Pulse rifle build

samster27

PR Build

I know its been 25 years since the movie, but I am finally building a PR and case.

PR1.jpg

P2030036.jpg

The shrouds are Matsuo’s lovely Aluminium impregnated resin units.
Grip by Matsuo too.
Shroud Metal components, barrel and stock ( all cracking items ) from Steve at SD studios
Gorgeous SPAS parts from the forums member Armourer
Deactivated Remington M870
Hudson Gas Blowback Thompson M1A1
Pelican OD Case
Case stickers from the forums marsattack ( top bloke )
Potentially additional case stickers from the forums member Noble.
Ammo counter from Lightbenders.
Bits and Bobs from Maplins ( love this shop....so many geeky things )

The build has been straight forward until the other day when a spilled bottle of superglue bunged up the Thompsons workings and I could not disassemble it because it would not budge. However after a night submerged in petrol, a bath in boiling water in the morning, I was eventually able to remove the pins holding in the trigger assemble components which after about an hour of jiggling and moving bits with a screw driver ( through the bolt handle opening ) I was able to drop them down and allow the bolt to slide forward so that the gun could be taken apart. Jeez..scarey times.

I must admit this was a very tense time with visions of a useless chunk of metal sitting in the PR, instead of a fully functioning gas blowback! The trigger would not even move. Thankfully it will now be fully operational.

I am waiting for the Remington to return from the proof hose. I will then have the barrel removed the main body adjusted so that it cannot take a barrel.
My future concern will be making the indentation in the SPAS pump handle for the metal plate which screws to the Rem pump action arms. Hope this goes OK. I already messed up the cutting of the handle by referencing the wrong picture, but have re-built the missing section and to be honest, and to my surprise, its back to perfect.
With regard to the Pelican Case, I have decided to take a slightly different approach to the Derrick Beana case, which I must admit is fantastic, but a bit unrealistic ( I know its all fiction ) but shipping HIGH EXPLOSIVE grenades with the Rifle is never going to happen ( although they do look great in there ...it was tempting )
My case will feature elements that I think would be more realistic in terms of both how the rifle would be shipped from the manufacturer and how the Marine Corp would enter it into their inventory and deal with it from then on. Certainly not as exciting as opening a case to find a 6 pack of glistening grenade shells, but I think it will look good. Will post some pictures as soon as its finished.
If anyone is interested, I know where a Rem M870 can be found and I know a gunsmith that can do the deactivation work. Drop me a PM and I will send the info over.

2012-01-12192808.jpg

Looks like your off to a good start. A tip on the super glue, finger nail polish remover also desolves super glue.:cool

Looks like your off to a good start. A tip on the super glue, finger nail polish remover also desolves super glue.:cool

Buying 5 litres of acetone was the next and final stage, but was able to save myself £20. I tried my daughters nail polish remover but it just ran through and out.

Anyway thank goodness she was saved!

NOTE FOR FUTURE....keep modelling desk tidy and superglue well out the way. Putting the top on the bottle each time might help too!!! What a BONEHEAD:lol

The shrouds are painted, the front assembly ( 8 hole vent, front tiangle and SPAS guard ) is attached to the rifle. I have taken all of the components out of the trigger assembly of the M1A1 to clear any superglue residue, just hope I can work out how to put it all back together as any internet reference is poor. I am sure a few attempt will find the correct configuration.

In a way I am glad that the superglue incident happened as by taking it fully apart, I was able to clean up some burrs and generally finess the mechanism to run more smoothly.

Today I have filled a slight gap between the grip and the gun by injecting araldite into the void with a syringe. It is hard now and the seam has had a bit of green putty to seal.

Next stage..paint grip via matt black Halfords spreay can. Weather up the M1A1 body where sanding has removed the dark gun metal appearance, then slot in the trigger mech and test.

Sorry no pics for you. Will get some done soon.

BTW...I tried to use molecular acid as glue but was unable to get any as no one has invented the tube to put it in. They keep melting.

Re: Pulse rifle build - New Pics

One thing I noticed when re-assembling the M1A1 Thompson, was that the trigger mech was jamming. On further investigation it turned out to be the grip bolt intruding into the internal cavity too much. As the grip bolyt was old and had finally lost its slot for a screw driver on installing the grip....the grip was not coming off..EVER!

So about 2 hours of grinding back the offending bolyt end with a dremel type and the mech could again move freely. After a squirt of syntrhetic gun oil, the M1A1 was reassembled and now works like a dream.

M1A1final1.jpg

The sound of the bolt releasing is great and very forceful. Just as it should be.

M1A1final2.jpg

The stock stop system is rudimentary but the plates and bolts will be hid by the shroud. I had wanted a click adjust system but there is so little room to play with as it would intrude into the bolt cavity and foul it. So I went for a bolt to screw down in pre-drilled holes. I would probably never adjust the stock length anyway. If I can think of a cheap way to do a click..push/pull...stop mech at a later date I might re-visit it.

M1A1final3.jpg

And Finally with a Matsuo shroud painted in Krylon OD....

M1A1final4.jpg

Not sure whether to blacken the bolt yet. Will decide on the test build once the Remington arrives.

Hope you like the pics. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Looks great so far. As for the bolt, Yeah I would blacken it. Pick up a bottle of gun blue and dip it for a few minutes.

Looking great so far. I need to completly finish mine. I have an M870 and spas cage grip I need to cut down to modify. Still debading on keeping the 870 Live.

Looking great so far. I need to completly finish mine. I have an M870 and spas cage grip I need to cut down to modify. Still debading on keeping the 870 Live.

I wanted it live too but in the UK a shotgun with a barrel of less than 24" is a section 5 firearm and you would not get a licence for it. It would effectively be an illegal sawn off shotgun. I would carefully check the gun laws in your country to be safe. Having an illegal shotgun would be serious s**t.

All I can say is Be careful and do all the research.

Well is arrived, my M870 deactivated Wingmaster...took four bloody months though :angry

2012-05-24171002.jpg
2012-05-24171010.jpg

Time to get re-enthused again and get this baby built.

Thanks for dropping by.

Congrats on getting the 870. I've got a deactivated one in my PR build as well. There's nothing quite like the sound of racking the pump on a real shotgun.

Like samster said, keeping the shotgun live is not a good idea. In the US, when you cut the barrel down, you are creating what is known as a Short Barrelled Shotgun (or SBS). There is a lot of special paperwork and fees involved in getting an SBS and in some states, they are not allowed at all.

That's not to say that people haven't had live weapons in there Pulse Rifles. I believe Eltee has a live shotgun in his, don't know about his Thompson. And I think it is Lear60Man who built a California legal Pulse Rifle with a live Thompson. (For those that don't know, California has some strict gun laws).

nice build....funny u posted this...im actually waiting for my thompson to be delivered today so I can start mine !!

What type of Thompson is it? Metal gas blowback? Real? Airsoft? Do Tell.

Did it turn up?

Feel free to stick a pic of it on the thread or do you have a build thread on the go?

OK, a few more pics.

TestFit.jpg

Test Fit of Rem into the SPAS cage.

CloseUpRem.jpg

I removed a bit of the trigger assembly in prep for my milling man to remove the remainder next week for me.

TriggerASSY.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back