matt looks to be a very hard user of that sonic, so I suspect that any new design will under go evolution. All the sonic have.

“So” get over it, this particular sonic was not intended for the fan to take with him on trips to the supermarket. If you were looking for that sort of sonic, then this is not the sonic for you, it is what it is, a prop made by the same person that made the same one used on the show, and not a toy to be used like one.

49. QMx GGD

QMx GGD Member

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure anyone who buys this version would be waving it around the way Matt Smith does. Personally, I can't imagine someone buying something that limited and handling it too much.

However, every Artisan product QMx sells is covered by a lifetime warranty.

Not to worry. Part of the reason we want to take our time is because, as the licensee, we have a responsibility to the fans and to the BBC to get it right.

I'll never have specific details. That's just not something we give out. But we're aware of the questions around the subject ;-)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  50. QMx GGD

QMx GGD Member

Speaking of which, Philip, can you come out and help us build it for the office? I want it up and running already. And I have to get my wrist thingy from Nick, dangburnit! ;-(

Miss you ;*