Prop room and home theater ideas needed.

Well speaking personally darkside, I'd go for darker, richer colours for a home cinema (for obvious reasons if you want the brightest image on your TV/screen).

Purples, dark blues, black?? something subtle and not too distracting... I'm not sure I'd want to live surrounded by these colours all the time though, so if your home cinema is also your living room maybe dark curtains or panels that you can draw back to reveal your walls again afterwards would work?? They might also help with acoustics. Also that way the transformation isn't perminant if you want to use the room for something else. (That's another reason for a projector as well, as you can store it away when not in use).

Jeremy

Your an SS man..

SS models and posters.... A cool blue screen painted walls wouldn't hurt either.

ANH... SN TIE, CC X-wing Red leader, one spot left to fill. ;)
[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975435.jpeg[/image]

ESB... MR AT-AT V1, MR 3/4 Snowspeeder (SMT AT-AT next to it)
[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975672.jpeg[/image]

ROTJ.... eBay SS sized TIE Interceptor, Code3 AT-ST
[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137204039.jpeg[/image]

BSG OS... Jesse's great Viper and Radier kits and Monogram Raider from "Hand of the gods" episode
[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137976362.jpg[/image]

Lynn

Given the finances and space, I'd go: DLP projector, 100" screen, 7.2 THX certified surround, 2 rows (3 seats each) theater seating, 1 couch up front (for the more intimate times :love ), poster/prop set up (like mine), movie theater light sconces between posters and recessed spots above each poster. Color scheme would be dark red/ maroon walls with black trim.

But that's just me after I win the lotto :lol

-Fred

Wow you guys are really giving me some great ideas. Lynn, you're right I am a SS man. The dream for all the models is to be in a museum-like state. Again, hardwood floors, black, square pedistals and every model under a custom acrylic cover. Plain black display bases for each model with a simple plaque for each model. Wall color... I have no idea,recessed lighting. I always thought the McQuirre art prints from ANH, ESB, and ROTJ would be nice to have framed and on the walls. Simple you know with the focus being on the models. Actual props can go in another room.

The foucus would be on the largest models I've begun researching and will build . The ANH 5'Falcon,the ANH Star Destroyer and ESB Falcon. The smaller models will suround those. The ANH Y-wing, ANH Tie Fighter, ANH X-Wing (2), and ANH Escape Pod, ESB AT-AT, ESB Snowspeeder. I also have great prints for the Alien Narcissis I'd love to build, but that would need to be displayed elsewhere.

Love all the ideas for the theater room. I don't think the room will be big enough for theater sitting though, and I'm still not sure about the colors. I have to deal with the woodwork/trim which has been painted white. The wall which is all shelving and cabinets is also white. I figured the shelves could display props and the cabinets, DVD storage and media control components. But again the white is an issue for a room like that don't you think? It's more or less a square room 18'x16' I think, with two large windows in a corner.

Keep them coming. :D

I'm sure everyone that has researched the DLPs knows, Bulbs can cost half as much as the projector to replace. Check into bulb prices, if you go that route. For screens, you can get the material online to make your own, or if you have the wall space and a smooth wall, you can paint your own screen. Here's an idea to fit with the victoran theme of the house... you can make your own projector and disguise it as an old 5x7 camera.
Some of ther newer DLPs will also give good viewing in daylight, so darkened rooms aren't necessary. How high are your ceilings? you may be able to fit tiered seating in the room.

You will rarely replace a bulb though...maybe after 2000-3000 hours and they are about $500...so that's not half the price.

I'm around 1200 hours and have had my projector for over 2 years now.

Originally posted by Gruson@Apr 6 2006, 12:11 PM
You will rarely replace a bulb though...maybe after 2000-3000 hours and they are about $500...so that's not half the price.

I'm around 1200 hours and have had my projector for over 2 years now.
[snapback]1221090[/snapback]​

I've yet to see one run that much. Even when my DLP projector was brand new the bulbs only ran at the most 300 dollars....

What type of video display you choose should be dictated by the room size, ambient light, and how far you think you're seating area will be from the screen. If the room is one with lots of windows, or doorways through which you'll get lots of ambient light, a front projector with a screen may not be the best way to go, unless you're planning on only screening movies at night. Sometimes HT dreams need to be tempered with the more practical side of reality.

If you have a dark room, or a space in the basement, a front projector is the way to go. Rooms with lots of ambient light, windows, etc..a flat panel, or even RPTV is probably the better choice in that instance. RPTVs have come a LONG way.

For flat panels, if that's what you opt for, plasma is the better option. You'll get larger sizes for the dollar spent in comparison to LCDs, and typically you'll get a much better image all around in comparison to LCD. You won't have bulb changes to worry about, or diminishing picture quality as the bulb ages. In terms of service life, LCD and plasma have pretty much evened up. Plasmas tend to have a half life of anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 viewing hours or more. For the money and the picture quality, go with plasma. Ignore all those urban myths that you'll hear about them. In the eight years that my company has dealt in plasmas and LCDs, plasmas have actually proven much more reliable and better performers across the board.

If you go with a projector, you can honestly find a number of gorgeous looking units in the $3000 to $5000 price range in both LCD and DLP formats that will knock your socks off. Sony makes a great LCD, the VP-HSL51...I think. Of course, there's always the added little (but not inexpensive) extras with any design...mounting bracktets, cabling, etc. The devil is in the details.

For audio, I'm a loyal follower of Paradigm. Look at their line, and no matter the speaker, the reviews and quality are through the roof. Prices are reasonable and performance is AMAZING. I'm a big fan of their Monitor series. You will NOT be disappointed. Find a dealer and give them a listen. Nothing I can tell you about those speakers will do them any justice. Hearing is believing.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back