Protecting/sealing pink insulation foam?

MrSinistar

I was wondering how do I protect pink insulation foam from dents and marks? I noticed that bondo eats away at the stuff, so that's out. Do I just clear coat it?

Thanks!

Has anybody here used the Steve's stuff in that last link? I'm curious if the standard or fiberglass versions would work to harden EVA or L200 foam armor?

Also, for a separate project, their paper mache compound sounds perfect. Did I read correctly that it's a pourable, castable paper mache that can be used with a silicone mold? That's exactly what I'm looking for actually.

If you are in a pinch, use some regular acrylic paint. It won't go far in protecting it from heavy bumps and abuse, but it will help hold things together from light wear and tear.

I used to use a thin layer of polyfil over the surface of pink insulation as a protective layer. I used to create a lot of modular wargaming boards made out of pink insulation and it needed to withstand heavy wear.

Sweet! I may just go ahead and get some Shell Shock...I recently got the starter get you guys sell and it was a lot of fun making my first mold with Oomoo.

We have two products that work really well, one is a little bit of an investment, needing a special gun (2 second cure time is the reason) called Styrocoat: Styrocoat® Plastic Coating Product Information | Smooth-On
If not doing that type of volume, Shell Shock works really well for hand application, it is able to be sanded and milled with a quick cure time: Shell Shock® Liquid Plastic Product Information | Smooth-On ... you can buy this in small sizes

All you need is this and it's cheap:

Hot Wire Foam Factory

You can do the search as to what seller would be cheapest to get to you.

It's not a hazardous chemical so it can be shipped anywhere. It will put a durable, rock hard surface on pink foam.

Laffo.

Future Floor polish works well. It's water thin so it'll go on without killing detail, but it's so thin that it'll need to be top coated for dent protection. In my experience urethane resin does have a reaction, it's minimal but it'll put millions of pin bubbles in the resin. Wood glue or even elmer's or weldbond will work too, then resin.

Rock-on...Will try the shell shock myself!

We have two products that work really well, one is a little bit of an investment, needing a special gun (2 second cure time is the reason) called Styrocoat: Styrocoat® Plastic Coating Product Information | Smooth-On
If not doing that type of volume, Shell Shock works really well for hand application, it is able to be sanded and milled with a quick cure time: Shell Shock® Liquid Plastic Product Information | Smooth-On ... you can buy this in small sizes

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back