Prop room and home theater ideas needed.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by DARKSIDE72, Mar 24, 2006.

1. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Ok I really need some decorating ideas. My grandmother wants to move to a retirement cottage. She's 93. My mom who legaly owns her home asked me if I'd take over the house. A massive two story victorian. All the floors are hardwood, much of the walls need refinished, some upgrades need installed etc.

But I really would like to get some ideas for a prop display room and a home theater room. Please post what you have accomplished.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. CTF

CTF Sr Member

I've recently moved to Wellywood and into a new house (I still have a place in my hometown though) and am also slowly setting up my HT and what little props I've got... I share with my bud and his lady so I have to keep the film influence to a minimum. Oh well. As long as they let me get my Sharpei. :p But I'll be interested to see what folks are doing. I've seen what Hyperdyne has done and it looks great. And don't get me started on Houdiniguy. :lol Just amazing.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well for the home theater what did you have in mind for it, an actual movie theater or one that has like a plasma tv with surround sound?

4. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

5. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Plasma with surround.

Come on guys need some more pics. Thanks for those posted so far.

6. Kris

Kris Sr Member

One thing .. I work at an 80 year old building with some hard wood floors and all, and I beg you, don't change a thing about the general look.

Try and incorporate the look of the house with the modern props and technology. It will give a great contrast if done right :)

7. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Old friend of mine owns this business. you might get some good ideas from here. He's amazing.

www.8250theaterworks.com

8. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

The thing is over the years the original walls (plaster I assume) has been covered up with wall paper, or paneling. I would like to strip the walls etc down to the plaster and have them skim coated to I can paint. The woodwork/trim is in great shape but unfortunatly much of it has been painted... a crime I know. The upper bathroon will get totally gutted and expanded. I have to do a lot in order to bring the place back to a former glory of sorts.

9. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Have you considered having someone paint a movie related fresco?

10. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got pics and dimensions of the room you intend to convert to a home theater?

Might spark some creative ideas.

First thing that came to mind when you siad Victorian was horror motif. It could keep Victorian influence intact while going for the classic horror filmera.

11. Deric

Deric Sr Member

I would go with smooth walls in the theater room. If the walls are plaster try to sand as much of that down that you can. You can use regular compound to fill any imprfections. Get the inclosed speakers that are in the wall to clean things up a bit. Since you have hard wood floors I would go with a dark red rug or carpet but don't go wall to wall. Just do a walkway and maybe around the seating area.

If you wanted to go steath you could build a faux frame around the plasma screen and have a PC cycle through victorian paintings. Though theater seating around a painting would look weird - so you would have to come up with something there

Hope this gets the wheels rolling

-Deric

12. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jamie,

Now you're going to have 2 money pits; props and a grand old house. That's one dilemma I could live with... :)

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you - looking for ideas. Moved into a new house last August. The focus has been on other rooms, and now with the arrival of spring, the yard. But, that big screen is lonely in the entertainment room. So far, just a sectional in classic red movie-seat fabric, an illuminated movie poster frame (some of the best money I ever spent) and the Hitachi.

Good luck.

Allan

13. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

plush red velvet curains, lighted wall sconces and armour covered mannequins would be the order of the day for a cinema room. Use chairs that are covered in red as well. A victorian home should have a victorian screening room. Have the curtains 'frame' the screen as well...

14. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Depends on how much you want to spend. Me, I'd redecorate at least one room to TOS Star Trek bridge, or A Death Star command room. Something that when friends or non-prop nuts come over, they would immediately recognize it for what it was, a prop room.

For me, when my kids get older, and I want to redecorate one room in the house TOS Star Trek style, most practical is the captain's quarters, but dang, a bridge would be cool.

15. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

A plasma with surrounds?

Please no.

Buy a nice 720p DLP front projector (only around $3-5k now) and 100+" screen and set up a real home theater.

I am so tired of seeing tiny plasma sets and people calling them home theaters.

Plasma is so overrated. HD material on a huge screen is just incredible.

My IF 7200 and 119" screen set up:
    [​IMG]

16. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ok, thats. just. awesome. Gruson. How big is that room tho'? Cinema rooms will always be dictated by the size of the room and my paltry 15 x 12 room with 3 large windows and 2 doors just ain't gonna support a screen that size. Do you have anymore pics of your set-up?
    Jason

17. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

PM sent.

18. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

That's a nice set up Gruson :thumbsup .

That's the look I'm going for whaen I have the space. Right now, Mine is a miniturized version of that set up. Ultimately though, I do want to keep the props with the posters like I have now. I think it adds a touch of depth to the display; kind of giving a feeling like you're in a part of the movie - sorta, kinda, maybe :lol.

-Fred

19. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

NOW we're talking. Love it Gruson :)

I'm looking at a HD projector on Thursday although my home cinema won't be nearly as expansive as yours looks (sadly).

I'd definantly go with a projector, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

Jeremy

20. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Lovin the ideas guys. Gruson THAT looks very nice man.

I won't alter the hardwood floors or trim/woodwork. The floors do need refinished. Smooth walls throughout. Some more color ideas would be great for rooms in general.

Please keep the ideas and pictures coming.

Jamie

21. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Well speaking personally darkside, I'd go for darker, richer colours for a home cinema (for obvious reasons if you want the brightest image on your TV/screen).

