pros aide....still a mysetry....HELP!

predatron

hey guys thanks again for the help,ok so iv read like a million pages and almost melted my laptop but one thing im still a little confused about is pros aid,ok i know its an adhesive and you can mix it with paint but my question is DO I HAVE TO MIX IT WITH EVERY COLOUR OR ONLY THE PRIMER?

on the P1 mask painting tutorials iv found there is no mention of using it on the detail colours but i would have thoght i was supposed to mix x amount of it (if someone can clear up the amount even better) with all my colours

also i would have thought this was the case with skins?

im going to use createx paints if someone could help out that would be great,cheers guys

Not nessicarily so Jason, with a good pax base coat, thinned acrylics will stick pretty well ..then a good sealer after. Works best when using inks in the airbrush ....we also drybruch acrylics for highlights over a pax base

Good to know George. I thot it only applied to inks. I was told to mix it with every layer when I did mine and it doesn't hurt I guess...just more work cleaning out the damn airbrush

Not nessicarily so Jason, with a good pax base coat, thinned acrylics will stick pretty well ..then a good sealer after. Works best when using inks in the airbrush ....we also drybruch acrylics for highlights over a pax base

Good to know George. I thot it only applied to inks. I was told to mix it with every layer when I did mine and it doesn't hurt I guess...just more work cleaning out the damn airbrush

cheers guys so your saying i can go either way?ill go with adding it to every colour simply because knowing my luck it will chip if i dont,i build and paint custom transformers and a few other things and i have had this problem in the past with bendy plastics

ps nice to meet you guys as well :p

http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX

I have thinned the Liquitex with alcohol(some prefer water) and then mixed in the Pros-Aide. It'll still clog up the air brush eventually but it works. I've stopped making a PAX like that I mix Pros-Aide with Alcohol and add some airbrush paint to tint it to see where it goes. Then paint over it. I'm no painter though and I haven't seen the long term wear and tear but that seems to be in line with what ptgreek suggests.

cheers guys,so im starting to wonder can i not just add liquid latex to the paint and do away with pros aide altogether because it sounds like they are doing similar things or am i missing something?

thanks again

Personally i have always coated a item with neat prosaide, then ran the ink or acrylic on its own, i refuse to push gunk through my IWATA airbrush :)

many ways to paint stuff, i think it boils down to what you feel comfy with or have had success with.

Personally i have always coated a item with neat prosaide, then ran the ink or acrylic on its own, i refuse to push gunk through my IWATA airbrush :)

many ways to paint stuff, i think it boils down to what you feel comfy with or have had success with.

How did u do that? thin the prosaide with water and spray it all over the suite/mask/whatever or right before in just the area you were painting?

On a mask i have a cheap £10 ebay airbrush i use to spray it on, on a suit i use a cheap brush and brush it on, both times neat, NOT waterd down,

On a mask i have a cheap £10 ebay airbrush i use to spray it on, on a suit i use a cheap brush and brush it on, both times neat, NOT waterd down,

did u brush on prosaide on the entire suit first or on the area right before you painted the certain area. I was told on the suit, airbrushing with acrylic paint to use 50 acrylic/25 water/ 25 pros............thats good right

u brushed on the Prosaide and sprayed the paint on and it help and didnt chip, flake or crack at all?

Presently i am painting leg skins, i coated the whole of the lages skins, as i then do the base colours straight away, every now and again i will check to see if the skin/head is still tacky, if it is not i will recoat, only after i have started painting, i have to use a airbrush to put another layer of prosaide as a brush may drag some of the ink about thats not fully dry ( maybe not but i do not take the chance )

Never used a mix so i do not know, but other here use similar.

You may get SOME cracking around wrists /ankles and where other things touch it, underarms or armour may do rubbing.

so just wondering lee when you are painting your legs for the first layer do you paint pros-aide or paint????

Presently i am painting leg skins, i coated the whole of the lages skins, as i then do the base colours straight away, every now and again i will check to see if the skin/head is still tacky, if it is not i will recoat, only after i have started painting, i have to use a airbrush to put another layer of prosaide as a brush may drag some of the ink about thats not fully dry ( maybe not but i do not take the chance )

Never used a mix so i do not know, but other here use similar.

You may get SOME cracking around wrists /ankles and where other things touch it, underarms or armour may do rubbing.

thanks for the reply guys sum helpful stuff in there so just to reiterate on something usurper said,you say this pros aide stuff will prob **** my airbrush and that i should proberbly use a cheap one?

so anyone not use pros aide at all and just mix with liquid latex?

I Always Prosaide before any paint.

Im am sure my IWATA will run prosaide through fine, but need cleaning more often, i HATE CLEANING my airbrush , stripping it down etc, so id rather use a cheapo airbrush for prosaide hehe.

I Always Prosaide before any paint.

Im am sure my IWATA will run prosaide through fine, but need cleaning more often, i HATE CLEANING my airbrush , stripping it down etc, so id rather use a cheapo airbrush for prosaide hehe.

yeah me to my airbrush is a nightmare,the paints i use on custom toys are a nightmare to change even with proper thinners and cleaners so i have to dismantle my airbrush nearly EVERY time i change colours!ps ill be getting one of those heads off ya real soon unpainted if thats ok,cheers

I have never used any special cleaner warm soapy water in between ink changes, and after, then the occasionaly WD40 lol.

:)

I have never used any special cleaner o_O warm soapy water in between ink changes, and after, then the occasionaly WD40 lol.

:p

WD40? I would think that would leave a residue that would mess of the paint the next time you used it. Zerry Interesting...Do you take it apart when you clean it or just shoot the soapy water straight through it with a rinse cycle?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back