putting off my falcon even longer......1/72 tie fighter

astroboy

Master Member
Wow...I REALLY don't enjoy wiring. As my FM falcon sits there under a pile of wire and LEDs, I decided to pull out my TIE fighter.

Quick build. Looks great. You can tell that it's one of the early FM efforts. It doesn't dry fit quite as nicely as later things...but it's still easy.

The one criticism (And I felt this on my 1/144 falcon) is that they really need to make the glass pieces in two parts. One for the glass, the other for the solid ribbing of the window frame. Masking it really doesn't cut it.

So the question is....do I attempt to cut out the glass portions of the window? the risk may be too high. Or do I watch some youtube vids on making resin casts? Anyone know of a great primer on that?

Nothin' like a good ol' styrene TIE to just get something built up without a lot of hassles.

IMG_9346.jpg

very nice work.
what shade grey blue did you wind up going with? is this Tamiya haze grey?

I often mix my own. I think it was white, a touch of german grey and a splash of some blue. I prefer the grey look but couldn't resist a hint of the blue.

Incidentally, I'm now working on the landing platform. I'm modifying the stock FM platform and turning it into a bit of a diorama. Added greeblies and a couple of stormtroopers on top of a hunk of shaped MDF.

Currently I think it's going to be landed on tatooine because I think the desert would be easiest, but we'll see how ambitious I get

astroboy, I think I can help with your Falcon if you were interested in a IR remote switch scheme... CLICK HERE
it eliminates a large percent of the wiring. I have to wait out the probation period set by the forum rules, so no rush...No worries if it isnt your cup of tea, just ignore.

I feel your pain about the canopy masks FM included in their kit. When I did my FM tie years ago, I applied the masks over Tamiya tape and used them as templates to cut out. It was time consuming, but it worked. One of the reasons I did it that way is I heard a horror story that somebody who used just the FM masks soaked them and paint bled through them since the paper stock wasn't moisture proof (Tamiya tape on the otherhand is). But we didn't have the pre-cut canopy masks either.

I personally prefer the AMT/Ertl 1/48 TIE kits precisely because they have a separate frame from the glass. So one can paint VERY quickly. Of course, the kit also has the one piece wings compared to FM splitting the black solar collectors from the gray frames. So it is like you are trading one problem for another. But, doing the TIE wings completely in black and then masking off the solar collector areas to spray on the gray achieves a nice look anyway, thanks to the black on the frames acting like a pre-shade (and the greeblie details really pop, like they have a wash on them almost).

some close ups of the base before I get to the finished product.

not too sure about the terrain. I think I should have done it with durabond..

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back