Props lost or destroyed

My son loves Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep and Timmy Time. I dgidn't know anything about a fire. A googling I must go!

From wikipedia -
"Meanwhile, on 10 October 2005, a serious fire at a storage facility used by Aardman and other Bristol based companies destroyed over 30 years of props, models, scenery and awards collected by the company. This warehouse was used for storage of past projects and so did not prevent the production of their current projects at the time. In addition, the company's library of finished films were stored elsewhere and were undamaged. An electrical fault was determined to be the cause of the blaze.[11] Referring to the 2004 South Asia earthquake and tsunami, Park was quoted as saying, "Even though it is a precious and nostalgic collection and valuable to the company, in light of other tragedies, today isn't a big deal."[12]"

Aardman Animations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the disney backstage tour about 17 years ago the helicopter from Blue Thunder or Airwolf was just dumped at the side of the road. I think that is Wisteria Lane now on Desparate Housewifes. Anyway thats when I realized that old movie props are not always treated like museum pieces.

On the disney backstage tour about 17 years ago the helicopter from Blue Thunder or Airwolf was just dumped at the side of the road. I think that is Wisteria Lane now on Desparate Housewifes. Anyway thats when I realized that old movie props are not always treated like museum pieces.

Desperate House wives is shot at Universal Studios Hollywood, me thinks.

Anyone ever seen any of the costumes from John Carpenter's 'The Thing'? Are they warehoused somewhere? I've never seen any of them surface.

Over the past few years, there have been several sales (all by the tools at PIH, I think) of pieces from Stan Winston's collection; a couple of The Thing "creatures" have been included. With rare exception, it seems that most everything that Winston retained was maintained/refurbished for display; it's not clear to me whether his company had an exhibition space (did the material serve as a sort of portfolio?) or they intended that the stuff go to collectors or what.

With rare exception, it seems that most everything that Winston retained was maintained/refurbished for display; it's not clear to me whether his company had an exhibition space (did the material serve as a sort of portfolio?) or they intended that the stuff go to collectors or what.

IIRC many of those displays were used as decor around the company's office and studio.

There are times when it does suck to throw stuff away. But the cost and space of storage is just too prohibitive.

After a show is done we used to throw away tons of stuff that were just a pain in the ass to deal with. Stuff that to us didn't really matter.

Because of that I try to keep everything I can. But it just turns into a weird horders episode.

For instance I had all these cave walls from Good Luck Chuck when we filmed it and I had no where to put them. I wanted to make my basement into a batcave. But it just was such a big project I wasn't ready for so I tired to sell/give away the peices and no takers...it had to go! :(

I once saw an article with pictures of them burning Phasers after the filming of the Star Trek movies. There was this guy with a handfull of the assault models dumping them into a barrell of fire.....true story.

On the disney backstage tour about 17 years ago the helicopter from Blue Thunder or Airwolf was just dumped at the side of the road.
It was the "boneyard" part of the backstage tour. It was the mockup Blue Thunder used for inserts, the one used to film actors sitting in it pretending to fly.

Nearly everything was destroyed from 2001. The sets props wardrobe Etc.. Kubrick did want a sequel to ever be made so it was all destroyed. Except for a few small pieces

Wasn't that because there was a movie made with sets and costumes from an earlier Kubrick film (that he paid for), and he vowed that it wouldn't happen again?

Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS.

One of the stories I'd heard a while back was that Wah Chang built it (like just about every other prop on the show); but, he wasn't a member of the union at the time, and when it was found out, he was told that he wouldn't be paid for making it (at the out-of-pocket cost of a couple of grand).
He told them that he wanted it back after filming; they gave it to him, he took it home, and took an axe to it, so that they couldn't come back and try and use it again.
If it's true, it's a very sad tale all around. :(

I lost my Smallville Relic necklace. I hate myself so much that I lost it. I had it for like 4 years :/ I am gonna have to order one once I get some $$ again.

Think the thread is more for actual studio props that have gone into oblivion over the years. Not replicas.

Sorry you lost it, though.

I rescued this from the LFL trash bin :

2066484976_2f97f73dff_z.jpg

It was used for the live-action cutscenes for the "rebel Assault" video game.
Hopefully we will finish restoring it this summer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back