Prop Runner's Mystery Project Contest

Mike: So ya... thought ya... might like to... go to the show...? ;)

Originally posted by Sporak@Feb 6 2006, 10:54 PM
I see a womans rear end...
It's a mirror Darn it...
Shhhhhhhhh... Don't say that out loud or the mods will delete this thread. :angel

But I have to confess: I didn't think anyone would get that. :p Damn, you one kinky bastid like me. :lol So if indeed that is a tush or a Ginsu in flight, or an ice pick, what scene from what movie is it? The Jagged Edge? Basic Instinct? Anyone? :angel

But despite that rather pleasant-looking feminine gluteus maximus, it appears that a consensus is building... :love I believe Reverend Scapegoat was the first to guess the Crossed Hammers from Pink Floyd's The Wall, but since his post, others have remained unconvinced and have continued to take a crack at it. I'd like to let those who haven't yet had a chance to see today's clues examine them and perhaps come up with their own alternative guesses. (I mean, c'mon: Sporak sees buttocks. :lol )

And if anyone is wondering: I did *NOT* alter the image in any way - only cropped it to obscure some giveaway details and perhaps rotated it and changed the overall size.

Like I previously said, if someone posts a point-by-point analysis of all my hints, clues, and criteria in support of one guess or another, and I have no rational, factual, or logical cause for rebuttal, I will concede the guess as correct and call an early end to the contest. :D

- Gabe

Last edited by a moderator:
He never said it WASNT the hammers - I think he just wants someone to point out all his clues that suggest so. I went back through ever page of this thread, and everything seems to point to them -

- says the film is somewhat historical, along with other genres. As is The Wall

- three colors needed - black, red, and white.

- says the found item could most likely be seen on one specific channel - HGTV

- matches the picture he posted

- the symbol appears in different sizes throughout the movie

I'm sure there is a TV show showing a clip from it, I've just never seen it. And I know theres other clues I'm forgetting, its late :confused but nothing I read seemed to dispute the hammers.... SO.....

IS IT THE HAMMERS?.?.?.?.?

I don't know about the hammers. I don't think I'd want a quasi-fascist symbol in my house. I don't even like the Imperial cog. Thats just me. I'll continue to check back, but I haven't seen anything that makes me feel like I can guess correctly yet.

I think I can rule out the hammers anyway. Wasn't it said the screws only protrude a 1/2"? With the hammers crossed near the center, one hammer will be further away than the other hammer so the screws on one side wouldn't be long enough.

Originally posted by Hecubus114+Feb 6 2006, 11:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hecubus114 @ Feb 6 2006, 11:44 PM)</div>
He never said it WASNT the hammers - I think he just wants someone to point out all his clues that suggest so.  I went back through ever page of this thread, and everything seems to point to them -

- says the film is somewhat historical, along with other genres.   As is The Wall

- three colors needed - black, red, and white.

- says the found item could most likely be seen on one specific channel - HGTV

- matches the picture he posted

- the symbol appears in different sizes throughout the movie

I'm sure there is a TV show showing a clip from it, I've just never seen it.  And I know theres other clues I'm forgetting, its late  :confused  but nothing I read seemed to dispute the hammers.... SO.....

IS IT THE HAMMERS?.?.?.?.?
[snapback]1177898[/snapback]​
[/b]
I've got some bad news for you, sunshine... Just kidding. :p Actually, that's very good. :)

<!--QuoteBegin-wuher da brewer
@Feb 7 2006, 12:37 AM
I don't know about the hammers.  I don't think I'd want a quasi-fascist symbol in my house.  I don't even like the Imperial cog.
Hey, that's cool - they were both deliberately fashioned to be uncomfortable and disturbing, unmistakable signs of tyrannical regimes - symbols against which we could perceive and identify with unmistakable good. :) So, having expressed your feelings for abstract symbols, how do you feel about Imperial stromtroopers? ;)

Now go to sleep, fellas. Tomorrow I'll find out where you fans REALLY stand - I'll put you all out of your miseries and announce the prop AND the winner. :D

And like the movie that inspired it, my announcement will be...

MULTI-MEDIA, BABY...

