putting off my falcon even longer......1/72 tie fighter

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by astroboy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow...I REALLY don't enjoy wiring. As my FM falcon sits there under a pile of wire and LEDs, I decided to pull out my TIE fighter.

Quick build. Looks great. You can tell that it's one of the early FM efforts. It doesn't dry fit quite as nicely as later things...but it's still easy.

The one criticism (And I felt this on my 1/144 falcon) is that they really need to make the glass pieces in two parts. One for the glass, the other for the solid ribbing of the window frame. Masking it really doesn't cut it.

So the question is....do I attempt to cut out the glass portions of the window? the risk may be too high. Or do I watch some youtube vids on making resin casts? Anyone know of a great primer on that?

2. jah5150

jah5150 Well-Known Member

3. astroboy

crap...how did I miss that?

4. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nothin' like a good ol' styrene TIE to just get something built up without a lot of hassles.

[​IMG]

5. Zac

Zac New Member

6. astroboy

7. Dewka

Dewka New Member

very nice work.
    what shade grey blue did you wind up going with? is this Tamiya haze grey?

8. CessnaDriver

Yeah, I think it's the best solution short of mixing your own if your going for the ESB look. Plus it's in rattle can.

9. astroboy

I often mix my own. I think it was white, a touch of german grey and a splash of some blue. I prefer the grey look but couldn't resist a hint of the blue.

Incidentally, I'm now working on the landing platform. I'm modifying the stock FM platform and turning it into a bit of a diorama. Added greeblies and a couple of stormtroopers on top of a hunk of shaped MDF.

Currently I think it's going to be landed on tatooine because I think the desert would be easiest, but we'll see how ambitious I get

10. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Yeah are those for sale anywhere? I've got two TIEs put away, plus I will need an Interceptor.

11. astroboy

12. astroboy

so now we're working on a tatooine landing station!

13. astroboy

one more

still lots to do on this!

14. vixr

vixr Active Member

astroboy, I think I can help with your Falcon if you were interested in a IR remote switch scheme... CLICK HERE
    it eliminates a large percent of the wiring. I have to wait out the probation period set by the forum rules, so no rush...No worries if it isnt your cup of tea, just ignore.

15. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I feel your pain about the canopy masks FM included in their kit. When I did my FM tie years ago, I applied the masks over Tamiya tape and used them as templates to cut out. It was time consuming, but it worked. One of the reasons I did it that way is I heard a horror story that somebody who used just the FM masks soaked them and paint bled through them since the paper stock wasn't moisture proof (Tamiya tape on the otherhand is). But we didn't have the pre-cut canopy masks either.

I personally prefer the AMT/Ertl 1/48 TIE kits precisely because they have a separate frame from the glass. So one can paint VERY quickly. Of course, the kit also has the one piece wings compared to FM splitting the black solar collectors from the gray frames. So it is like you are trading one problem for another. But, doing the TIE wings completely in black and then masking off the solar collector areas to spray on the gray achieves a nice look anyway, thanks to the black on the frames acting like a pre-shade (and the greeblie details really pop, like they have a wash on them almost).

16. Keiko

Keiko Sr Member

I like that landing station - ingenious way to use the kit stand but make it so much more.

17. astroboy

I also realized how awesome MDF is for shaping. I can't wait to start sanding the desert down for a more scaled look

18. astroboy

couple more...with tie

19. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

I'll second that comment. Really cool way to use the stand & nice work.

20. astroboy

some close ups of the base before I get to the finished product.

not too sure about the terrain. I think I should have done it with durabond..

21. SirNedKingsly

SirNedKingsly Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So stupid question - but how does the pilot get in???

22. CessnaDriver

I think through the top hatch/window.

23. astroboy

you can't see it very well but there's an elevator pad on the floor. Maybe I should fabricate it in an up position.....

24. Alaneye

Alaneye Well-Known Member

The landing station looks really good. Great works there!

25. SirNedKingsly

Is it that round circle thing towards the rear of the craft?

Now it makes sense - lol - it is a beautiful build but I was wondering if the Empire had started training their pilots in rope work just so they could GET to the flying bits - lol

Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

26. astroboy

Thanks.

I still haven't finished this. I need to do a railing around the circle pad for more clarification. Maybe a contril panel too.

But I have a 15 month old kid now...so everything is on the backburner

27. Rats

Rats Sr Member

I used the FM masks for mine and when I pulled them off, hours before a model comp., the paint had bled everywhere and the glass was all fogged up with a mixture of paint and mask glue and looked horrible! Needless to say, I didn't place :angry.

After I got it home, I scribed the edges of the glass, cut it all out and sanded the edges and now have a more 'studio' version with no glass, just frame. Looks good and wasn't too difficult. The 'frame' is strong enough to stand a bit of force.

I say go for it! BTW, Love your base idea. :thumbsup :thumbsup

28. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

That depends on which reference you read and what mood LFL is in. Naturally the TIE has hatch like sections all over the ball because they also serve as detachable covers for the animation rods. In the early days, somebody postulated that the rear hatch with the window was the main entry hatch for standard TIEs and the top hatch could also be used. So the Kenner toy used a top hatch while the MPC TIE Interceptor kit used a back hatch. Vader's TIE of course didn't have a back hatch, although the full size cockpit set did (as you can briefly see an exterior scene behind his head in ANH at one point). That seemed to work fine for TIEs up through the 1990s as even the cut scenes for TIE launches in the LucasArts game TIE Fighter showed the craft stored on hangar bays with a large grab claw from behind and hinted that pilots would climb into the rear hatch from an access port in the arm itself.

That seemed to suit things fine until about 1994-95 when somebody came up with this bright idea that the rear "hatch" was a "solar ionization reactor" and not a hatch (and the rear window conveniently got deleted). AMT/Ertl's TIE Fighter kit blanked the window and added a couple tiny toothpaste tube cap shaped nozzles in that area (which Revell also represented on their pocket sized TIE Interceptor). FineMolds didn't, but they didn't put a clear window in either (same for the big Revell TIE). So at that point, all references began to consistantly show that the only entry hatch was the top one.

29. SirNedKingsly

While I appreciate the "history" lesson :p (an maybe this was my fault for being ambiguous) but I was referring to how would the pilot get from the ground to the fighter - not how he would get into the fighter. :p

Any self-respecting kid can tell you how one enters a TIE fighter - lol

The builder answered my question an the circle bit I was talking about is the lift he made for the pilot. :D

That info is pretty interesting tho - didn't know all that - I always assumed that the only way in was at the top.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

30. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

LOL, no problem. Of course, if the Empire wouldn't have ended up purging all the force sentients in the galaxy, they could have taught their TIE pilots how to do a Force leap from the ground into the cockpit (and back out). :D

31. Badgat

Badgat New Member

A steady hand, a little bit of 3M masking tape, a few sharp razors, a small brush and a lot of patience. If it doesn't come out right, just paint the inside of the canopy black and from 3 ft. away, no one will notice.