Pros-Aide Question

munson

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if the Pros-Aide I found on eBay would do the trick or if anyone would recommend a different type. I'm going to be using FW and Liquitex Inks. Would the 4 oz be enough to paint a skin, armor, mask, etc...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kryolan-Pros-Aide-No-Tack-4-fl-oz-6101-/250839833182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67381a5e

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

It should be just enough. I used 2 oz. for my body (Mr. I), hands and feet. I still need to do my armor but I anticipate using maybe only 1 oz. for that. I received my mask painted so I'm not 100% sure how much that would use up if I had done it myself but 1 oz. seems to be about right...wouldn't surprise me if it were less.

It is not ProsAide, it is a German knockoff. It may not even be a similar formulation. Hard to say. Ben Nye's prosthetic adhesive is nothing like ProsAide at all, but but rather a weird latex emulsion. Sometimes it is worth spending the money on the real thing. True ProsAide is sold at reputable effects suppliers, and is made by ADM Tronics. I have also had issues with No tack ProsAide peeling off.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about the no-tack because it says it's not sticky, but I'm a bit confused about it.

I found a site that carries the AMD Tronics Pros-Aide.

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=PA01&Category_Code=

I'm having some help painting from NeoKazama and I'm going to use 60% ink, 30% latex, and 10% Pros-Aide for the base. I'll have enough of the MonsterMakers RD-407 latex and I have the inks, just need pros-aide and the sealer.

I don't know if I would waste ink on the base. Just mix up an opaque acrylic with the latex and Pros-Aide and sponge that on to blend everything together and make a uniform base. Pretty sure that's how George does it (Hopefully he sees your thread and comments). Not really sure why you need the latex and the Pros-Aide, either. Keep your inks for the layers on top.

Last time I spoke to Monster Makers about ProsAide, they told me they did not sell it but rather sold their own acrylic adhesive. I am not sure if that changed.

Adding latex to your mix will not help. I would stick to ProsAide and acrylic paint. I like 70% ProsAide, 30% Paint for my PAX, but you could always do it differently.

I will tell you this though, anything less than 50% ProsAide and you are likely to have major adhesion issues with your paint.

I agree with Mike ( Effects Guy) ..for the most part thats how I do it too ..however the FW ink way is awesome ..just base your suit out in straight prosaide ..then lay down your inks

Thanks again Effects Guy. I found the Motion Picture FX site. I'm going to go with the original ProsAide. Again, thanks for all the help, with being a noob painter,I just wanted to make sure I'm using a quality ProsAide.

http://www.monsterclub.com/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=pros-aide&x=4&y=10

No worries bro. The thing that a lot of newbies do not realize is that ProsAide is a brand, it is made by one company. It is not a product type, like glue or paint. If you want to know what to look for, ProsAide is one brand of acrylic medical adhesive. Other companies make similar products. The only other ones that really hold up are Beta Bond, by Telesis (PPI) or Aquafix, by Mouldlife. The Graftobian stuff is so so, and everything else is kinda a waste of time, at least based on my own experience.

Great info on the ProsAide. Also being a noob, I still have not decided how to go about painting yet, ProsAide w/acrylic paint + sealer or just getting the ready to use MonsterMaker paints + sealer? Decissions, desissions............

My feet and hands will be here Tuesday. I need to make my mind up soon. Next step will be the MR I suit and then the mask.......getting close.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back