:D :angel :love

Peace out.

- Gabe

Gabe isn't well, he's, uh, back at the hotel... He's wracked with guilt over repeatedly punishing you people with disinformation, false hints, and confusing clues. :angel So he sent me along as a surrogate host, and hopes that you'll all REALLY enjoy this post.
The_Wall_DVD_cover.jpg
hammer_march_PF.JPG

PF_Wall_UK_Poster.jpg
Hammer_march_round_sticker.jpg

scarfe2.jpg
PF_Wall_poster_bombers.jpg

And memorable clips from the movie:
hammers_25s.JPG

pink_5s.JPG
There are so many more scenes featuring the hammers in so many manifestations (real, animated, shadows, distorted, concertina wire posts, flags, banners, armbands, shirts, sheet music covers, belt buckles, etc.) that it would literally fill pages, so I hope by now everybody gets the idea... :p

To those who've never seen the film, here's the QuickTime trailer:

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=wall

So why did I one day simply decide to embark on this project? Well, I was at my local Home Depot browsing the tool aisle, and I came across bins full of hammers. The first thing that entered my head was the DAM-DA-DA-TA, DAM-DA-DA-TA hammer march theme from The Wall. I picked up a couple of the smaller hammers and crossed them, wondering how I could use them to make a wall-like display. So I bought two of them and when I got home I sketched a quick schematic of a Lincoln-logs type deal:

mating_hammers.JPG

I looked around the house for something circular and flat that would serve as a temporary backdrop, and I saw that the heavy steel base of a mannequin I have for my screen-used Logan's Run Sandman costume was the perfect diameter, so I disassembled it and started playing around, hoping to match the crossed-hammer banners that permeate the film:

floyd1.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

I e-mailed them and the schematic to my wood worker, who assured me it would be a piece of cake for him to make kits. The trick, he said, was to get the hammers aligned perfectly so that their ends would be equidistant from the plaque edges and that the cutouts in the handles would match up perfectly. Not an easy task without considerable trial and error, so I turned to my favorite tool: 3D CAD.

I first had to reverse-engineer the hammer I bought and model it up, and then save it as a new file and call it the "rear hammer," and give it an opposite cutout. Since experimentation in 3D CAD doesn't result in any ruined hammers and plaques, after some virtual trial and error, I nailed the interface and angle and created a simple wall mounted plaque, the rear of which you all saw in my first post.

I decided that wood screws from the rear would be the easiest and most aesthetic way to mount the hammers, so I decided to drill 2 holes in each hammer's handle and align them radially 70 degrees apart.

Here's the end result, presented in the multi-media spirit of The Wall as an animated GIF and QuickTime movie (which has no choppiness), courtesy of comrade-member Talesin, who used 105 individual frames I sent him (please don't ask how long that took me to export. :p ) to create this animation:

hammertime.gif

The QuickTime movie:

http://www.photoimagingtech.com/graphics/u...mertime-264.mov

And here's another animated GIF and QuickTime movie (83 frames this time) showing how the hammers and plaque assemble together:

hammertime2.gif

The QuickTime movie:

http://www.photoimagingtech.com/graphics/u...ertime2-264.mov

The kits will consist of the unpainted, pre-drilled and notched front and rear hammers, the unpainted, pre-drilled and key-holed plaque, and four #10 flathead phillips wood screws. The first prototype isn't done yet, but when it is, I'll of course post pics. In the meantime, if anybody would like more information, please revisit this post until I start an interest thread in the junkyard, at which time I'll add a link to it. NO PMs PLEASE - MY BOX IS FULL... :p

crossed_hammers.jpg

Here are three other cool props from The Wall that I'd like to find, so if anyone can identify these items, I'd be grateful:

Pink's Mickey Mouse watch:
Pinks_Mickey_Mouse_watch.JPG

Pink's hotel room vintage TV remote control:
Pinks_remote_control.JPG
This ultra-cool gas-mask mutant sculpture I found using Google images, previously offered here - www.toynk.com, but no longer in its catalog:

PF2Mutant.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me these last 4 days, I hope you enjoyed the show, and I now welcome your comments, questions, and feedback. :)

Reverend Scapegoat - you'll be hearing from me. :love

So for now, it's curtains.
curtains.JPG
- Pink :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by RKW@Feb 7 2006, 02:19 PM
Thank god I didn't win.
[snapback]1178350[/snapback]​
If anybody feels offended by this design, I want to make it clear that I don't have a single fascist bone in my body (c'mon, I live in California. :lol ) I'm aware of sensitivities to fascist symbols, and if anyone watches The Wall they would know that the album and film are cautionary tales about what happens when we suppress our individuality and conform to the will of the state or the fickle trends of the mainstream.

