Pulp Fiction Prop Research Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Prop Runner, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Hey guys.

Lately I've been on a Pulp Fiction prop bender, and here's what I have so far:

[attachmentid=12129]

It's a silver version of the famous gold "Hanoi * watch" that Christopher Walken's character gave to young Butch and that years later ultimately cost Vincent Vega his life:

[attachmentid=12130]

I got both the watch and the vintage "© 1956 Fine Ent. Inc" porcelain kangaroo off eBay. The Kangaroo is pretty common and cheap, despite the fact that the sellers pitch it as a Pulp Fiction prop, although the spray paint schemes vary considerably, but good luck finding this pre-WWI Lancet wrist watch in gold or silver - took me nearly a year. :p Mine actually works (not so well...) and I'm thinking of getting it gold plated or using gold Rub-N-Buff to make it look more like the movie version. Any recommendations? It has a pocket-watch style rear case cover that reveals the intricate functioning watchworks inside:

[attachmentid=12131]

The inside of the cover reads "FLEURIER WATCH Co, SWISS" and a hand-engraved number below it. There's even a tarnished fingerprint that could well be close to 100 years old. :)

I know the Apple cigarettes and BMF wallet replicas are also regularly sold on eBay, and I plan on getting those too, but I'm also on the lookout for the following, which I haven't found yet:

The last book Vincent Vega ever read:

[attachmentid=12132]

The matches from Jack Rabbit Slim's:

[attachmentid=12133]

and the "Z" keychain that belonged to Zed's chopper, baby:

[attachmentid=12134]

If anyone knows a source for the keychain, matches, or book, or is willing to take these on as a project, I'd be in his debt. :)

Also, if you've bought or made your own Pulp Fiction props, please post them for everybody's enjoyment.

By the way, the screen caps are from the Special Edition DVD with bonus material disc, which has many great graphics used to create the film's paper props, but unfortunately they compress horizontally when I save them (is that an anti-infringement precaution? Doesn't happen when I save frames from the film itself...), and there's no artwork for the book cover.

2. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

I have the BMF wallet and everyone who sees it LOVES IT. Many moons ago, a girl at Chik-Fil-A saw it when I was paying for food and to this day, thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread. She'd have me show her co-workers every time I came in there. Just yesterday, a girl at Circle K saw it when I was putting my change in it and goes "OOOOhhhh" in that "I'm tellin'." kinda-way. She asked where I got it and I told her ebay. I try to keep where I got it on the down-low, as I don't want people copying me. :D At any rate, every time someone notices, I quote that line Sam Jack said right after Tim Roth pulled it out of the bag. "Das my bad *..." well, you know the rest.

I'd love to get a full-sized Jackrabbit Slim's menu. That'd be awesome. The watch would be great, but that'd be tough to find, so I usually don't bother. I'm gonna go look for that kangaroo right now. :D I love props that have practical real-world applications (i.e. watch, wallet, etc.) That's what I love about my BMF wallet... it's the only prop replica I can take with me everywhere I go. Let's face it... carrying a lightsaber everywhere you go would just look silly.

- Edit -
    Jedi, that's a great find. I'm interested in that book, now, just to see how good it is.

3. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a real book:

[attachmentid=12135]

...the first in the Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell. She's a female-James-Bond-type of character. I see it on Ebay from time to time...

Nice *-watch/kangaroo :D
    I could never find the gold version either, but I did have the one with white numerals ;)
    I still miss it:

[attachmentid=12136]

Good luck.
    -Chris

4. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

5. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

It's Vincent Vega not Tony.....just to clarify :D .

6. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a replica of the briefcase. Doing the lights wouldn't be hard, but I've been searching off and on for a matching briefcase and have yet to locate one.

7. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Ack. :p I was in a rush... Actually, for all I know he may go by Tony in the Netherlands :D

Thanks for the great tips and leads, guys.

And Chris - nice * watch/kangaroo yourself... MF. ;)

Keep 'em coming.

- Gabe

8. Deric

Deric Sr Member

The best wallets are at

http://www.badmofowallets.com/

That's where mine came from. Everyone does a double take when I pay for something. The bad thing is I showed some people at work and a couple more people ordered them - kinda takes the coolness out of it

9. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just got my second kangaroo. My first ended up being a gift to an army buddy who LOVES this movie. I never told him what it was, I just said "If you dont know what it is when you open the box, you dont get to keep it". He opened it and said "Butch's Kangaroo". I said "Its yours."

