Prosthetics

nikkidiamonds

Hello, newbie here. I am basically looking for some reassurance that I bought the right products and tips.
I purchased foam latex cheek prosthetics and elf ears (Maleficent costume). I plan on using Spirit Gum and liquid latex to smooth out any edges on my cheeks. I also purchased a Derma RMG Wheel for a base coat.
Anything else I should purchase? It’s my first time ever doing prosthetics. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thank you.

In all of my prosthetic pieces I've ever applied, I much prefer pros-aide to spirit gum. On top of being highly allergic to spirit gum because it's made from tree sap, it can lose it's grip after a little while. You also have to tap it to activate the glue, where as pros-aide is ready to be stuck down when it goes from white to clear. Cream pros-aide can create a much stronger bond, but you're going to still want a remover for both glues.

The bonus with pros-aide is that you can use a stipple effect to blend the prosthetic better into the skin. The flashing, or thin edge of the prosthetic, is the key to realism. The thinner your flashing, the better the prosthetic looks. You can blend it into your skin much easier.

Liquid latex on the edges, built up in layers, thinning down towards your skin, will also hide the edges, but liquid latex will have to be set with a powder product after it dries.

Color wheels are great products to build color with. Start light with a beauty blender and a stippling effect to match your skin tone. You never want to go heavy on one color, always remember your highlights and contouring.

Here are some of my prosthetic adventures (in latex and gelatin):

Billy Butcherson: Login • Instagram
Steve Harrington: Login • Instagram
Gimli: Login • Instagram
Will Turner: Login • Instagram
Kaecilius: Login • Instagram

Good luck!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back