Qcvader's Custom Pred Wip

QCVader

Hello fellow preds!

Last September, I started constructing my predator costume. It's certainly been a slow process. I've gained a lot of advice and construction tips from the forum. I've learned a lot!

I wanted to share my progress with the forum to encourage those with similar circumstances that constructing a pred costume can be accomplished wiith some time and creativity!

I don't have a huge budget, so I'm trying to construct the suit with the least amount of money possible. That said, I also want my suit to be as high quality and detailed as I can get within my resources.

MASK: I started with a rubies mask and followed the rubies mod threads. I used backer rods for dreads and coated them in plasti dip. The dread rings are made from PVC pipe and cut to resemble bone. For adornments, I added small strips of leather and beads and attached them randomly to some of the dreads.

BIO: I purchased a P1 bio from PTGreek (one helluva guy by the way...). I then follwed the bio painting tutorial. I choose a copper/bronze color. I wanted something different then the standard silver. I also added some corrosion to the bio using a pumice artist gel to add texture in some spots. When dried, I added some dark greens to resemble copper corrosion.
I really like the look and feel of the elder pred bio, so I took some liberties to pattern the bio after that. I also added tri-lazers, reflective lenses, and some elder adornments.

Here's pics of the final product:

IMG_20120625_175705.jpg

IMG_20120625_175722.jpg

IMG_20120625_175736.jpg

IMG_20120625_175750.jpg

IMG_20120625_175802.jpg

The gauntlets were next....

I constructed both gauntlets from sintra and foamies. The blades are wood.

I wanted retractable blades and , what I thought was a good idea, but it turned out to be too heavy, so I scrapped it. Now the blades are stationary.

Painted them both in the cooper/bronze scheme. I also added some pumice gel, battle damage and corrosion.

I patterned them after P1, but again took some artistic liberties...

IMG_20120625_180455.jpg

IMG_20120625_180515.jpg

IMG_20120625_180532.jpg

IMG_20120625_180607.jpg

The Back Pack & Shoulder Cannon...

This took me two weeks to complete...

Again, made from sintra foam, foamies, pink isulation foam (the hard stuff), PVC pipe, wood, Kinex pieces, milk bottle caps, and a curved electrical 2" tube.

I traced a alien hyroglyphic(?) out of foamies and added it on the side of the cannon. Not the best, but do-able.

I also purchased a Hyperdyne predator sound board. The board came with a cannon LED, so I installed it inside my cannon. The soundboard, speaker, and wiring will be hid inside the backpack.

Now I have to figure out the best way to attach it via a harness system...

IMG_20120625_180113.jpg

IMG_20120625_180148.jpg

IMG_20120625_180206.jpg

IMG_20120625_180231.jpg

UPDATE: 7/9/12:

I've got a lot accomplished since my last post...

The first major renovation is the color. I've changed the color from bronze/cooper to a dark silver metal. I recently tested Rustoleum's "Midnight Black Metallic" as a base coat on an armor piece and I really loved the way it looked, so I re-painted my entire armor. I now use a 4-step painting process:

1. Plasti-dip
2. Midnight Black Metallic
3. Gunmetal acryllic (randomly dab on with sponge and cover about 80% of the piece being painted. I want the dark metallic to show through a portion of the armor)
4. Testors "alluminum" color model paint. I use this sparingly. I apply with small sponge in random areas. Immediately I gently wipe the area in different directions to give the piece that worn metal look.

CHEST ARMOR:

I love the look of the AVP chest. There's something majestic and manacing about it.

I used Vinman's AVP chest armor templates (thanks Vinman!). I enlarged each piece to 200% on a copier. This seemed to be a good size for me. I used sintra for the 4 - main front pieces (Left front, Right front, Left back, Right back) and the 2 main pieces for the right and left chest. I added a few spots of pumice gel for texture/depth/damage/wear, 4-collar pieces, greeblies, the 4-step painting process and viola! I had to reshape the heck out of it with my heat gun. I still can't get the front and back pieces to line up correctly at the shoulders and sides, so I had to improvise. (Building point: reinforce the underside of the shoulder area to prevent breakage)

I used foamies for the rest of the chest armor.

I attached the shoulder bells with 2" black nylon webbing.

GROIN:

I used Vinman's templates. Again, enlarged each piece at 200% on a copier. All material is craft foam except the very top piece which is sintra covered in brown fabric. Used the 4 step painting process for the rest of the armor.

BIO HOSES:

I was in Ace hardware the other day and while looking around, I found an inexpensive option for bio hoses - windshield wiper tubing! A yard cost me about $3.00. I applied a coat of plasti-dip and silver paint. I wanted my hoses to be removable, so I intalled small powerfull magnets (purchased from Home Depot) and attached on at the end of each hose AND on the INSIDE of my bio hose attachment. They hold great!

Yesterday while at a flea market I found and purchased a male torso manniquin for $10.00! I now have all my completed armor pieces displayed on the manniquin. What a cool find!

Next up is bicep, thigh and shin armor....

Now, onto the pics!

IMG_20120708_174012.jpg

IMG_20120708_152941.jpg

IMG_20120708_143935.jpg

IMG_20120708_143859.jpg

IMG_20120708_144002.jpg

This is a truly fantastic thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading it whilst having breakfast this morning . You have taken your time and produced an amazing pred. I liked the information you gave on weathering as I am at this stage and was struggling to wrap my mind round the concept. Like you I may consider a re-paint. Well done you have energised me this morning.

Seeing this armor in person on Saturday, just a fantastic job with the Foamies! WOW! I respect your art skills, sir.

Thanks Andrew! I take your compliment to heart, as you are a seasoned predator costumer extrordinare! It was really great to meet you on Saturday too! I look forward to hunting with you soon!

This is a truly fantastic thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading it whilst having breakfast this morning . You have taken your time and produced an amazing pred. I liked the information you gave on weathering as I am at this stage and was struggling to wrap my mind round the concept. Like you I may consider a re-paint. Well done you have energised me this morning.

Glad I could help you my friend! If you need any help don't hesitate to PM me....

This is a great build! Can you tell me what size backer rods you used for your Rubies? I used 5/8" but I think I am becoming more partial to the thicker look that you have here.

I used one inch for most of the mask. I used 3/4 for the front sides. I think they came out nice and full! Let me know if I can assist further. ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back