Purples, dark blues, black?? something subtle and not too distracting... I'm not sure I'd want to live surrounded by these colours all the time though, so if your home cinema is also your living room maybe dark curtains or panels that you can draw back to reveal your walls again afterwards would work?? They might also help with acoustics. Also that way the transformation isn't perminant if you want to use the room for something else. (That's another reason for a projector as well, as you can store it away when not in use).

Jeremy

22. Deric

Deric Sr Member

I've heard this is a good DLP projector for the money

Sams Club

and This one

Sams Club 2

edit forgot to link second projector

23. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Your an SS man..

SS models and posters.... A cool blue screen painted walls wouldn't hurt either.

ANH... SN TIE, CC X-wing Red leader, one spot left to fill. ;)
    [image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975435.jpeg[/image]

ESB... MR AT-AT V1, MR 3/4 Snowspeeder (SMT AT-AT next to it)
    [image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975672.jpeg[/image]

ROTJ.... eBay SS sized TIE Interceptor, Code3 AT-ST
    [image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137204039.jpeg[/image]

BSG OS... Jesse's great Viper and Radier kits and Monogram Raider from "Hand of the gods" episode
    [image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137976362.jpg[/image]

Lynn

24. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Given the finances and space, I'd go: DLP projector, 100" screen, 7.2 THX certified surround, 2 rows (3 seats each) theater seating, 1 couch up front (for the more intimate times :love ), poster/prop set up (like mine), movie theater light sconces between posters and recessed spots above each poster. Color scheme would be dark red/ maroon walls with black trim.

But that's just me after I win the lotto :lol

-Fred

25. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Wow you guys are really giving me some great ideas. Lynn, you're right I am a SS man. The dream for all the models is to be in a museum-like state. Again, hardwood floors, black, square pedistals and every model under a custom acrylic cover. Plain black display bases for each model with a simple plaque for each model. Wall color... I have no idea,recessed lighting. I always thought the McQuirre art prints from ANH, ESB, and ROTJ would be nice to have framed and on the walls. Simple you know with the focus being on the models. Actual props can go in another room.

The foucus would be on the largest models I've begun researching and will build . The ANH 5'Falcon,the ANH Star Destroyer and ESB Falcon. The smaller models will suround those. The ANH Y-wing, ANH Tie Fighter, ANH X-Wing (2), and ANH Escape Pod, ESB AT-AT, ESB Snowspeeder. I also have great prints for the Alien Narcissis I'd love to build, but that would need to be displayed elsewhere.

Love all the ideas for the theater room. I don't think the room will be big enough for theater sitting though, and I'm still not sure about the colors. I have to deal with the woodwork/trim which has been painted white. The wall which is all shelving and cabinets is also white. I figured the shelves could display props and the cabinets, DVD storage and media control components. But again the white is an issue for a room like that don't you think? It's more or less a square room 18'x16' I think, with two large windows in a corner.

Keep them coming. :D

26. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Where would one get a good screen from?

27. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

I'm sure everyone that has researched the DLPs knows, Bulbs can cost half as much as the projector to replace. Check into bulb prices, if you go that route. For screens, you can get the material online to make your own, or if you have the wall space and a smooth wall, you can paint your own screen. Here's an idea to fit with the victoran theme of the house... you can make your own projector and disguise it as an old 5x7 camera.
    Some of ther newer DLPs will also give good viewing in daylight, so darkened rooms aren't necessary. How high are your ceilings? you may be able to fit tiered seating in the room.

28. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

You will rarely replace a bulb though...maybe after 2000-3000 hours and they are about $500...so that's not half the price.

I'm around 1200 hours and have had my projector for over 2 years now.

29. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

The ceilings are 12' in that room.

30. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

I've yet to see one run that much. Even when my DLP projector was brand new the bulbs only ran at the most 300 dollars....

31. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

What type of video display you choose should be dictated by the room size, ambient light, and how far you think you're seating area will be from the screen. If the room is one with lots of windows, or doorways through which you'll get lots of ambient light, a front projector with a screen may not be the best way to go, unless you're planning on only screening movies at night. Sometimes HT dreams need to be tempered with the more practical side of reality.

If you have a dark room, or a space in the basement, a front projector is the way to go. Rooms with lots of ambient light, windows, etc..a flat panel, or even RPTV is probably the better choice in that instance. RPTVs have come a LONG way.

For flat panels, if that's what you opt for, plasma is the better option. You'll get larger sizes for the dollar spent in comparison to LCDs, and typically you'll get a much better image all around in comparison to LCD. You won't have bulb changes to worry about, or diminishing picture quality as the bulb ages. In terms of service life, LCD and plasma have pretty much evened up. Plasmas tend to have a half life of anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 viewing hours or more. For the money and the picture quality, go with plasma. Ignore all those urban myths that you'll hear about them. In the eight years that my company has dealt in plasmas and LCDs, plasmas have actually proven much more reliable and better performers across the board.

If you go with a projector, you can honestly find a number of gorgeous looking units in the $3000 to $5000 price range in both LCD and DLP formats that will knock your socks off. Sony makes a great LCD, the VP-HSL51...I think. Of course, there's always the added little (but not inexpensive) extras with any design...mounting bracktets, cabling, etc. The devil is in the details.

For audio, I'm a loyal follower of Paradigm. Look at their line, and no matter the speaker, the reviews and quality are through the roof. Prices are reasonable and performance is AMAZING. I'm a big fan of their Monitor series. You will NOT be disappointed. Find a dealer and give them a listen. Nothing I can tell you about those speakers will do them any justice. Hearing is believing.