Psychological effects of wearing a bio-helmet and seeing in infrared

Hecatomb

Hi guys,

As we all know, the bio-helmet provides predators protection and the infrared view can give them a tactical advantage over their prey.

Now, I was wondering what kind of psychological effect this has on predators. If you wear a mask or a special kind of clothing, you might do things you otherwise wouldn't do because you somewhat become a different person.
I'm thinking about the movie Das Experiment, where random guys were selected for a role-playing situation. It took place in a prison-like environment with half of the guys dressed up as prisoners, and the other half as prison wardens. It soon got out of hand with the 'prison wardens' using excessive violence against the 'prisoners'.
I don't think predators would wear their bio-helmets on their home planet. When they wear bio-helmets out hunting, it would actually give them the feeling of being bad-ass hunters and boosting their confidence.

About the infrared: seeing in infrared reduces prey to moving red/yellow shapes. They can hardly distinguish any facial expressions of their prey, which makes it more difficult to develop any empathy for their prey and making the killing easier.
The bio-helmet also changes ambient sounds, so they won't hear any sounds their prey makes as they actually are.
Imagine being a Roman soldier and stabbing an enemy, feeling his bones break and hear him screaming out in pain, or being a US soldier controlling a drone somewhere in Afghanistan dropping bombs. In essence, it's the same thing, but the second situation is more comfortable for the one that's doing all the killing.
Being able to see in infrared, predators don't care about what their prey is going through. It was only when Dutch gave Anytime such a hard time that he pinned him against a tree to see the face of this prey that just wouldn't go down. The classic predator in Predators also took a closer look at Royce's face to see who this human was that freed him.

Your thoughts?

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the P1S (classic) took a closer look at Royce to make sure he( Royce) wasn’t one of the people/ Humans that tied him up or had something to do with his initial capture? ( I was told that Humans were the ones who had actually caught the P1S, then the SBP came along and took over)
I don’t think it’s just the bio. I think it’s the entire experience of actively being on a hunt that ‘changes’ a Predator psychologically, that along the fact that

1) He’s dealing with a man - a being of another species and he may not even be able to properly interpret the man’s expressions if he did see them.

2) Said man has been designated as prey- And prey is to be dispatched.

IMO, it’s these two things that play a role in the way a Predator handles his prey/victims.
For some reason, I don’t think things like blood, screams, pitiful expressions and breaking bones bother these guys. They can dispatch and unwrap a man ( a man that has been designated as prey) with as much disregard as a child does with his/her birthday gift.
Now, when it comes to dealing with humans who are not prey items, I’d say the treatment they would receive would be quite different. A predator would be just as hard with or with out his bio on. Just my 2cents
~Estelle

I go back to that the Predator is just a movie so there is no way possible to know what psychological effects will occur in said situations. Since I am not a alien and don't know any aliens I can only compare said situations with what a human may expierence in something similar like a human hunting a bear.
(1)When a human is given a gun to go hunt an animal of course they feel more confidence and feel more powerful because the bear does not have those things.
(2) I believe a Predator looks at us as we look at a bear when we are hunting...we will respect the creature and be cautious but when someone hits a bear in the heart they really don't feel an emotion towards the creature such as guilt they would feel more of a since of victory.

'Ello. Reading this thread reminded me of a conversation I had with Estelle in another thread. Here's part of the conversation.

As for how they actually see... There's some problems here. In P1, his bio showed thermal imaging, but when he took his mask off, his actual vision was way on the Infrared side of the spectrum as apposed to the ultraviolet. Now, in P2, the pred could still see in thermal imaging after he had his bio removed. You can see that they fixed this in Predators when berserker took his bio off. Anyways...If the preds evolved to see in the infrared, then they would be able to interpret what they see. If a human looks at something in the infrared, we would not be able to interpret the data in the same way

O.K. I think I get what you're saying - That what looks in the eyes of us humans when viewing inferred to be a blurry blob of red, green and blue is actually " Dutch" down to the finest detail to the P1? O.k. I can agree with that.
~Estelle

So, my thought in this is that it's no different from troops using night vision goggles during a mission. Just helping them see. I don't think it would do much to take away from the situation. In fact, if that's how their brain does process images, then it could enhance what they're seeing. Maybe it gives a much clearer view of the prey and how they die. Maybe it enhances the hearing of the preds, too.

Every time it shows a pred use his recording loop, it has the voice distorted as we "Hear" what the pred hears. But when it's played back (With the exception of "Want some candy?") the voice is played back perfectly clear. So maybe they hear at a much lower tone, like a frog or most reptiles.

From a psychological stand point, maybe being able to see and hear the prey more clearly, they can truly appreciate the life they're ending.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

They skin people.. Predators just don't give a ****... lawl.. honey badger.... Anyway.. predators don't care.. they are pretty damned smart creatures they know what they are doing and I just think all that tech is to make hunting a bit more easier to find and catch their prey... not desensitize them.

Predator really doesn't give a ****., he's pretty badass. Lawl.. ah god.. someone.. lol.. make a predator video like that.. aah god..

Good theory though.

lmao!!!!! Jules, I can imagine you speaking your relpy as you type...I can imagine hearing you speaking with that gay twang in you voice as you say " predator doesn't give ****" lol, lol..I'm still lol'ing
~Estelle

I think once again some are confusing the terms "hunter" with "fighter". They're not the same.

I can't see any reason why a Pred would think of its prey any differently than we think of a rabbit or a deer or a Cape buffalo when we hunt it.