Just as Imperial storm troopers and the Imperial cog logo in Star Wars are metaphorical symbols of fascism and Nazism, they allow us to contrast and identify with the goodness and pure hearts of the heroes, yet we've mainstreamed the "Evil Empire," sith, and bounty hunter characters, and they're arguably more popular than the Rebels and Jedi in both the Old Trilogy and prequels.

Others of us collect props from Equillibrium and Blade Runner, Logan's Run, and Aeon Flux, all of which depict police states, and no doubt many of us will want props from V For Vendetta once it's released. In the world of props, at least, it seems we've all become desensitized to symbols and collect primarily for the "coolness factor." :D

I'm not trying to make any political statements here or moralize about the dangers of blind conformity, just wanted to present an iconic prop from an amazing Alan Parker film and have a jolly good time doing it. :)

- Gabe (yeah, Pink's back at the hotel now, enjoying the Jacuzzi ;) )

:confused sorry still taking it all in :D .......one of my favourite movies ever.
You can buy gasmask guy at forbidden planet ...it's from the 2nd edition of figures..they all link up...DROOL.I only have one piece :( .I'm glad I dont have to screw up my eyes at the picture hint you gave anymore, my head had started hurting...and besides there's several weird things in it if you zoom in and rotate..marching armies ...chestbursters :eek
Goodbye cruel post..it's over....walk on by. :lol

Thankyou for the entertainment

Woohoo :)

BTW... You talked about a "runner-up" prize?
If there is one, I reckon that should go to the guy who mentioned Floyd before me. I never even noticed his post ( Honestly. ) but he was on the right lines... Only seems fair he should get some 'gratz.

Ha. Very cool...
Ok, which image was the hint pic from?

You know, I've grown up with the music, but have never seen the movie...Drat.
Now I'll have to of course...

Originally posted by mandybat@Feb 7 2006, 02:39 PM
:confused  sorry still taking it all in :D .......one of my favourite movies ever.
You can buy gasmask guy at forbidden planet ...it's from the 2nd edition of figures..they all link up...DROOL.I only have one piece :( .I'm glad I dont have to screw up my eyes at the picture hint you gave anymore, my head had started hurting...and besides there's several weird things in it if you zoom in and rotate..marching armies ...chestbursters :eek

[snapback]1178363[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info and for the kind words. :) I'll have to look for gas mask mutant dude ASAP.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me: to all those who were, like Sporak, praying for sexy female buttocks, I've got some bad news for you, sunshines:

hint11a8pf.jpg

IMG_2175s.JPG

:D

Still, I admit it's a stretch better than seeing the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich. :lol

- Gabe

Originally posted by mandybat@Feb 7 2006, 02:39 PM
:confused  sorry still taking it all in :D .......one of my favourite movies ever.

[snapback]1178363[/snapback]​
DOH. :confused You're right... Doug (burningman) did mention The Wall but failed to name the prop (no editting, now, Doug. :p )

In fairness, I'll offer Doug a 50% discount if he decides he wants a kit. I don't have a price point yet, but it won't be unreasonable. :)

- Gabe

Hey, I guessed right without ever seeing the other guys guess.

I only read page nine of the thread.

I also would like to point out that those hammers don't really represent the shape of the hammer in the movie. Certainly the hammers do appear in many forms but they are pretty consistant.

The hammerheads need to have a flat surfaces ground in a vertical direction tapering to the back of the claw.

Also you need to toss the handles and replace them with tapered rods.

Just a suggestion to make the look better.

I have thought of doing this many time but jsut haven't found the right hammers.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back