Pyro X-Wing Paint Colours Question

wizardofthenorth

I am inquiring if anything is known about how the pyro x-wings were painted.

By pyro, I mean pyro pyro's. Not the pyro's as heroes (red 6, 12, etc).

Were they painted in the same method as heroes (black primer..white...rubbed down, etc).

Or perhaps they were just done quicker with some form of appropriate off the shelf paint off-white....red stripes..minimal weathering.

Close-up shots of pieces I have seen seem to suggest a quick splattering of black overall. Basically paint-on vs layerings, chipping, etc.

Possibly differences as well for pyros rushed into production during the last days of shooting, vs earlier when the pyros certainly seemed to get much more care.

My apologies for re-usings anyones pics..most obtained here on RPF, and I didn't track the original thread's I got them from.
Let me know if I need to take any down.

Attachments

• IMG_5366_ScreenUsedWing.jpg
    IMG_5366_ScreenUsedWing.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 216
Sorry for not yet responding to your PM. The droid strips will finally be available soon.

I can't speak to the exact colors but we do know they used railroad colors from Floquil. I think the consensus is Caboose Red for the stripes.

Hello Wizard:

I believe the second picture is not a Pyro, but rather an "Icons" model displayed at a Planet Hollywood restaurant. I've seen that one myself . . .

The middle one isn't an icons. It's derived from the same original "eaves" pyro that ours is. See the oversize canopy over the solid fuse?

The middle one isn't an icons. It's derived from the same original "eaves" pyro that ours is. See the oversize canopy over the solid fuse?
Thanks for the info. JediMaster. I was not familiar with the oversize canopy - I thought it was the nose that was shorter. I'm no expert on the Icons models at all, but someone here on the RPF once wrote that the uncut Airfix Hurricane Part (next to the droid) was an Icons "tell", and I also heard that they had shorter noses, that's why I thought it was an Icons. There are still two of them at Planet Hollywood, one with the wings folded and one in attack position, but now damaged. The damaged one has three wing stripes, the other has four . . .

Last edited:
Yeah the eaves/frank pyro with the original droid strip is the same with the untrimmed part. Also the droid is an ILM cast and if you look at the canopy. 1. The back window is filled and 2. Note on the roof of the Canopy there is a little square on the starboard side. The icons if i'm not mistaken has the full scribelines and more detailed droid. I have another shot of one of these either at PH or Disney hanging from a wire wrapped around the fuse.

I have to post some pics...but looking nose on (on Frank's pyro), there seems to be a slight twist in the fuselage from the nose to say the cockpit.

Both the hollow and solid have it. Anyone else noticed this?

I have another shot of one of these either at PH or Disney hanging from a wire wrapped around the fuse.
Yes, that one is reported to be in a souvenir store in Downtown Disney in FL (formerly known as the Disney Village). It has a minimal paint job, just a red stripe on the fuselage if I recall, and no wing markings. There were some folks (myself included) wondering about the lineage of that one. So many variants and castings out there! So what should we call these? "2nd generation Pyro Castings?" And who made them? Hollywood insiders?

You could call them that.:lol If ya know of Grant Mcune (Rip) and John eaves then theres half the story. Frank could tell ya all about it. Dave G has a different casting but they all
Come from the same place.

1. The back window is filled and 2. Note on the roof of the Canopy there is a little square on the starboard side.

Suspect that canopy was a pieced-together bitzer. Half of one glued to half of another, trimmed differently, possibly. Or just weird-arse repairs.

I have to post some pics...but looking nose on (on Frank's pyro), there seems to be a slight twist in the fuselage from the nose to say the cockpit.

As Simon said, it's correct. It's one of the more infallible methods to spot something with lineage to an original, really.

but they all come from the same place.

Yeah, proven via the ever-decreasing moulded-in paint chipping in each generation. Would be nice to have genuinely zero-shrink pulls from the moulds Beaz's piece came from!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back