My second one is sitting right next to me as I type. :)

You can get them on ebay for about $10-$15. No prob.

10. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Cool story, Tony. :)

Deric - looks like your source is the guy who has 2 "Buy it Now" wallets on eBay any given week. Cheaper to order through eBay than his site, but great info there, thanks.

- Gabe

11. UFO

UFO Sr Member

i did a run of full sized jack rabbit slims menus a long time ago....buncha people here bought em....

12. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

[/quote]
    Very cool. Got the stomach for another run? Seems there may be a renewed interest. :)

Here's my DVD mini-menu:

[attachmentid=12137]

[attachmentid=12138]

13. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Here are two very recent additions to my growing collection:

After weeks of searching, I scored a 1965 Doubleday First U.S. Edition of Modesty Blaise in excellent condition (library discard), and a brushed nickel-plated "Z" keychain replica from the UK (both off eBay):

[attachmentid=12139]

The book was published before the ISBN catalog system was enacted, but it has a Libreary of Congress Catalog Card Number 65-17258.

Let me know if you'd like contact info on the "Z" chain seller - she offers "Kill Bill" and "Pulp Fiction" keychains and and other collectibles (they aren't licensed).

Next on the list: the embroidered leather BMF wallet and Red Apple cigarettes... :)

14. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Really, great watch and all, but if it doesn't have that Walken, personal, intimate, some might even say it came from within him, touch, then it isn't worth it.

15. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gabe,

Have you read Modesty Blaise? :)

Can we have a review...100 words or less. Don't spoil the ending.

16. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Actually, I haven't... If you have, can you post the Cliff notes version? :D

- Gabe

17. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

How about the SMG that kills Vega... Is there an Airsoft version?

COOL collection BTW.

18. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

it's ether a mac 10 or 11, i cant remember i thinks a 10 cos it was a bit on the big side.

19. Jedirick

OK, I'm stressing over the metal watch band.

Any profound insight?

20. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

21. Jedirick

22. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

How about UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs t-shirts?

[attachmentid=12140]

I know you Cali people can probably pick one up on any street corner (;)), but those of us in "the boonies" aren't so fortunate. :D

I Googled it, with less than spectacular results. :unsure

J

24. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Googled hard enough you did NOT. :p Found this in under 10 seconds by copy-pasting your own key words :lol:

[attachmentid=12141]

$13.99 at the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs merchandise site:

http://slugstore.ucsc.edu/ePOS/store=721&a...amp;design=721#

They even allude to the shirt's appearance in the film:

25. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Just got this in the mail a few minutes ago:

[attachmentid=12142]

[attachmentid=12143]

It's not 100% accurate, but the quality of the leather, stitching, embroidery, and workmanship is top-notch. :) Best I've found out there... Now I have to go step on it, soak it, oil it, and wear it for a year to match the hero wallet. :p

Marcus (kurtboy) and I are looking into printing fake $100 bills - Jules had 15 of them in his wallet when he and Vincent were having breakfast at the Hawthorne Diner.

Jedipunk is offering cool Jules and Vincent California driver licenses - looks like this will be my SECOND wallet replica set (my Deckard wallet set from Blade Runner being the first)

26. Jedirick

Already had my personal encounter with the Treasury Department. I'd take 10 LFL C&Ds over one chat with those boys. They are zealots with a capital Z.

Best bet would to be acquire some ebay "official" prop money or drastically alter size and or appearance of the bills.
    Like stick Travoltas face on the bill, refer to it as pulp fiction tender, something rather noticable.
    This ain't a time for accurracy. To be even safer, Don't even think about carrying the wallet and bills around with you. Should be a display only item.

Get caught with them and you'll probably find that there is not one single agent who has seen Pulp Fiction or any other film in the last decade. These guys tend to be focused on the job and only the job. To them if you own a printer, copier or any other means of duplication you are a counterfeiter.

27. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Sheesh - who ratted you out? :lol

- Gabe

28. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

29. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

If you guys are serious about the $100s, I'd get some of that play money. It's close enough looking at first glance.

30. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

It could have been his actual printer that gave him away. Check out this story from November of last month.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118664,00.asp

BTW, nothing meant to be implied at all JediRick. :) I just thought this was a good way to post about the article.

Bruce

31. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Phew.. Thanks God I have an ink jet printer. :lol

Gonna go crank me out some Benjamins now... ;)

- Gabe

32. dblank

dblank Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the bad * wallets I was always unsure which of the wallet makers to go with. Here's my Vincent and Jules busts.

[attachmentid=12144]

33. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

AWESOME WORK.. :eek

Love how you gave Vincent that shifty-eyed look - most busts I've seen here have the eyes facing front, which is very boring. Nice touch... :thumbsup

34. Jedirick

Idid a stupid thing. I did a nice thing for a stranger.

For years our stores have checked for counterfeit bills with marker pens etc. When found, I have always turned these in to the bank or to the local Treasury department.

Few years back I got a 'Check due on delivery" shipment from a pet product specialty company. The main owner had sent his employee on a east coast delivery run.

When I paid the guy he asked where the nearest bank was where he could cash the check to cover travel expenses. I called his boss who confirmed he had told him to do so. Being the nice guy I am, I paid him out of petty cash to keep him from having to drive his rig in town to a bank. The total was about $1500 all in twenty's.

Five days later the guy shows up back in Texas, hands the money to his boss who finds $500 in counterfeit bills... he reports it to the Treasury dept. Who comes looking for me.

I got run through the mill. Got interrogated for a couple hours. All our petty cash comes from the bank as it is constantly reimbursed. We have many live animal COD shipments. The bank manager verified we cashed a petty cash check that day for almost a $1000, didn't matter. The delivery guy claimed he never counted the money, we had 3 witnesses who saw him count it. Didn't matter. The treasury guys came to my office, looked over our printer/scanners, told us they weren't they ones used, wanted to know what we did with the one we used. real A-holes.
    I really figured I had given the guy counterfeit money and some how neither the bank or I had caught them. I mean $500 in bogus twentys not getting spotted meant these were some well made bills.

Then the counterfeit bills arrived in the local office. They call me down there again for more questions. I was eager to cooperate because I figured if the bills were that good and hadn't surfaced elsewhere that I was the primo suspecto.

I took one look at the bills and lost my temper. Totally just lost it.Did a jekyll/hyde. I mean I am a very big guy and have a large voice and I went off the deep end. Suddenly there were four very alert agents in the room with me and my attorney. I scared my attorney as he had yet to get as good look at the bills.

The bills had been xeroxed front and back. The same $100 same $50 bill used several times I never gave him any 100's or 50's. The bills were on regular white paper. Each bill was two pieces of xeroxed paper glued back to back with school paste. The edges were not even lined up or glued together.. The colors were all gray tones from using a black and white copier. The paper was wrinkley, stiff and lumpy from all the glue used. A ten yearold kid could have done better. A five year old could have picked them out as fakes.

I cussed those four guys out for jerking me around, for scaring crap out of my office girls, for embarassing me at the bank, for worrying my wife and for generally being idiots. I was in their face *. Then I walked out of the office before anybody could really say anything, well actually anything they said I shouted down. :D Had to wait at my car for my lawyer to catch up. Never heard another word from those guys.

I get a bogus bill now. I turn it over to the bank. Screw the Treasury guys. Somebody like that take a decent hard working business person and put him through crap like that over an obvious grade school art project has a mindset I will not deal with.

35. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

So they called you back even though they KNEW you paid the guy in 20s and despite the fact that your prints never showed up on any of the bills? And the delivery guy wasn't the main suspect because...?

Whacky, whacky stuff.... :confused

- Gabe

36. Jedirick

These guys operate on guilty until proven guilty. Just an example of how these guys think and BATF is right behind them. Anyone operating under the premise their Sterling meets BATF demil specs is working with no net.

I couldn't prove I paid in 20's, my word against a guy in Texas who turned in the bills.

Obviously the the delivery guy over spent his stipend. Replace it with funny money and play innocent.

Sad thing is I lost a specialty distributor and he lost a major account. All over a stinking employee and $500.

37. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

In the script it says Jules picks out an "I'm with Stupid" shirt from Jimmy's bag of clothes. Can't tell if the shirt worn in the film says that, though.

38. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

[​IMG]

I could be mistaken, but it looks to me like George Washington crossing the Delaware and behind him is a sista with an monster afro... I don't see any text or captions at this resolution... Gonna make me some screen caps now. :D

- Gabe

39. ed-209

ed-209 Sr Member

I could be mistaken, but it looks to me like George Washington crossing the Delaware and behind him is a sista with an monster afro... I don't see any text or captions at this resolution... Gonna make me some screen caps now. :D

- Gabe

Gabe, I wonder what Sigmunf Freud would think of your interpretation of JuliusÂ’s shirt graphic?

The shirt is actually a blowup from a cartoon panel from KRAZY KAT. The graphic shows Krazy Kat being hit in the back of the head with a brick thrown by IGNATZ the mouse. The “sista” with the monster afro is…a tree....
    See below for info on Krazy KatÂ….
    ED

Krazy Kat, Ignatz Mouse, Offissa Pupp and an assortment of other individuals. These cartoon characters were created in 1913 by George Herriman, a cartoonist for Hearst papers. The strip ran until the mid-1940's. In the cartoon, Krazy Kat, a cat of indeterminate sex, was in love with Ignatz Mouse. Ignatz, in turn, had a somewhat antagonistic attitude toward Krazy, which he demonstrated by tossing bricks at her head. Alas, Krazy took the hard knocks as a sign that Ignatz truly loved him. Meanwhile, Offissa Pupp, the local canine constable, also loved Krazy, and tried to protect her by attempting to catch Ignatz at his various criminal activities and throw him in jail. The eternal love triangle, with all the confusion, humor, violence and pathos, played out against the surrealistic setting of Coconino County, Arizona, land of the Grand Canyon.

[attachmentid=12145]

40. Jedirick

Anybody able to ID Jackson's T ?

41. Jedirick

42. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I didn't even know it was archived. :p First the Deckard lamp thread, not this... I'm not worthy. :$

I actually took some good screen caps of Jules' tee that shows the graphics better - shall I post them here so they can be added?

- Gabe

43. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't tell you where to find Jules' shirt, but I CAN tell you it's probably a custom based on a VERY old cartoon character called "Krazy Kat" (which is the character being nailed by the brick). Maybe that will help.

44. Funky

45. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thanks, Funky. That was already pointed out in the newly archived thread, and I appreciate that you can confirm it. :) Here are some good close-ups of the shirt:

[attachmentid=6907]

Rick: since the search continues for this shirt and other items, such as Jules' "J" gold necklace and bracelet, Vincent's earring, Marsallus Wallace's bandaid :D, etc., do you think it's perhaps premature to archive the thread? I'd argue that the search for the Deckard lamps is also ongoing, so what's a person to do if he or she makes a new prop discovery in either movie? It just strikes me a bit odd that a discovery-rich thread like Nick Daring's "Blade Runner: A Web of Props" thread hasn't been archived yet but my lamp thread has. Does the staff currently have a policy of attaching addendums to archived threads, and if not, could such a policy be initiated? I see archiving in perhaps a different light: the purpose should be to ensure the threads don't fall off the deep end, but I can't think of a reason that they shouldn't remain open to new contributions. After all, collecting and updating prop information in the RPF is an ever-evolving process.

Would be grateful for your thoughts and the rest of the staff's. :)

Thanks,

- Gabe

46. Jedirick

Probably my fault for the archiving early. Twofold as I brought them to Yodaman's attention and then I keep posting to them. :D

Yodaman and I both want to be able to preserve stuff before it falls off into the sea of internet debris. It's great to have the forum size and capability to archive threads and keep all the photo ref intact.
    lemme see what is best to do.

47. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Not sure on Jules shirt but I recognized Tarantino's when I first saw the movie.
    From IMDB:

Jimmy (Quentin Tarantino) is wearing a t-shirt bearing the logo of "Orbit", a local alternative newspaper in Metro Detroit, for which Tarantino did an interview when he was promoting Reservoir Dogs (1992).

Orbit is long gone as far as I know, but I'm in the suburbs now. When Pulp Fiction came out I was living in downtown Detroit going to college. Picked up Orbit all the time.

48. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PM's sent (Rick and Gabe) about Jules' shirt ;)

-Ss

49. Funky

Well, I suck. :(

50. Jedirick

Poor fella. I'll share my PM with you. :D