Prop room and home theater ideas needed.

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
Ok I really need some decorating ideas. My grandmother wants to move to a retirement cottage. She's 93. My mom who legaly owns her home asked me if I'd take over the house. A massive two story victorian. All the floors are hardwood, much of the walls need refinished, some upgrades need installed etc.

But I really would like to get some ideas for a prop display room and a home theater room. Please post what you have accomplished.

Thanks,

Jamie

I've recently moved to Wellywood and into a new house (I still have a place in my hometown though) and am also slowly setting up my HT and what little props I've got... I share with my bud and his lady so I have to keep the film influence to a minimum. Oh well. As long as they let me get my Sharpei. :p But I'll be interested to see what folks are doing. I've seen what Hyperdyne has done and it looks great. And don't get me started on Houdiniguy. :lol Just amazing.

Well for the home theater what did you have in mind for it, an actual movie theater or one that has like a plasma tv with surround sound?

Originally posted by MegaPrime33@Mar 24 2006, 08:00 AM
Well for the home theater what did you have in mind for it, an actual movie theater or one that has like a plasma tv with surround sound?
[snapback]1212296[/snapback]​

Plasma with surround.

Come on guys need some more pics. Thanks for those posted so far.

One thing .. I work at an 80 year old building with some hard wood floors and all, and I beg you, don't change a thing about the general look.

Try and incorporate the look of the house with the modern props and technology. It will give a great contrast if done right :)

Originally posted by Kris@Mar 24 2006, 06:44 PM
One thing .. I work at an 80 year old building with some hard wood floors and all, and I beg you, don't change a thing about the general look.

Try and incorporate the look of the house with the modern props and technology. It will give a great contrast if done right :)
[snapback]1212711[/snapback]​

The thing is over the years the original walls (plaster I assume) has been covered up with wall paper, or paneling. I would like to strip the walls etc down to the plaster and have them skim coated to I can paint. The woodwork/trim is in great shape but unfortunatly much of it has been painted... a crime I know. The upper bathroon will get totally gutted and expanded. I have to do a lot in order to bring the place back to a former glory of sorts.

Got pics and dimensions of the room you intend to convert to a home theater?

Might spark some creative ideas.

First thing that came to mind when you siad Victorian was horror motif. It could keep Victorian influence intact while going for the classic horror filmera.

I would go with smooth walls in the theater room. If the walls are plaster try to sand as much of that down that you can. You can use regular compound to fill any imprfections. Get the inclosed speakers that are in the wall to clean things up a bit. Since you have hard wood floors I would go with a dark red rug or carpet but don't go wall to wall. Just do a walkway and maybe around the seating area.

If you wanted to go steath you could build a faux frame around the plasma screen and have a PC cycle through victorian paintings. Though theater seating around a painting would look weird - so you would have to come up with something there

Hope this gets the wheels rolling

-Deric

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Mar 24 2006, 07:25 AM
Ok I really need some decorating ideas. My grandmother wants to move to a retirement cottage. She's 93. My mom who legaly owns her home asked me if I'd take over the house. A massive two story victorian. All the floors are hardwood, much of the walls need refinished, some upgrades need installed etc.

But I really would like to get some ideas for a prop display room and a home theater room.  Please post what you have accomplished.

Thanks,

Jamie
[snapback]1212284[/snapback]​

Jamie,

Now you're going to have 2 money pits; props and a grand old house. That's one dilemma I could live with... :)

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you - looking for ideas. Moved into a new house last August. The focus has been on other rooms, and now with the arrival of spring, the yard. But, that big screen is lonely in the entertainment room. So far, just a sectional in classic red movie-seat fabric, an illuminated movie poster frame (some of the best money I ever spent) and the Hitachi.

Good luck.

Allan

plush red velvet curains, lighted wall sconces and armour covered mannequins would be the order of the day for a cinema room. Use chairs that are covered in red as well. A victorian home should have a victorian screening room. Have the curtains 'frame' the screen as well...

Depends on how much you want to spend. Me, I'd redecorate at least one room to TOS Star Trek bridge, or A Death Star command room. Something that when friends or non-prop nuts come over, they would immediately recognize it for what it was, a prop room.

For me, when my kids get older, and I want to redecorate one room in the house TOS Star Trek style, most practical is the captain's quarters, but dang, a bridge would be cool.

A plasma with surrounds?

Please no.

Buy a nice 720p DLP front projector (only around $3-5k now) and 100+" screen and set up a real home theater.

I am so tired of seeing tiny plasma sets and people calling them home theaters.

Plasma is so overrated. HD material on a huge screen is just incredible.

My IF 7200 and 119" screen set up:
hh13.jpg

ok, thats. just. awesome. Gruson. How big is that room tho'? Cinema rooms will always be dictated by the size of the room and my paltry 15 x 12 room with 3 large windows and 2 doors just ain't gonna support a screen that size. Do you have anymore pics of your set-up?
Jason

Originally posted by Gruson@Apr 3 2006, 03:21 PM
A plasma with surrounds?

Please no.

Buy a nice 720p DLP front projector (only around $3-5k now) and 100+" screen and set up a real home theater.

Plasma is so overrated.  HD material on a huge screen is just incredible.

My IF 7200 and 119" screen set up:
hh13.jpg

[snapback]1218981[/snapback]​

That's a nice set up Gruson :thumbsup .

That's the look I'm going for whaen I have the space. Right now, Mine is a miniturized version of that set up. Ultimately though, I do want to keep the props with the posters like I have now. I think it adds a touch of depth to the display; kind of giving a feeling like you're in a part of the movie - sorta, kinda, maybe :lol.

-Fred

Originally posted by Gruson@Apr 3 2006, 03:21 PM
A plasma with surrounds?

Please no.

Plasma is so overrated.  HD material on a huge screen is just incredible.

NOW we're talking. Love it Gruson :)

I'm looking at a HD projector on Thursday although my home cinema won't be nearly as expansive as yours looks (sadly).

I'd definantly go with a projector, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

Jeremy

Lovin the ideas guys. Gruson THAT looks very nice man.

I won't alter the hardwood floors or trim/woodwork. The floors do need refinished. Smooth walls throughout. Some more color ideas would be great for rooms in general.

Please keep the ideas and pictures coming.

Jamie

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back