I agree that just as we hunt for trophies, and don't give a **** about our prey, but infact as we will hunt a healthy male or female animal, we wont(unless you are just a poacher) hunt pregnant, nursing,sick or young ones as its just a "hunter's" code of honor, respect and valor that we as humans keep! So why would the Predator be any different.... If you remember in P2 at the cemetery with the kid when he saw the kid holding the gun his trilaser was at the ready, but I guess his bio helped him distinguish that it was a "fake" weapon..... So even though he has honor for his prey, he also would have shot that kid down had it been a real weapon.. And yes I know why did he not then kill Det. Leona Cantrel(Maria Conchita) in the train even though she was shooting at him, well maybe he was just thinking of a future mark(prey) for him! what do you think about that!

I pretty much agree with you Torredator, they ( Predators) follow some sort of code or another concerning the hunt.
I feel it's actually the hunt they respect more so than the prey. Maria in P2 was a prime example, P2 spared her, not because he felt sorry for her, but because the hunt dictates pregnat females should be spared.
I also think that human beings are the most impressive creatures the Predators hunt. In the original screen play it was mentioned that the Predator saw in man a 'kindred spirit' and how the Predator had found an 'evolutionary rival' in man, so it make sense for Predators to put in place rules that will insure that this amazing prey species is around for the next generation of preds to hunt.
~ Estelle

I agree that just as we hunt for trophies, and don't give a **** about our prey, but infact as we will hunt a healthy male or female animal, we wont(unless you are just a poacher) hunt pregnant, nursing,sick or young ones as its just a "hunter's" code of honor, respect and valor that we as humans keep! So why would the Predator be any different.... If you remember in P2 at the cemetery with the kid when he saw the kid holding the gun his trilaser was at the ready, but I guess his bio helped him distinguish that it was a "fake" weapon..... So even though he has honor for his prey, he also would have shot that kid down had it been a real weapon.. And yes I know why did he not then kill Det. Leona Cantrel(Maria Conchita) in the train even though she was shooting at him, well maybe he was just thinking of a future mark(prey) for him! what do you think about that!

Det. Leona Cantrel was preggers

Now, I was wondering what kind of psychological effect this has on predators. If you wear a mask or a special kind of clothing, you might do things you otherwise wouldn't do because you somewhat become a different person.
I'm thinking about the movie Das Experiment, where random guys were selected for a role-playing situation. It took place in a prison-like environment with half of the guys dressed up as prisoners, and the other half as prison wardens. It soon got out of hand with the 'prison wardens' using excessive violence against the 'prisoners'.
I don't think predators would wear their bio-helmets on their home planet. When they wear bio-helmets out hunting, it would actually give them the feeling of being bad-ass hunters and boosting their confidence.

Interesting idea but I totally disagree with your conclusion and example. In Das Experiment, you had people donning apparel of an authority figure, something they were not, but that gave them a false sense of empowerment, which in all honesty is just silly. The clothes does not a solider/police man/guard make. Someone who feels empowered by clothing or attire really needs to rethink their position and their motivations. True character comes from within and the outside apparel and tools should only augment what one is on the inside.

Now we all know that these are just movies, but assuming the Predators as depicted in comics and movies are a species, they are incredible hunters and I would think their biomasks would empower them about as much as a crash helmet empowers a NASCAR driver. The helmet is simply a tool to aid in the hunt as a pair of binoculars might aid a safari hunter. There is no doubt the bio has its advantages but they are more practical than psychological. I think you are looking at this from the perspective of prey...

Imagine being a Roman soldier and stabbing an enemy, feeling his bones break and hear him screaming out in pain, or being a US soldier controlling a drone somewhere in Afghanistan dropping bombs. In essence, it's the same thing, but the second situation is more comfortable for the one that's doing all the killing.
Being able to see in infrared, predators don't care about what their prey is going through.

Again, I think your analogy is faulty because your premise is faulty. The way in which a Predator hunts and kills is very personal. They have the technology and weaponry to kill from afar if they so desired. They could easily put themselves in a remote position, matching your drone analogy. They want a more personal and upclose experience. Their natural vision and hearing clearly isn't the same as ours and their bio helmet augments those deficiencies, much as night vision and sonar augment ours. I don't think for a second anything you see in the technology of the helmets is meant to soften the emotional blow of ripping someone's spine from their body. I don't think they need or want such codling. It is simply a result of their technology, just as the drones are a result of ours. The Predator drones our troops fly weren't developed so it would be less psychologically upsetting for them to kill. The fact that flying a drone and killing bad guys with it is like playing a video game in which the remote pilot enjoys a detached reality from the gruesome death he is dealing is simply a side benefit, but is not the main purpose for the drone. The same is the case with the bio helmet.

Thanks for the contributions, guys!

Lol @ the honey badger reference ^^

I think I was indeed looking at this more from the perspective of the prey. So while predators won't hunt the unarmed, pregnant women etc., they will have no problems skinning their prey or ripping their spinal cords out and the bio-helmet is just a tool that aids them in hunting?
I guess that's actually pretty obvious.

I think I was indeed looking at this more from the perspective of the prey. So while predators won't hunt the unarmed, pregnant women etc., they will have no problems skinning their prey or ripping their spinal cords out and the bio-helmet is just a tool that aids them in hunting?

Those are my thoughts. Doesn't necessarily mean I am right. After all, it is just supposition about a movie monster, but it can be fun to think about from time to time.

Personally I think due to their ritualistic nature, that putting on their bio helmets would get them in the 'mood' to hunt - if predators expirience 'moods'. Its unclear weather of not predators 'enjoy' hunting, or if it's simply a means to gain weary and social stature - like a job.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the P1S (classic) took a closer look at Royce to make sure he( Royce) wasn’t one of the people/ Humans that tied him up or had something to do with his initial capture? ( I was told that Humans were the ones who had actually caught the P1S, then the SBP came along and took over)

The SBP's chained up Classic. There's a special feature on the DVD that is like a 'moving comic strip' or something, but it explains what happens when the SBPs rock up

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back